• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RIOT HEAT EXCHANGER

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
a NEW THREAD from question in the Riot gas can thread, request picture of how I mounted a heat exchanger on the Riot Kt.

The heat exchanger I used I had buit 4 or 5 years ago for my 2013 TS kit. I ordered snowmobile heat exchanger stock from WAHL BROS. Seems to be about $15 a foot. Then you find spigots and tig weld it up. Kinda lazy doing my riot, this one looked ok.
Picture shows it in the tunnel, has about 3/4" clearance, more that I remember on an old TS kit.
Included pictures to show how its plumbed on my 2013 KTM 500, used regular old Gates hose, silicone 90degree bends right off the bike, when I'm riding this is all covered with plastic.

So the Riot head exchanger is 12" by 8" about 96 sq inches of aluminum, mounted tigh up against the rear pan which acts then somewhat as a heat sink also.

I included a picture of a 3 1/2" by 11 1/4" or 39.3 sq inches heat exchanger that I ran two of these ( so 79 sq " with that set up }on the older TS tube frame kit. What I found was to keep 190 degree heat in my KTM 500, I could drop one of the these small heat exchanger and only run one of the 39,3 sq inch heat exchanges and no problem cooling even in spring hard trals if there is any snow kicking up.

My KTM runs so much better , just nice and clean and crisp at 190 degrees that running radiators just isn't an option.

Picture also of this setup with my Race Car plastic covers on last years setup and going back on for this year.

With heat exchangers, 190 thermostat, plastic covers/plastic skid pan, in cold 20 degree new 2 ft drop I had to cover the back of my engine and build plastic covers to defect the track from throwing snow up on to the back of the engine, breaking in trail 180 degrees really burning throughthe fuel, 190 when I would pull into Dan's track. Fact is I had to turn off my heated handle bars to get the temps that high.

So if you run radiators and a thermostat and don't run a heat gauge to know, you won't know how much performance
you give up or how hard it is on your motor when all you can get is 150 degrees out of the bike...........well that's my story.

20191118_092005.jpg 20191118_091323.jpg 20191118_091349.jpg 20191118_091315.jpg 20191118_091407.jpg 20191118_092420.jpg 20190110_144913.jpg

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
a NEW THREAD from question in the Riot gas can thread, request picture of how I mounted a heat exchanger on the Riot Kt.

The heat exchanger I used I had buit 4 or 5 years ago for my 2013 TS kit. I ordered snowmobile heat exchanger stock from WAHL BROS. Seems to be about $15 a foot. Then you find spigots and tig weld it up. Kinda lazy doing my riot, this one looked ok.
Picture shows it in the tunnel, has about 3/4" clearance, more that I remember on an old TS kit.
Included pictures to show how its plumbed on my 2013 KTM 500, used regular old Gates hose, silicone 90degree bends right off the bike, when I'm riding this is all covered with plastic.

So the Riot head exchanger is 12" by 8" about 96 sq inches of aluminum, mounted tigh up against the rear pan which acts then somewhat as a heat sink also.

I included a picture of a 3 1/2" by 11 1/4" or 39.3 sq inches heat exchanger that I ran two of these ( so 79 sq " with that set up }on the older TS tube frame kit. What I found was to keep 190 degree heat in my KTM 500, I could drop one of the these small heat exchanger and only run one of the 39,3 sq inch heat exchanges and no problem cooling even in spring hard trals if there is any snow kicking up.

My KTM runs so much better , just nice and clean and crisp at 190 degrees that running radiators just isn't an option.

Picture also of this setup with my Race Car plastic covers on last years setup and going back on for this year.

With heat exchangers, 190 thermostat, plastic covers/plastic skid pan, in cold 20 degree new 2 ft drop I had to cover the back of my engine and build plastic covers to defect the track from throwing snow up on to the back of the engine, breaking in trail 180 degrees really burning throughthe fuel, 190 when I would pull into Dan's track. Fact is I had to turn off my heated handle bars to get the temps that high.

So if you run radiators and a thermostat and don't run a heat gauge to know, you won't know how much performance
you give up or how hard it is on your motor when all you can get is 150 degrees out of the bike...........well that's my story.
Heat exchangers are where its at... always makes tuning and how the bike runs a piece of cake;)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Catsledman1, great write up. Have you, or anyone elsed on here, put heat exchangers in a 16' yeti tunnel? C3 had a single small exchanger that required leaving one radiator so I passed. I certainly like the idea, going to look at my tunnel again. Did you happen to get a message I sent you about a week ago? wondering if I did it right.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Catsledman1, great write up. Have you, or anyone elsed on here, put heat exchangers in a 16' yeti tunnel? C3 had a single small exchanger that required leaving one radiator so I passed. I certainly like the idea, going to look at my tunnel again. Did you happen to get a message I sent you about a week ago? wondering if I did it right.

As noted, doesn't take much of a heat exchanger to cool your bike. I run a right side radiator completely covered just to make adding coolant and have a radiator cap easy. If the price is right, try their heat exchanger. I will see if I can figure out the new PM, tried and couldn't find it.

Apr 22, 2009
I had trouble with my Husaberg getting hot tried double fans. Built this combo skid plate heat exchanger, I doubled my coolant capacity and now no more heating issues

20191018_114609.jpg

Apr 22, 2009
I have a friend ran a 570 no problems, the 650 as a snow bike climbing hills and running through trees doesn't seem to get enough air across the radiator to keep it cool. Running down the road it was fine but going slow it got hot. Heat exchanger fixed it. Seems the 650 only holds about a quart of water.

R
Dec 28, 2007
Any concerns about track contact ? I was concerned about mounting a rotopax mount in a similar location . I can push the track up to the tunnel pretty easily .

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
It's got several inches of clearance. I just moved my HX from my ARO to the RIOT without issue. It really is amazing on the cr500 how well it works to have perfect temps. I also run a radiator on that bike on a second thermostat at a higher temp as a backup circuit. But I've only needed it before I added ice scrapers on long ice runs.

S
Mar 2, 2018
also, the artic cat EXT550 exchanger (mine is a 92) is perfect for timbersleds. You can get them on ebay for like 50 bucks.
Where are you mounting the Arctic Cat EX550 Heat Exchanger? On the Tunnel? I bought a bigger one on Ebay for like $100 and now I've cut it down so it'll fit under the "Tunnel", but wishing I would've known these ones work. They look like they have a weird angle in them, so I'm wondering where you mounted yours?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I mounded mine on a 15 then plumbed it I thought the tunnel... I change the in amd out on mine so it would work better with the timbersled set up...

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

S
Mar 2, 2018
I mounded mine on a 15 then plumbed it I thought the tunnel... I change the in amd out on mine so it would work better with the timbersled set up...

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk
Just got the EXT550 exchanger from Ebay and having a hard time visualizing where/how exactly to mount/plumb it. Can you send a couple pics?

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Be sure to use some stainless bolts, washers, and nylon lock nuts mounting it. I used rivets on the initial run and the pulled through.

T
Nov 4, 2018
I have been fooling with my temps for a while, and finally followed CatSledMan's write up. I live and trailhead at 8000', outside of Durango. We ride up to 12k, lots of powder, always having problems with my YZ450 running cold , often running in double digit engine temps. I first tried plastic radiator blockers. Then I deleted the secondary radiator, that brought the temps up to about 130 in powder. About a month ago a bought three foot of heat exchanger stock from Wahl's, and dove in to this project. Crash bars.jpgI removed both radiators, and guards. Used the stock YZ rad guard mounting holes to mount crash bars. I found what I think is and old bunk bed ladder, and chopped it up.
front plastic.jpgI mounted race car plastic to the frame, and rolled it under to the rear skid plate mount point.
20200209_155453.jpgI'm working in an unheated garage, and even with apply a heat gun for quite a while, the plastic wants to fold back to its original shape. I am going to cut much of the "side wings" off, I'm just experimenting with the shape for now to see how it deflects deep powder.
T bob and coolant bottle.jpgCoolant bottle from Wahl's, with analog temp cap. T bob below.
HX mounted.jpgHeat exchanger mounted, and on first test ride.
HX.jpgCatSledMan said his HX was about 12" long, which when looking at mine, I was sure it was too small. I now wish I had made it 15-20% smaller.
shakedown run 2.jpgThis is at the trailhead, before its first run.
shakedown run 3.jpgRear view.

I have about six miles of forest service road before cut cut off in to fields/powder. During this project, I added a scratcher to the front ski, but I am not used to having it, and forget to use it. I have now ridden it four times with this set up. About 4 or 5 miles up the trail, my temps will climb to 190, at which point I stop, throw some powder on the engine, and continue. Once riding hard in the powder, I seem to be maintaining about 170 to 175.

My next step is to make an engine jacket.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Since my write up this fall I have eliminated my right side radiator and used an ARCTIC cat ZRT 600 fill "t" and never looked back.
With a homemade thermobob and 190 thermo stat it runs real consistent 182 degrees, my pals with same setup runs 191 ? dont figure.chit hapens.

Yesterday near perfect riding in sun 12" of new dense powder on great base. Two riding partners on KTM with engine jackets, they wanted to tree ride and it was perfect fun, but......... we had to stop and cool their 240 plus degree motor every 10 minutes or so, my bike running on the button at 182 . Been with them on spring rides, just gets worse in warm weather wet corn snow.

I've searched ebay for nice flat small heat exchangers.........so far nada. If someone has a model that works without having to get out the tig welder please post. So far all the old cat heat exchanger I have looked at have about a third of the surface area in a 35 degree bend . I have cut and flattened those but would like to find a better substitute.

Premium Features