• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rigid Skid on expert.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
What do you think of the rigid skid? You can only get the 175" with the rigid skid and I am not sure what that would be like? I love the T-motion on my 850 175", it is super maneuverable. I think with the rigid skid I would have to work harder to throw it around. Might consider going down to a 165" expert or a 165" summit X with T-motion. However I want the turbo and I am worried that the 165" turbo will lift the skiis too much when climbing? If they had a 175" summit X I wouldn't think twice about ordering one.

C
Mar 15, 2018
Once you ride a locked out rear skid you will never go back. Pulls over easier and holds its line in the hill. Switched out every sled that has had t motion for lock out.
This is what I don't get. People that don't like T motion say it is for noobs because it makes the sled easier to put on edge. Some say locking it out makes it easier too put on edge. It can't be both. If locking it out makes it easier to put on edge, why is t-motion there in the first place??. I have no dog in this fight as I have no opinion one way or another but find the anti TMotion narrative difficult to follow sometimes. FWIW, I rode a friends 155, SKS Polaris (with 34" A-arms) the other day and found it easier to put on edge than my new '22 Summit X 165. Totally different skids of course.

C
Mar 15, 2018
I agree....locked out sled is way more predictable for advanced rider...all expert skids have rigid from what i have read
I would think that "predictable" would be more important to a novice rider since an "experienced" rider should be able to overcome any unpredictability they encounter. I struggle with the narrative that T-motion is too unpredictable for an experienced rider and therefore is best suited to a novice. Seems counter intuitive to me.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Order the expert 175 and give the rigid skid a try. If you don't like it, you could easily find someone to sway with you.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I would think that "predictable" would be more important to a novice rider since an "experienced" rider should be able to overcome any unpredictability they encounter. I struggle with the narrative that T-motion is too unpredictable for an experienced rider and therefore is best suited to a novice. Seems counter intuitive to me.
The more advanced rider is usually going into hairier situations where it's important to know what the sled is going to do under you. I don't mind the T motion in the more open areas, but the tighter it gets the less I like it.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I have owned a 175 & 165 both ended up locked out. I don't notice much when it comes to getting on edge between locked and not. I do feel it holds a line much better especially at slow speeds. I would not let ski lift worry you on a 165, I actually let my strap out some for more lift.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I've had raptors ace since 18 and had it swapped onto my 22 x before I even picked it up. If on the same hill same day one stock and my locked out ace you'd never ride a stock skid Doo again. It's that obvious. So I can totally see why they did that. TMO x locked expert everyone wins

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Locked out will be more controllable/predictable in technical, on edge terrain for more advanced riders where you are dragging the side panel and running board on the up hill slope. Most people don’t ride like that, those are T-motion people.
T-motion and flex edge were designed (IMO) as a fix for the crappy xp/xm chassis.

B

big_red1a

Oct 23, 2008
Here's my take, if you are more likely to play in meadows, and like to "carve" similar to down hill skis, making big S's and boondocking, this is nearly effortless on a t-motion with flex edge track. The expert on the other hand with a lock out T-motion XT and full rod track is designed to hold an edge in very steep terrain where the goal is more of a linear path that you must commit to with consequences for washing out. It will take more effort to get to this position but once there will provide more stability and confidence in maintaining the edge. It's nice that Ski-doo provided options and we can pick the model that best suits our riding style.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
This is what I don't get. People that don't like T motion say it is for noobs because it makes the sled easier to put on edge. Some say locking it out makes it easier too put on edge. It can't be both. If locking it out makes it easier to put on edge, why is t-motion there in the first place??. I have no dog in this fight as I have no opinion one way or another but find the anti TMotion narrative difficult to follow sometimes. FWIW, I rode a friends 155, SKS Polaris (with 34" A-arms) the other day and found it easier to put on edge than my new '22 Summit X 165. Totally different skids of course.
Non tmotion is initially harder to pull up til the off ski is about 8-10” off the floor then it gets easier than a tmotion. When tmotion hits its limit on its range of motion, it gets harder.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Is this the first time Ski-Doo has offered this part? Debating if I should add this to my snowcheck.
Yes, as an accessory. You could doo what I did though and buy the c-motion stuff to lock it out.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
This is one part though, isn't the C-Mo conversion a bunch? Oh, plus, different skid, bet the C-Mo stuff won't work. Different geometry.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
This is one part though, isn't the C-Mo conversion a bunch? Oh, plus, different skid, bet the C-Mo stuff won't work. Different geometry.
All that is true. I was referring to what you can doo on a G4 to lock it out.

Much easier to lock out on a G5.

I am curious what the other changes to the skid doo, like moving the rear arm back.

Premium Features