• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding with a heart pacemaker

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Anyone riding with a heart pacemaker? I just had one implanted. I'm not a hard rider but do like to get off trail. Don't use a tec vest now but wondering if I should get one to protect the pacemaker. Any experiences or thoughts?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Johndee.com

You ever been on that site? John is a sledder / private forecaster that lives in the UP of Michigan. There is an "Ask John" section in the message board, Ask him about it. He has been through this and still rides. Eric

POWERBLENDER

Lifetime Membership
May 27, 2008
Great Falls ,MT
my father rode for two years with pacemaker/defibulator? . motor cycles atvs and sleds no issues . he was 68 at the time so not a super aggressive rider . we would take a lot of rest breaks though . they did give him a list of stuff he could not do such as welding magnufluxing etc . I think it boils down to your bodies conditioning , take it slow and work your way into it and start doing exercises now . Live to ride - Ride to live

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I have one and I just do what ever I want, mine has an automatic rate increase when you start exercising ( I call it the sport mode ) it does take a minute to react to exercise and you may get a little winded during that time. I'm what they call pacemaker dependent and I just figure the mountains would be a good place to go if something went wrong. I'm into shooting sports so I had mine installed on the off side, nothing much seems to bother it except the electrical current items. They get to a point you forget they are even there.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
my father rode for two years with pacemaker/defibulator? . motor cycles atvs and sleds no issues . he was 68 at the time so not a super aggressive rider . we would take a lot of rest breaks though . they did give him a list of stuff he could not do such as welding magnufluxing etc . I think it boils down to your bodies conditioning , take it slow and work your way into it and start doing exercises now . Live to ride - Ride to live

I am in no way qualified to give actual true medical advice regarding something like this...but that sounds like sound advice.
I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express though.

I have one and I just do what ever I want, mine has an automatic rate increase when you start exercising ( I call it the sport mode) it does take a minute to react to exercise and you may get a little winded during that time. I'm what they call pacemaker dependent and I just figure the mountains would be a good place to go if something went wrong. I'm into shooting sports so I had mine installed on the off side, nothing much seems to bother it except the electrical current items. They get to a point you forget they are even there.

HAHAHAHA. I like that.

Don't ride under the power lines...
Is that an opinion or actual medical advice? LOL
In all sincerity, do you have experience on this one?

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Riding under power lines......

I have ridden under pwr, lines for hours at a time..... on a dirt bike. It affects us,. Not medical advice.. but when you think it does, it just might! This is also true in high electro magnetic fields such as a generator rooms with several gens. /motors running. Environmental lab. Power co's and telephone co,s will deny... I'm sure. Affects me on a bike, don't know why it wouldn't on a sled.

B
Jul 15, 2020
If your father done exercises during that period of time, then It'd be great if you share those. Walking is the least exercises which I know you can perform at any time. But if there are some other exercises which your father did, please share those.

Premium Features