• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding Revy and crossing boarder

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Forgive me as I know this topic has been beat to death. Am going to Revy this year from the states and just wondering what to expect as far as crossing the boarder. What's required? I assume passport, proof of insurance for truck and sleds. What else? Also, what type of trail passes are required for the sled and how much do they typically cost? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Forgive me as I know this topic has been beat to death. Am going to Revy this year from the states and just wondering what to expect as far as crossing the boarder. What's required? I assume passport, proof of insurance for truck and sleds. What else? Also, what type of trail passes are required for the sled and how much do they typically cost? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Going the other way and back we never have any issues but yes you need the paperwork you mention just incase. Also the day passes in Revy are expensive if you are paying for a few days. $25/day. Yearly passes are definitely worth it if you plan on more than 6-7 days a season. Sleds need provincial OR state registration now too and they have been checking the last couple years at the staging areas. At least you have the exchange rate on your side!

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I've been to Canada 4 or 5 times now. You do need a passport, I've been told if you've ever had a DUI they will not let you in. I always have registrations and insurance cards for truck and sled ready. They have never wanted to see that. I do believe the trail pass is $25.00 a day.

Now for a couple more tips. I have state farm insurance. I call my insurance company and have them e mail me Canadian insurance cards. needed? Not a clue but I have them anyway. I also call my cell phone provider and add the international plan set up for the time I'm going to be there. I call my bank and tell them not to turn off my credit or debit card if they see charges in Canada. They did try to turn my credit card off once. luckily I got the phone call. I always take a few hundred in cash just in case. I think about everyplace in Canada will take US dollars but not give you anything for the exchange rate. Pay for everything with your credit card. At least I do, My credit card company charges me 1% for the exchange rate. I could not find a better deal than that.

PS. Even the trail head stations that i went to took credit cards

Hope that helps some and have a great time.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I've been to Canada 4 or 5 times now. You do need a passport, I've been told if you've ever had a DUI they will not let you in. I always have registrations and insurance cards for truck and sled ready. They have never wanted to see that. I do believe the trail pass is $25.00 a day.

Now for a couple more tips. I have state farm insurance. I call my insurance company and have them e mail me Canadian insurance cards. needed? Not a clue but I have them anyway. I also call my cell phone provider and add the international plan set up for the time I'm going to be there. I call my bank and tell them not to turn off my credit or debit card if they see charges in Canada. They did try to turn my credit card off once. luckily I got the phone call. I always take a few hundred in cash just in case. I think about everyplace in Canada will take US dollars but not give you anything for the exchange rate. Pay for everything with your credit card. At least I do, My credit card company charges me 1% for the exchange rate. I could not find a better deal than that.

PS. Even the trail head stations that i went to took credit cards

Hope that helps some and have a great time.

Capital One cards have no exchange rate fee. Just an FYI. :face-icon-small-win

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If you have criminal history, no matter how long ago, learn about it and check with customs. Lots of stuff is NOT a big deal, but as mentioned, stupid stuff like a DUI is a NO GO. No matter the age.

As for what to bring with you. Maybe you should have more but I have never had to show more then just my passport. I used to bring sled registrations etc. and obviously truck has reg/insurance in it. But usually you show up, show passport, answer a few quick questions and off you go.

Letting credit card know you are travling is always smart. As mentioned, they are hard to beat for exchange rate handling. Cash is sort of dumb to jerk around with.

Trail passes. If your riding main zones in revy you have to buy a daily pass which is 20 or 25 a day. Purchased at trailhead. More remote zones have nothing. Go ride and enjoy! Make sure to check the maps depending on zones and know about the caribou closures. Usually well signed. Just nice to plan rides accordingly.

http://revelstokesnowmobileclub.com/

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate the info. I've ridden almost every state West of the Mississippi to include Alaska, and Revy has been on my bucket list for a long time. Am driving from Albuquerque NM so I want to make sure I'm well prepared. Sounds like I should be good to go (squeaky clean record). Any great places to eat would be appreciated as well. Thanks again!

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Going the other way and back we never have any issues but yes you need the paperwork you mention just incase. Also the day passes in Revy are expensive if you are paying for a few days. $25/day. Yearly passes are definitely worth it if you plan on more than 6-7 days a season. Sleds need provincial OR state registration now too and they have been checking the last couple years at the staging areas. At least you have the exchange rate on your side!

Now by Provincial or State, you mean my U.S. State Registration?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
As for having a DUI. I have 2, and have been to Canada 3 times. Once on a snowmobile trip the mountee asked if anyone had a DUI. I said I did, and he asked just one! I lied and said yaw just one, and he let us through. The other two times were in the passport days, and they new even asked about DUIs. So I guess it’s a crapshoot, but I herd they are more lenient on DUI’s because of loss of tourism.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate the info. I've ridden almost every state West of the Mississippi to include Alaska, and Revy has been on my bucket list for a long time. Am driving from Albuquerque NM so I want to make sure I'm well prepared. Sounds like I should be good to go (squeaky clean record). Any great places to eat would be appreciated as well. Thanks again!

Hard to beat Zalas in revy for a place to get a bite after the ride. Great food and sledder friendly

Jake

Premium Features