• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding north from Strawberry Bay Marina and Lodge to Vernal Utah

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Looking to reserve rooms at one of 3 places … Strawberry Bay Marina or Duchesne along Hwy 40 or north near Talmage / Bonita off HWY 87. Anyone know those areas for riding? Strawberry Bay Marina says can ride from parking lot and cost $130 to 200 a room. Duchesne hotels are $90 a night and have to drive up Hwy 87 to Hwy 35? … Found a cabin around Talmage Utah and Duchesne for under a $100 a night (not sure of hidden fees). Riding area is the UNITA mountains. Any advice … good place to ride or move on?

Last edited:
J
Mar 8, 2019
It’s a great place to ride as long as they get some snow. Strawberry marina would be good also check Daniels summit I wouldn’t stay in duchesne heber would be a better option. If you want to ride from your room strawberry marina will get you the best access north and south of road.

J
Mar 8, 2019
I have a friend who owns a cabin on the East side of the lake and usually leave my sled there all winter. This year I haven’t taken it up yet there just isn’t enough snow to ride we are supposed to get some snow in the next 10 days hopefully it will be rideable after.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Is there trail access to the Unitas via HWY 35 Tabiona UT & HannaUT? Thats why I picked Duchesne & north as a possibility.

Strawberry BAY rooms are sold out and go for 120 to 200 a night. Ride from room
Daniels Summit start at $200 and go to $400 … .lots of rooms available. Ride from room
Duchesne hotels are $80 a night … Gotta trailer to trails?
Was looking at renting a cabin off HWY 87 north of Duchesne UT and Fruitvale UT BUT don't know how to access the Forest except trailer to Vernal or to Strawberry groomed trail systems. Im sure locals know how to ride closer than myself from HWY 87 which seems to be surrounded by the National forest That is what Im asking about !
I looked at Heber but figuire to be packed with other travelers sledding from west to East. I was figuiring to ride the same area and sled starting on the East side and ride west on HWY 35.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Just talked to a local around HWY 87 and said trailheads are just North of Vernal. Up Hwy 191 (regularly plowed) and unload at 8000 feetriding EAST. snowut.com says it is groomed there.

Couple people in Vernal says to go to Fairview UT ???? Because gonna trailer anyway and road open all the way across the mountain.

Last edited:
D
Mar 13, 2014
Just talked to a local around HWY 87 and said trailheads are just North of Vernal. Up Hwy 191 (regularly plowed) and unload at 8000 feetriding EAST. snowut.com says it is groomed there.

Couple people in Vernal says to go to Fairview UT ???? Because gonna trailer anyway and road open all the way across the mountain.

Daniel's Summit is a great place to ride but you get a lot of touristy rentals on the trail. A few miles up the road you have Co-Op Creek, this is one of my favorite areas but there just isn't enough snow up there right now.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
If you are looking at the Duchesne area, look at staying in the Hanna area. Trailer a few miles on Hwy 35 to where the gate is(I imagine Hwy 35 is closed?). There is a small parking area there, ride about 8 miles and you get to the top , Duchesne Ridge/Wolf Creek Pass/Soapstone areas. Lots of great riding . If the road is still open, trailer up to the top and there is a parking area there. One of our friends has this for rent https://www.vrbo.com/1527442. There are also a few small cabins right near the highway and I think there is a motel. Good luck

D
Mar 13, 2014
If you are looking at the Duchesne area, look at staying in the Hanna area. Trailer a few miles on Hwy 35 to where the gate is(I imagine Hwy 35 is closed?). There is a small parking area there, ride about 8 miles and you get to the top , Duchesne Ridge/Wolf Creek Pass/Soapstone areas. Lots of great riding . If the road is still open, trailer up to the top and there is a parking area there. One of our friends has this for rent https://www.vrbo.com/1527442. There are also a few small cabins right near the highway and I think there is a motel. Good luck

That is a nice place. Can you access Iron Mountain area from there?

Premium Features