• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding in McCall

Jan 29, 2019
Planning a short trip to McCall in March and want to do some riding while I'm there. I have zero knowledge of the area. Have all the trail maps, but that's about it so far. Any suggestions for which trails access decent back country? Without needing a ton of local knowledge?

T
Nov 21, 2017
Idaho
I'm not quite sure where to begin...
McCall has lots and lots of incredible backcountry riding. Being unfamiliar with the area can make it more challenging. Maybe try Cody at CM Backcountry. He does lots of training and guiding. I've never personally used him but hear lots of good things about him.

Keep in mind that we are having a record snowfall year and avalanche danger is really high. Some areas up high have recorded 10 feet of snow in a week! Be safe and have fun!

Jan 29, 2019
Thanks for the info. We will be set up with avy gear, trip has been pushed back to late March. Hope the snow is still good then.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Mccall and the surrounding backcountry are user friendly. It’s a great place and easy to find great terrain without local knowledge. Unload at either the Francis Wallace snow park at the end of Warren Wagon Road or the Titus snowpark up at the Brundage ski area. From either of these parking areas you will find what you are looking for with a little exploration and some reasonable mountain riding skills.
Have fun!!

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Info

A group of us are going to be in the McCall area the week of the 18th. Is there meals available in Warren.
Is Burgdorf serving meals.
Thanks for any information

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
A group of us are going to be in the McCall area the week of the 18th. Is there meals available in Warren.
Is Burgdorf serving meals.
Thanks for any information

Burgdorf has a very limited menu of burritos and pizza.
https://www.burgdorfhotsprings.com/eat-2/

Warren has a full restaurant, here is their menu.
http://www.baumsheltertoo.com/menu.html

You can also stop for a beer and a burger at the Seccesh Stage Stop, https://www.seceshstagestop.com/

All three places have decent food. If you want to stay up there, Both Burgdorf and Secesh offer primitive cabins. Baum Shelter is the only one that provides bedding and such.

Hope this helps!

TecCrash

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Burgdorf has some food but is limited to whatever they can microwave. They don’t have a kitchen.
Secesh Stagestop, about 4 miles down the road toward Warren, is good for a grilled hamburger and a cold drink.
Warren has a full menu and drinks.
Both Secesh and Warren serve beer but Secesh also has beer on tap from a local brewery.
Enjoy!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Burgdorf has some food but is limited to whatever they can microwave. They don’t have a kitchen.
Secesh Stagestop, about 4 miles down the road toward Warren, is good for a grilled hamburger and a cold drink.
Warren has a full menu and drinks.
Both Secesh and Warren serve beer but Secesh also has beer on tap from a local brewery.
Enjoy!

I honestly didn't see how they cooked our pizza at Bergdorf. It was like an 18". Do they have a microwave that big?

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Rode yesterday in the high country north of McCall and it was great!. Above 7,000 feet we rode in fresh snow and more is forecast with the next storm. Access will become an issue but the riding will be good for a few more weeks!

WFOWA

Lifetime Membership
Jun 10, 2008
SOCO
Looking for slightly technical tree riding but nothing too thick. Any recommendations on where I should be heading around mccall? Or is it safe to say that I'll find good terrain anywhere around mccall? Would prefer to avoid any burn areas also.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Valley County, on recommendation from Idaho Department of Lands, has closed all of the parking lots on Warren Wagon Road. This is Francis Wallace, Brush Creek, and Green Gate Lots.
But, the Governor of Idaho‘s task force has recently stated in it’s FAQ statement that folks can travel across the state or come from out of state to recreate.
I’m having a little trouble wondering what the “Stay-at-Home” order is for?!?!

Premium Features