• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding in Brainerd?

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
We are coming up on the 17th and staying on Gull. Any good bars for the night life. We have about 9 of us going. We don't do much ridding at night. We like to party:beer;:D. How are the conditions and are we going to get any more by then..GT

Scroll up this page a bit to see my comments of conditions as of today. Basically there's a base, some bare spots. We need snow badly.

Nite life in Gull area? Where to start? One thing there's plenty of is bars/ restaraunts in CW & Cass counties.
First choice on Gull would be Ernies, near the south end of the lake. Sled to w/in feet of the door.
Have not been to Quarter Deck in a long time, can't comment.
Bar Harbor on the north end of Gull. All new 2 yrs ago. Nice place, more upscale, but sleds do go there. Mainly an "older" clientele, and they would not put up with loud or rowdy individuals. EDIT About 1/4 mile east of Bar Harbor is Zorbaz. Kinda pizza/Mexican/beer hall kinda place.

Kelly's , not on the lake but on hwy77 on the west side of the lake. Have not been there in am long time.

Nisswa, there's the Pickle Factory, and the Amer. Legion.

On toward Pequot Lakes, Timber Jacks, proly missing some others.

East to Breezy point, Prime Time and the Commander. Both places have bands frequently.
If there's enuf snow, you can ride to most of these places, but be careful of "RWI". LOL.

There have been some very bad accidents at night on Gull. ABout 10-12 years ago a young fellow, after an argument with his GF put his sled thru the picture window of Ernies facing the lake. Slivers of glass by the millions all over the interior, guy's dead body ended up on the porch roof.
Nobody inside hurt, could have been ugly.

Last edited:

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
^^^^^^
That's the weather man's way of teasing us. What they don't tell us is that it's really the snowfall expressed as a fraction. So we'll get 2/4th's of an inch of snow in the Brainerd lakes area from this system.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Snow? in Brainerd area.

Only about a 1/2 inch of very light fluff so far. WX says possible snow showers into the evening, but the sun has been faintly visible thru the overcast all afternoon.
Not lookin' good. Barometer has bottomed out w/this front, and is up a "skosh." We'll see what tomorrow offers.:confused:

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I was right about the fraction thing again. Got about 1/2" in the area. Tell me again why I try to ride from home??? The Gov./MNUSA ride this wekend is going to be a great trip. I wonder if they have the snow making groomer figured out yet???

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
M S Blows,
Are you in the Brainerd area? Hard to tell from your posts.

No more snow. Part of my driveway is gravel, and i didn't even bother to shovel it, and not wasting gas in the blower or ATV/plow.
It has been so dry lately, the gravel isn't frozen on the top 2 inches , or so.

Don't know about sled rides form MNUSA. I was supposed to be involved on a ride, but I think more of my sled than grinding along in these conditions.

Now, back in the sheltered wooded areas, the trails are much better, but our trails can't avoid stretches that are in ditches, or in full sun areas that have bare spots.

We have plenty if ice depth for ice fishing tho. Lot of fish houses on all the area lakes. Cars, pickups driving on lakes, w/o problems.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Yep. East Gull Lake is home. I was talking to one of the event guys for this weekend and as of yesterday the ride with the Governor was still on. He said that a group of the local club guys ran the route about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty tough sledding then. Can't see where it's improved any.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Sad that most years, this is the way the weather is. A few years ago when it was at Breezy, there was absolutely no snow. Instead of a ride they had a groomer garage and snowmobile clubhouse tour. Now thats excitement!:face-icon-small-dis
I'm located on N.Long, Merrifield bay.
Rumor has it that the Gov won't be attending. He's proly gone campaigning for McCain.
I'll come over for fireworks for certain, Fri. nite.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
The last decent snow year I remember was in 01-02. It started late (late Jan.) but we rode into March. The last good year was 96-97. It snowed the night before I got married and kept up all winter long. Must have been the weather's gift to me for tying th knot. Maybe if I got married again it would snow? I'll mention that to the wife some night and see how it goes.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
At last, some fresh.

Brainerd area got 3 inches of new snow last night. Heard there was a bit more in the Outing,MN area, to the NE of me.
We got maybe 1-1/2 inch last weekend, but the strong winds made drifts in open areas.

This will help the trails, but more is still needed.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Not too much new. Had maybe 2" of fluff last week, then got windy as he!!. People still riding the Paul Bunyan. Was on it myself. No bare spots yet except at highway crossings.

Still some non-compacted snow around shore line of lakes. Sheltered parts of trails in woods have snow, some shaded ditches too.
Anything in full sun is poor to marginal.

Damn would be nice to get that baskeball tournament blizzard like old days. :rolleyes:

For more info go over on HCS,MN forum. Young guy "Walleye" lives near me and rides every minute he can find. He was finding some deep snow over the weekend.

Premium Features