• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Revy sent me home early with my tail between my legs! Pics and video

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Sort of speak.....

First off, went up for Yammi fest to climb some shoots, 1st day up was Friday, and all I can say is this...WHAT A DAY.

It absolutely could not have gotten any better of a day for climbing. It was AMAZING. Bird blue skies, temp was about 25-30*F, avy risk was low, and maybe 12-24" of fresh, at least in the big shoots.

Secondly, you boys up in Canada make me proud to be a Canadian. Hospitality was great as usual, and me and my buddy got help from BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan!!!

The trip started out with me and buddy going up for Yammi-fest. I have been wanting to pull a lot of shoots for several years, but in the past, just didn not have the machine to get it done, or have been cursed with break downs. Well, we had a great day of climbing, but at the end of the day, break downs sent me home early again.

We started out Friday AM with my buddy and 2 others from my hometown in Cut Bank, Montana. The adrenaline was already building when I stepped outside from my motel and the skies were blue, I knew it was just going to be a crazy day. I was riding a 08 MCX turbo at 18#, Vanamburg race tunnel, timber rear, skinz front end, little light on the track with just a CE 162x15x 2.25....but that wasn't going to stop me from trying what I wanted to try.

The plan was to hit the sugar bowl, then upper Bull Pen, swing over to the airport, then back over to the lower Bull pen, and time (and sleds still together), over to the monster.

Surgar Bowl was a good place to start, as there are some good runs there, and would allow some warm up, test the snow conditions, and see how the sled was running. Made a couple of pulls to the right of the main bowl, then up to the far right draw, up and back to the left over the trees and cliff......adrenaline was flowing!!! Had to after the first pull and tighten the track as I ratched 1st pull up. After that seemed to do well....until later.

Wide attack going up around sugar
159.jpg

162.jpg

164.jpg

Once done there, we scooted over to the Upper Bull Ben, only a few tracks, about 2' of fresh stuff, and still, the oh so blue skies!!! Bull Pen has always been one of my favorites, and would serve well as a warm up to the bigger stuff later in the day. Took a couple of pulls up the main lines, then side hilled over the cliffs from left to right. Everything was going well.

168.jpg

170.jpg

178.jpg

183.jpg

Second Pull, then to the left and over
187.jpg

188.jpg

189.jpg

195.jpg

And then up and over!
197.jpg

199.jpg

205.jpg

212.jpg

We were about to go over to the Airport, when we heard the roar of the 4 strokes in the Lower Bull Pen, and seen a sled attempt the 90!!! Well, change of plan, had to go down and check it out. I knew at that point that I would at least be attempting the 90 and Swenson street.....Not exactly at the point I had planned, but I fugured it had to be done. When we got down to the bottom, my heart was racing. There were probably 30 sleds or so at the bottom, and lots of the best were there to showcase there talent.

I had ridden with some of the BC boys about a month before, and saw a couple of them, but with gear on, didn't really recongnize them by name at first....I did recognize the only young woman that was trying the 90, Megan....she is pretty amazing, I think that she had already attempted the 90 twice before we even got down there. And she attempted it twice more...4 times for the day! I only attempted it once. lol OUTSTANDING. Jimmy Clipperton, who took me out the previous trip, was there, and the rest of his crew, Laird, Scooter, Mike Irmen to name a few. All just incredible riders, and I was inspired just to watch them climb.

Anyways, Megan had just made another attempt at the 90, I think her 3rd, maybe only her second, got around the 90, and lost it, While waiting I took a couple of practice runs up to Sweeny, and decided to try that one first.

I started out the bottom with a handful of throttle, and as I got into the bottom 3rd of the shoot, I hit a bump, the front end came up on me, and my wrist hit the kill switch!!! My sled immediately lost forwardt momentum, but I was able to pull up the kill switch and she fired right back up, just in time to dig it in as it was already starting to come backwards. Well, lets jsut say, once up there, it looks a WHOLE lot different. lol Quite intimidating to say the least.

Ended up kicking the sled down, it roller numerous times in the soft snow, but somehow managed to bend something in the front end, I think it the steering rod, as my right ski was toed out significantly. ( At the same time mine was rolling down the mountain, Megans was rolling out too) Got it somewhat realigned, and took another poke at it.

The first attemp at Swenson
218.jpg

219.jpg

237.jpg

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!, is all I could say. I picked my line, and literally flew up it and NAILED my line perfectly! I simply cannot describe the feeling, it was jsut completely exhilerating! I am usually a pretty calm guy, mellow, but when I got to the top I was jsut screaming with joy! lol I went around the top, and the BC group was at top of 90. I didn't mean to be rude, and probably should have stopped, but I was jsut flying high at that point. (should have looked at 90 from the top).

My successful run at Swenson
273.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

276.jpg

279.jpg

277.jpg

286.jpg

Got down to the bottom, a few more sleds tried, couple made the 90, a couple didnt. And then I tried. Unfortuneately, I didn't tell me camera guy and he missed most of the shot, but apparently I made the 90 with lots of heat, made a very nice turn, but then HOLY HELL, it gets steep!!!! lol... had lots of momentum, but 3/4 of the way up, I felt my track ratchet for a second, let out of the throttle real quick and lost my momentum I turned it around and tried to ride it out, Unfortuneatley, I got caught in the drift around a protruding rock ledge half way up, and the guys at the bottom thought I made it out, and the guys at top thought I rode it down.

Laird( I believe it was him) then pulled the 90*...fortuneately, I was safely out of mine and his way...he flew up the 90 and as my buddy put it "he made it look like a bunny hill"! lol He did make it look bery easy. Hell of a rider.

3 or 4 from the top came down to help me, one I now know was Mike Irman, got me situated, and then suggested I kick my sled down. I'd have none of it, I was going to ride it out!!! SO I THOUGHT!!! lol Again, I forgot to let me bud know so he missed the first (and best part) on film. I think I made it down from the rocks to the main line, but couldn't get on the other side of the sled where I needed to be and she started endoing! I lost my contour :face-icon-small-fro, and the the 90 spit me out of her like I was spoiled lunch! When I stopped cart wheeling, I was dizzy,literally.

This is as far as I made it before trying to turn out.
294.jpg

Look REAL CLOSE, you can see my silver helmet at the bottom 3rd of the big rock.
299.jpg

A few that tried and made it, and didn't...
I think this is Megan's last attempt of 4!!! WOW
262.jpg

263.jpg

266.jpg

Laird, I had a birds eye view on this one, still stuck up in the rocks.
309.jpg

311.jpg

312.jpg

At home to assess damages
334-1.jpg

The guys that helped me came right down to see if I was ok, and collected parts to me sled. Lost my boost guage, hood was in pieces, side panel had come off and sled was 3/4 to the bottom.

Regrouped , put every thing back together as well as I could, skis both toed out. Plugged my boost hose off with a panel screw, and she roared back to life!

I really wanted to try the 90 again, but it was so rough, and now hard. I didn't give my ratching issue a second thought. Forgot about it. Besides that, I had it adjusted all the way back, couldn't get it any tighter.

So we headed to the Airport...

Didn't last long, first pull up the 1st left shoot, and I spun the drivers(actually, it was the external teeth that totally got wore off. I just barely got it turned around, and came back down.

Then I couldn't make it out without the good driver spinnning on the shaft. To make a long story short, if it hadn't been for a 3 boys from SASK. that towed me back to the warming hut, it would have been a chopper ride out. Thanks guys!

Then, at the staging area, I met up with Jim Clipperton, and he did his best to get me fixed up, gave me Capt. Ron's number, who made calls to try tofind me some drivers, but we just couldn't pull it off.....so we stayed the night, and reluctantly headed back home!

BUT what an incredible day! Thanks so much to ALL the peeps that helped me out in one way or another, it was literally the best day of sledding I have had in years! Sorry, I don't have the names of everyone who helped, or of who was exactly climbing, but thank you. Please chime in. I hope to hook up with the BC boys again soon to hit the chutes, that is some awe inspiring stuff. What a bunch of incredible riders!

Missed Yammi fest again! lol

Last edited:

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Unklsno[CENTER said:
[/CENTER]mobile;3037197]Nice pics, and some nice pulls, but where do you get your avy info? Low avy risk? Really?

C
My bad, you are right, the actual t conditions were rated moderate to "considerable", but I am sorry, I did not see it as that. Didn't mean to miss represent. If any one were to ask me that day, I would have given the correct info as provided by avy.ca Again, sorry, let's please not turn this into an avy thread. ( not that you were.). I will clarify and include that it is only my opinion, based on passed experiences t, as I am no athority on avy conditions. So, to clarify, , in my opinion, the conditions of the day were more than acceptable to climb, and we climbed.....it was a hell of a lot of fun!

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Sooooooo, I dont mean to burst your bubble but Mike Irmen and Laird MacDougall werent there on Friday. Mike Irmen hasn't rode the past couple seasons. The big guy that you thought was Mike, his name is Lee. The guy that rides Lairds old sled is Kris Genovese. I was the guy with the blue and black Apex that hurt everyones ears. I was in the 90 and slid down when you got tossed in the corner. Lee and Kris were also in there. Glad you had a good time, good on ya for coming out to play !!

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Sooooooo, I dont mean to burst your bubble but Mike Irmen and Laird MacDougall werent there on Friday. Mike Irmen hasn't rode the past couple seasons. The big guy that you thought was Mike, his name is Lee. The guy that rides Lairds old sled is Kris Genovese. I was the guy with the blue and black Apex that hurt everyones ears. I was in the 90 and slid down when you got tossed in the corner. Lee and Kris were also in there. Glad you had a good time, good on ya for coming out to play !!

Didn't burst my bubble at all!!! I had a great time, I thought I had the names right, but I didnt' ask, and some others not in my group thought the same...Oooops, sorry for all the names I got messed up, next time we'll have to introduce.....sorry, I was just so caught up in the moment...LOL:rockon:

That Lee was a big dude! And Kris rode Laird's sled up like nothing!!!! (And made it look just as easy! What's your name?

Great climbs none the less and you are all great riders! Thanks for clarifying, hope there's no more major mess ups!

Anyways, thanks for the help, much appreciated?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
And one other thing, all pics were from a video, that my buddy, Mike Augare, filmed, (there is a good story behind that, too) but I'll share ya the details. lol

Turned out to be some GREAT footage, and here are a couple of pics of the 90 he tried, next time Mike!!! I think? He may have seen the last of the afternoon, but not sure.

321.jpg

322.jpg

323.jpg

324.jpg

325.jpg

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i have a vid of your climb of 90 i will post it when i get a chance,you had some impressive crashes:face-icon-small-win i give you a a for effort nice job in swenny

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
snowmanx,
i think i saw your sled at the boulder mtn parking lot or at the warming hut friday. me and 3 other guys from choteau were in town. we had 1 orange pro, 1 white dragon, black and a blue XP and were driving a white duramax and a white trailer. we stayed at the sandman. had we knows there was a fellow montucky man in town we woulda bought you a few beers! it was a freaking awesome trip, great weather! first time we have been up there. unfortunatly we missed all the action saturday because we went to frisby...i was pretty bummed out. NICE JOB IN THOSE CHUTES!!!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I have video of all the action from the bullpen....I got some excellent footage of you parking it in the garage!
Watch it in 1080p!

Last edited:
T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
The pics are great & it was nice to hear the story behind it all!!!
I hope to make it up there one day...hopefully next year???!!!!

T

~TriplePink~

Mar 24, 2009
Haha thanks Al! You had a wicked attempt for sure and had a prefect run in Swenny! Turns out I had a broken bellow and gasket so we will just blame technical difficulties as to why I didnt make it hehe :p she was def no gimmie and I tried my best, oh well hopefully by Easter Revy will get some fresh and I can try again, I refuse to climb on hard snow just in case i dont make it haha. Kris bought Lairds sled and it has Lairds name is still on it so I can see where you would be confused haha. Cheers to a good ride, you missed much more carnage on Sat!

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Thanks Megan, you'll get the 90, I wish I could have ridden Saturday, looked like it was a completely beautiful day. You guys got some crazy hills up there, that's for sure. Can't wait for my next trip!

Premium Features