• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reverse kills engine

W
Jan 20, 2022
Alpine Wyoming
So I broke my pull rope couple weekends ago, rode rest of day starting off of clutch, but noticed I lost reverse. When I push PERC button she sled just dies. Fixed pull rope still same issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
TPS is different on the 850: not an adjustable type, and should be a less likely culprit. Not sure you can eliminate that as a potential cause, but it's a different story than the older sleds.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
can't help with the reverse situation.
what cord did you replace with? Cobra?
If so, have you noticed the cobra cord makes the pull "notchy"?

I replaced mine, and the pull is very "notchy"
however, when the assembly is on the bench, the pull is very smooth ??‍♂️

I have checked it a few times, and everything looks and seems good, went back together fine. Been this way for 2 seasons now. not worried about it, just curious

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
Remnants of the old cord got into the stator and messed with clearance between the mag and the pickup sensors. you just need to pull the mag, remove all the fibers and reset the clearance for the sensors.
The cobra cord has no stretch and as a result will feel very jerky as each piston goes over top dead center. I have learned the hard way to replace the starter rope once it show signs of fraying.

Premium Features