• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reuse Ball Joint??

801_FuNk_801

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ogden, Ut
Buddy has a bent upper a arm on a 2021 with 40 miles. Is it easier to get a new ball joint or can he reuse the one out of the bent A Arm?

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Buddy has a bent upper a arm on a 2021 with 40 miles. Is it easier to get a new ball joint or can he reuse the one out of the bent A Arm?
Depends if you have access to a press or a ball joint press. I have both so I reuse the ball joints. If you don't have either I would just buy a new ball joint.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
They can be swapped without a press, i’ve helped some buddies do it. The upper is the easy one.

R
Nov 16, 2016
With only 40 miles on it, I would certainly re-use it!

A hydraulic press and the proper fixtures would be best.

In the past, I have used a small hand-held propane torch to mildly heat the A-arm ball-joint socket. (you'll be surprise at how little heat expansion is needed to help relieve the ball joint from the A-arm socket!)
You should then be able to drive the ball joint out using brass round-stock that is slightly smaller in diameter.

This would also be a great area for the Automotive Never-Seez or Anti-Seize product to help with future removal.

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We've done this on the hill and in the driveway. Propane torch is the answer. It damn near FELL out of one we did with some heat.

Premium Features