• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Research Survey for Engineering Development - Self-Siphoning Gas Tanks

I am conducting research on applying self-siphoning gas tanks to snowmobiles and snowbikes, it would be largely helpful if you could answer the following questions to help write the design process documents for the paper:
1. How many times, if at all, have you ran out of gas while riding in the backcountry?
2. Does refilling your tank with your secondary gas can pose a hassle or seem time consuming?

As many responses as possible would be very helpful in the presentation of the final product!
Thank you!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
We roll a rattle siphon inside our spare belt and siphon straight from donor sled. Keep nitrile gloves over ends to keep hose clean.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
1. I have never ran out. I watch my fuel level. I used to carry 2.5g extra fuel but havent for years.
2. No, not at all cause we stop countless times a day anyway.

I do carry a small dia hose which takes up very little space. Now that would be inconvenient if I ever need to use it, but it would work. It would be a slow process.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I used to run out of gas all the time before fuel injection. Now that I am on my 850 etec I only run out of gas when it's deep. I only carry gas when I know it's deep or if we have long run to the deep snow. Also its not a big deal dumping my Jerry can.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
My group of 8-10 snowbikes all run a self siphoning setup from our spare tanks on the back of our bikes. It works great, because you don't have to mess with taking gloves off and digging the jug out of the snow and spilling it and smelling like gas etc. I run a clear jug on the back and a clear tank on my bike so checking the fuel level is a none issue. The siphon pulls the gas out of the rear jug first and then you use the gas in your tank, it's a sweet setup.

Premium Features