• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Replating fasteners

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
Does anyone know of a shop to have fasteners re-plated? I'm interested in seeing what it would cost to have them re-plated with zinc, cadmium etc compared to replacing with stainless.

T
Nov 26, 2007
I'm in MN, and sandblasted then polished all of my engine hardware. I am going to split the $65 lot charge with a co-worker to get them nickel plated. I dunno, if your gonna go through the trouble, might as well go all out. I'd think the lot charge at a plating shop would be the same regardless.

T
Nov 26, 2007
I just googled "platers in Utah" and got 3 quick results in SLC. Not sure where in UT you are though. Blanchard, Quality and Crown platers.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Platers

We use Quality Plating to have parts plated for our manufacturing. Their main office is in Salt Lake and manufacturing in Bountiful. Blanchard and Crown are good as well. Not sure if Ogden Chrome and Bumper will do small lots. Nickel is pretty soft unless you go ahead and have something applied over it. Chrome plating is actually a nickel base with Chromium over the top to make it hard. Any of those guys can give you good suggestions. We usually go with clear zinc for simple rust and corrosion protection.

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
I'm north of Ogden. Finding a place that would do small jobs is one of my main concerns besides of course the cost compared to building up new sets of hardware from stainless. I've got a bunch of fasteners that I ran thru my media blasting cabinet that are cleaned up but have not protection anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions to check on. Looks like I'll make some calls next week.

Premium Features