• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Replacement Tunnel Sides

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Is there any interest in replacement tunel sides to repair damaged sleds? I have the ability to have these made at a resonable cost by a customer that builds Aluminum boats.

Sides would most likely be .080" 5052 series Alum and set up for the burandt boards.

Cost is not calculated at this time, but it will be MUCH cheaper solution than a replacement tunnel/bulkhead from Polaris or a full custom tunnel. These will be designed to utilize the stock mounting bracket and will be available in 155/163". Powdercoating in various colors will also be available.

So with that laid out, is there any interest in this product for those that have damaged a tunnel? I would start with 155" and then do the 163".

Feedback is appreciated.

Gideup

Premium Member
Dec 6, 2011
Mnt Rainier, WA
I have a 163 bent tunnel. I have already swapped to new tunnel and back on the hill. I would love to repair this and hold for my next tree encounter, or sell to another unfortunate rider for far less than what they want for new. $2500.00 plus plus Picts and cost I'm in.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Would you also make the fwd "overlay" pieces as well?

Sounds like a top notch idea... More heavy-duty from the stock .063" to yours at .080" thick.

Yes, I was planning on making that piece as well seeing hows its not available from Polaris. The addition of these products will give us a fully servicable chassis, at a resonable cost.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Undeniable interest for sure... Please also note that the there are not a lot of readers on here this time of year... compared to the mid season.

Another area would be the tunnel doublers where the rear drop bracket is... make that from thicker material with a larger coverage area... would help.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
If you replaced with a 163 sides on a 155 than you would only need a top piece correct . It sounds like a great idea .

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Ultra... I believe he is referring to complete replacment of the tunnel sides with thicker material... AKsnowriders are an awesome product... but diff product.

True mh. I was referring to the guy from Ak that had only bent a tunnel. Straighten it out and add aksnowriders new side plates. They completely cover the old sides. You won't see any of the old damage and will be much stronger than new. Many have done this.

And since he is in Ak no shipping costs or down time waiting on parts. Kinda hard to beat that.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Easy win, water jet or laser cut, hard hydrophobic anodized in choice of colors.

Virtually anybody can go to a sheet metal place and say make me these and get it done. The easy win would be in the quantity game, to keep the price point low. There is definitely a demand for this sort of repair / upgrade.

I'm currently making some new tunnel sides for my IQR hybrids to utilize the IQ or PRO coolers in my mountain conversions. I'm also stretching the tunnel height so I can run a decent sized driver (9T) with a full 3" paddle and still have clearance for Ice screws and snow evacuation. (This trend to go to a ridiculously small driver is extremely counter productive and just robs efficiency and horsepower, not to mention degrades the track two-three times faster than the nine tooth driver.) The aluminum sides I am currently doing is to finalize the design for Carbon Fiber replacement panels for my builds. I have no production plans so don't ask.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
LH...

Some sincere questions...you seem to have a handle on this so I want to learn here.

True hard ano in colors???

The IQ RMK coolers have probably double the cooling capacity of the PRO.

How would you raise the tank on a PRO when it is wedged into the pyramid?...

I did have a long talk with the Camoplast engineers... a 7 tooth driver in a single ply track... which is about 6.7" is not too much of bend for efficient transfer... on a 6 yr old 2 ply track... yes... They made a point of saying that the new drum-molded tracks roll more easily that a platten-molded track and are also much more stout and less prone to delam than previous tracks.

IMO...

I do agree though... that to a point... a larger driver better because you have more teeth in mesh with the track at any given time and can run proper (not loose) tension.
==========

Angermanagement

Laser/Water cut... then flange bent with proper radius for the running boards flange?

Make them all, IMO... to rivet directly to the new running boards??

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
LH...

Some sincere questions...you seem to have a handle on this so I want to learn here.

True hard ano in colors???
MH I seem to recall an internet search where a place (in Spokane possibly) had figured out how to colorize the hard anodizing (I saved it but can't find it at the moment, I will update when I stumble onto it again) I sent two different places an e-mail today regarding color hard anodizing (specifically Teflon impregnated hard anodizing) and both said it is a fairly standard process these days. Colors are deeper, darker, and more vibrant due to the thicker coating.

The IQ RMK coolers have probably double the cooling capacity of the PRO. I understand that, for my current builds I wasn't too picky, I just got the coolers from slightly bent tunnels (insurance replacements or part outs) to complete my builds. The IQR hybrids will be sold to local teenagers and those will get the IQ and standard Pro coolers. As they likely will not be as focused on proper temp and longevity, just want a bullet proof sled for thrashing.

How would you raise the tank on a PRO when it is wedged into the pyramid?…

I just got my first two full PRO chassis this week to start my R&D on. As I have stated in other posts, I may well have to either mold a new CF tank to fit the taller tunnel or redo the over structure and I am willing to do whatever is best to have an efficient roller.
I did have a long talk with the Camoplast engineers... a 7 tooth driver in a single ply track... which is about 6.7" is not too much of bend for efficient transfer... on a 6 yr old 2 ply track... yes... They made a point of saying that the new drum-molded tracks roll more easily that a platten-molded track and are also much more stout and less prone to delam than previous tracks.

IMO...

I do agree though... that to a point... a larger driver better because you have more teeth in mesh with the track at any given time and can run proper (not loose) tension.

I have read all the theory and their chosen point of views and am still inclined to disagree with them on the physics alone. Just like I won't run less than a 20 tooth top gear in the chain case, any smaller and it will fragment on you. To each their own, this is the path I have chosen for my own reasons, agree or not I really don't care. I want my hard earned Horsepower at the track not lost in the process of getting it there. Additionally I have a drive design that fits in the space of the drivers that eliminates all the external mass (read, CVT clutches and belt) and need the larger diameter to fit it. So there are additional selfish factors to my design decisions.
==========

Angermanagement

Laser/Water cut... then flange bent with proper radius for the running boards flange?

Make them all, IMO... to rivet directly to the new running boards??

I appologize for the derail, back to topic

Last edited:

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Is there any interest in replacement tunel sides to repair damaged sleds? I have the ability to have these made at a resonable cost by a customer that builds Aluminum boats.

Sides would most likely be .080" 5052 series Alum and set up for the burandt boards.

Cost is not calculated at this time, but it will be MUCH cheaper solution than a replacement tunnel/bulkhead from Polaris or a full custom tunnel. These will be designed to utilize the stock mounting bracket and will be available in 155/163". Powdercoating in various colors will also be available.

So with that laid out, is there any interest in this product for those that have damaged a tunnel? I would start with 155" and then do the 163".

Feedback is appreciated.

I'm bumping this to the top... How much will the cost be?? I'm probably going to want a set for next summer... Just PM me if you like....

Premium Features