• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Repairing holes in Riding Pants

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
Anyone have any good tricks to repair holes in riding gear? My Klim freeride pants have a couple small holes in the outer material on the right hip. I think the Gor-tex layer is intact under the outer material but I hate to leave holes to let water get in between the layers. Anything work well to fix and keep things water proof?

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
They make an iron on patch that works pretty good. I had a couple tears in my pants and I sewed them up to keep from tearing more and then ironed those patches on. I believe my wife bought them at walmart not sure exactly though, the patches were about 4" by 6" but you could cut them down if needed.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
This might be too Hill-Billy for you, but I use Elmer's Stix-all glue for small repairs. It is a pliable when cured rubber cement type glue similar to a shoe goo. It comes in a small tube so it is easy to carry. I have used it for years to patch small tears in rain gear, gators, snow pants, jackets, boots, saw chaps, gloves, seat covers, cruiser vest, you name it.

If the hole is small, I try to hold the "wound" open and work a little bit of the glue into the hole, then use a small nail or awl to work the material back down into the correct orientation, then put a little more glue over the top. On larger wounds, I will add a piece of material in the backside of the wound then do the glue trick again. This backing material helps reinforce the area if there is tension on the joint when cured. It dries to a somewhat opaque finish and lasts for quite a while.

I can also sew them up but sometimes I am away from home, or the part is not easily accessible.

L
May 15, 2009
Talked with Klim about fixing a small tear in my pants and they told me it would be a minimum charge of $50 and up plus shipping both ways.
They also told me if I fixed them myself that the warranty would no longer be valid. I'm not going to knock Klim, but it seemed to me like $50 was alot to fix a small tear no longer then 3/4", tear is still there.

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
is the $50 klim deal good no matter the cause? They would have to replace a whole panel on mine. Either way if you have some contact info that would be great, i'd like to call them.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Yeah those Goretex patches are great for Klim gloves! My gloves are mostly patches now!

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
I bit the bullet and sent the pants into klim. Great people to work with. They repaired it with a Gortex certified seamstress which makes it still under warranty for the life of the pants. They also test them to make sure they are water tight. Worth the $50. I'll keep buying their stuff.

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
As a follow up, I got my freeride pants back from klim. The repair looks great. They used gortex certified folks to fix them which guarantees they are water proof and they will include the patch under warranty with the pants for life. Pretty legit company if you ask me.

Premium Features