• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing carbide from wear bars

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Has anyone tried to remove the carbide inserts from the factory wear bars?
I always run just hardened wear bars to avoid damage from hitting rocks, and to reduce trailer floor damage and shop floor damage. Wondering if it’s possible to get rid of the carbide section?

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I have just used an angle grinder to knock off the sharp part. Say about 1/2 of the carbide. That way you still have the carbide to help with wear but it doesn’t hang up on anything.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I have just used an angle grinder to knock off the sharp part. Say about 1/2 of the carbide. That way you still have the carbide to help with wear but it doesn’t hang up on anything.
What kind of disc did you use? Seems like it would be very hard to grind?

wally1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
Woody's makes a hardweld wearbar that works well, I think they call it their top stock bar. About $35 a pair .

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I wrecked with a carbide stuck on a rock. Not fun!

it stopped the sked like I hit something, threw me over handlebars bent and cracked the carbide lol. suspension damage was already started from a previous hit. one of these days.

but how's the steering on asphalt per example without a carbide? does the wear bar still bite?

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I wrecked with a carbide stuck on a rock. Not fun!

it stopped the sked like I hit something, threw me over handlebars bent and cracked the carbide lol. suspension damage was already started from a previous hit. one of these days.

but how's the steering on asphalt per example without a carbide? does the wear bar still bite?
You basically lose your steering on asphalt.

Small price but so worth it to not wreck your trailer, truck bed, shop, and driveway.... and like you mentioned catching a rock or log with a carbide can make for a bad day.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I went back to carbides when I came up with my wheel kit. I even ride up the truck deck ramp with them. Gravel is no problem either. Simply lift the ski tip and slide in the axel. The aluminum ski braces also stop the ski bushing from wearing the ski bolt hole oval. This design is an offshoot from our Gripper Ripper Braces. http://www.sourceinnovations.ca/product/gripper-ripper-ski-brace-kit/

Gripper Wheel Kit 2.JPG Gripper Wheel Kit.JPG

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I have been running carbide free runners for years. There is NO difference off trail. The trails needs to be quite icy before I start noticing. On plowed road surface/drive way the difference is obvious, doing a tight turn around requires some snappy throttle and braking work.

All and all I think I have saved a fortune on suspension parts using my runners, adding the benefit of not ruining the shop floor and trailer just makes it an even easier choice.

T

Trailsweeper

Jan 16, 2013
For Polaris Gripper skis.
ec3b81d2298a53c87646dca8d133e4d6.jpg
f048db5e2231d54f3145acb5134c5364.jpg

Last edited:
I
Dec 21, 2016
Why not buy hard weld rods? Thats the right answer. If you melt out the old carbide on a carbide west bar, you don’t have any wear surface left.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Why not buy hard weld rods? Thats the right answer. If you melt out the old carbide on a carbide west bar, you don’t have any wear surface left.

Free99?
Seems reasonable.

I just run carbides.

Only damage to my sled has been from actual ski hits.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
How do I order these (I want the wheel kit with it)

I just got my second set of CNC prototypes done this week and everything looks great for the braces. I ran hand cut proto-types last season. I am looking at having them powder coated black. Are you interested in that? As for the wheels and axles I have not sourced all the parts yet but they are a 10" wheel with a 5/8' shaft. Are you in a position to put your own wheel and axles together? Shipping on the brackets is cheap but the wheels are heavy so shipping will hurt.

Please PM me or send me an email so we can figure out the details. chris@specified.ca

Thanks

Chris

Premium Features