• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Relatively easy/cheap way to lose 4 lbs

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Removed the clam shell and had the exhaust ceramic coated, pipe with shell was 13.8, ceramic coated is 9.8. 4 lbs for $100. I may wrap it a little where the pipe rests on the belt guard, i dont know how well that rubber piece will hold up to heat
c727afab05223557a86091f42834fb28.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Looks good!

I have one concern that always comes to mind with a mod like that; we all understand how important heat is to the operation of a pipe and I often wonder how effective the ceramic coating is when compared to the insulation and shielding that the factory provides.
I would love to hear some thoughts on this..... :)

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Looks good!

I have one concern that always comes to mind with a mod like that; we all understand how important heat is to the operation of a pipe and I often wonder how effective the ceramic coating is when compared to the insulation and shielding that the factory provides.
I would love to hear some thoughts on this..... :)
Imagine it probably isnt quite as good, however you dont see any of the aftermarket pipes with shields. So how much it makes a difference? I dont know

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
The heat shields would be expensive to manufacture and drive the cost up, probably enough that no one would buy the parts. For aftermarket the ceramic coat totally makes sense as the most cost effective option.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I talked to a guy that had a custom set of twin pipes built for a 800 Polaris Pro mod. The pipe manufacturer indicated that he made the pipe shape slightly different for how the pipes were to be finished. For instance if they were going to be painted black vs. nickel plating. Maybe the pipe manufacturers take this into account. I don't know if it's a minor difference, say 1hp at a certain temp, or if it is actually noticeable to the average rider.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
The ceramic retains heat inside the pipe that stops the tune change from cold wind and snow hitting the pipe .

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Id be suprised if the stock pipe is very "tuned" when you can gain 10hp on a pipe with the stock fuel calibration.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I bought a used bikeman pipe for 19 alpha and it rests on the rubber mount on the clutch guard hasn’t melted it down yet

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I bought a used bikeman pipe for 19 alpha and it rests on the rubber mount on the clutch guard hasn’t melted it down yet

The bmp pipe comes with a heat shield that goes between the pipe and rubber mount.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I be heard t
The bmp pipe comes with a heat shield that goes between the pipe and rubber mount.
i bought it used seller must of forgot to send it but so far it’s working good

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I tried this on my '17. after super deep day lots of WOT, I found I should have covered the intake underside with heat tape where it is close to the pipe. the stock heat tape up there wasn't near enough. I put my shell back on without the insulation, the insulation makes it messy under the hood. and that insulation is heavy when wet.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I tried this on my '17. after super deep day lots of WOT, I found I should have covered the intake underside with heat tape where it is close to the pipe. the stock heat tape up there wasn't near enough. I put my shell back on without the insulation, the insulation makes it messy under the hood. and that insulation is heavy when wet.
Ill have to look, but i put a bdx hood on mine and i dont think it goes that high up

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
It would be interesting if someone would use an infrared temp gun and see what the temps are on a stock pipe vs a ceramic coated stock pipe.

Premium Features