• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reinforcing steering post

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
i took a piece of l shaped angle iron and bolted it to the steering hoop about 6-8 inches up the steering post and then bought another set of bushings/holder and bolted that on the top of the extension. the gen II is weak to begin with! i know if you do enough searches you will find some picks as many guys have done similar.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
We just got a piece of solid rod that is the same outside diameter as the inside of the steering column. Take the bars off, you may have to use a dremel to clean up a little of the weld so that the rod will slide down inside the column... get a piece long enough to go clear down to the bend behind the air box.

Drive the rod in(you can find one that is a nice tight fit), tack weld it around the top, and put your bars back on. I even think my brother found that a 3/8" drive Craftsman extension was the exact right fit. :)

sled_guy

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Does anyone know if they put a different one in the 2001 rmk. From what I've been reading in these forums and other places people have been putting 5/8 rod down the steering post to fix the weak stock post. When I went to do this to mine the hole in the top was maybe a quarter of an inch and there was no way this was possible. And that was the thickness of the tube itself and not just the plate at the top. It has a little flex but not a lot. Just concerned with bending it.

Premium Features