• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reeds getting hit

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
So this is the second set of reeds this yr, both times pto side, both times same damage. There has been contact with something to the cage. this is the bottom side of the cage, these are the 52s last ones were 50s, Boyesen reeds. Have asked about everyone I know, no one has ever seen this. You can see on the right side where the aluminum has been smashed down a bit. 900 miles on this set...

20170307_171848.jpg

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
After closer inspection the reeds started to delaminate, small pieces broke of and got caught between the cage and reed itself causing the indentations. This is the second set in 1,700 miles. Other cage was about half as bad as this one. I know of two others with this happening as well. Just something to look at guys. Will not run Boyesen ever again..

Last edited:

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
On my Cats I have never ever had any luck with aftermarket reeds.
Did I mention EVER!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
On my Cats I have never ever had any luck with aftermarket reeds.
Did I mention EVER!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live and learn, somewhat new to cat. 800 cat big bore, installing stock 1000 reeds. Ran Vforce on my doo's forever with no problems. Seems there is a lot more pressure and turbulence in the cat case. Tears em' up.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Well I have found the stock reeds in the HO 8 to chip up very quickly. If you had 07-09 reeds in one hand and HO reeds in the other you might think reeds must make a difference because they are far from the same. 07-09 would be WAY more durable. Also in the HO it seems the bottom outside reeds get the chipping most. Not sure if they hit the case or if this is just the nature of the beast. I have had good luck with my aftermarket reeds.
I have read some guys like the 1000 Vforce in the BB w 50TB's

I
Sep 23, 2016
I got almost 1500 miles on vforce reeds in a 15 m8. Put them in when the sled was new, I haven't checked em yet...im going to this upcoming fall but the sled has never had a hiccup yet or anything that would lead me to believe I got reed failure happening

Premium Features