• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil rope major wear??

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Anybody else notice the way it's ran really wears it out?? Never even got through whole season an mine snapped an new ones wore from a month of riding. The angle where it comes out of the recoil an through the lil blacke grommet guide (3" from recoil) is stupid!!! My grommet has a major grove in it cause the edges to dig in. Anyone mess with this an figure out a better trick for this operation??

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Here's my 2012 - Is it good or bad? Now would be a good time to do some preventative maintenance.

2012-10-25_22-19-03_554.jpg

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Pull er out a bit an check the part that runs in that black grommet. Mines wearing right through when u look from the muffler side at the bottom of the black ring.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
Anybody else notice the way it's ran really wears it out?? Never even got through whole season an mine snapped an new ones wore from a month of riding. The angle where it comes out of the recoil an through the lil blacke grommet guide (3" from recoil) is stupid!!! My grommet has a major grove in it cause the edges to dig in. Anyone mess with this an figure out a better trick for this operation??

Are the pull cords covered under warranty?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Are the pull cords covered under warranty?

I would be very very suprized ... just like a warranty on spark plugs and brake pads.

You can buy more rope from mfg

or buy some from people on here

or buy some 12 strand DYNEEMA rope for less than $1 a foot and will last a long long time.

Think you need 4mm to maybe 6mm.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
I would be very very suprized ... just like a warranty on spark plugs and brake pads.

You can buy more rope from mfg

or buy some from people on here

or buy some 12 strand DYNEEMA rope for less than $1 a foot and will last a long long time.

Think you need 4mm to maybe 6mm.

How much do I need? My sled has .5 miles but I do not want to be on a ride and have it snap. I'll have the dealer put on the rope I provide

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
Stop yourself now and just buy some Phantom rope from 4Z!!! This stuff is crazy strong and not expensive. I literally bought 10 ropes and put them on my entire fleet, even the fan 550's. Breaking a rope is annoying as hell. Unless your sled is on warranty, you're crazy to have your dealer install. It's super easy, one beer job for sure!

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Ya first I've heard of this fantom rope. Gunna order some tonight!! Also not quite so simple a job to do either with the spinning thing in place of the muffler ya gotta take out.

Also anyone know where a guy can get ahold of some??

Last edited:

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Pull er out a bit an check the part that runs in that black grommet. Mines wearing right through when u look from the muffler side at the bottom of the black ring.

Tried to get a picture tonight but the phone, flash and lighting weren't cooperating. The black bushing on my ProClimb has some very minor rub marks and certainly isn't wore down with a notch. Related note, the sled has 1900 miles on it.

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
Several people have PM'ed me for specific directions to changing their pull rope. It's SUPER easy. I just responded with this:

Pull the rope all the way out and wrap all the excess around your grip. Cut the rope right below the handle. Whatever you do, do not let the rope get sucked all the way into the recoil. Unwrap the rope from your grip and guide it through the body cowling. After you get the rope through the cowling, tie a loose knot in the rope to prevent it from getting sucked into the recoil.

I've never changed one on a PC. On an M, you take off the silencer to get access to the recoil. You probably have to do the same on a PC. Just gain access to the entire recoil unit (mounted to case).

Pull the recoil off and take it to your bench. It should be held on by about 6, 10mm bolts.

Take the new rope and single knot one side leaving a 3/4" tail. On the other side, wrap it tight with electrical tape. Only wrap twice around to keep the diameter of the wrapped rope small.

I find the actual rope swap to be easiest with two people. The other person does not have to be strong. I've used my mom, girlfriend and even my grandma. You can also use a pair of wide mouth vise grips if you dont have a second person.

Your helper holds the recoil on your bench with the outside of it against the bench top. You pull the rope out until it stops. Your helper puts their finger on the rope wheel (against the recoil spring's resistence) to prevent it from sucking the rope back into the recoil.

You remove the old rope by simply untying the loose knot you created minutes earlier and pulling the rope through the recoil housing and rope wheel.

Insert the eletrical tape side of the new rope through the rope wheel and then through the recoil housing, same way it just came out. There's a tight spot, but not bad. A small flathead screwdriver, standard nose needle-nose piliers or slant nose needle-nose piliers will help you in this process.

Pull the rope though the unit (your helper is still holding the rope wheel). Before you pull tight, insert the end of the 3/4" tail you created in the new rope into the knot housing unit on the recoil rope wheel. Pull the rope tight and make sure the entire rope end is well contained in the knot housing.

Install the recoil back on the motor, fish the rope back though cowling, tie handle. Pull pull pull. Pull forever if you bought phantom rope from 4Z :)

Brett

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Right Brett.... Good write up!!

Here are the details on the rope:

Fantom Recoil Rope is by far the best thing for recoils on any sled (cept for you push button guys!). The Fantom Rope has been installed on the biggest triples and twins around and never failed (if installed correctly). It has a burst strength of 5500 lbs where stock is 1200 lbs, winch rope is 2600 lbs. It will out-live your motor!! 100% replacement guarantee for the life of the sled! Cheap insurance when replacing that oil soaked, frayed, torn and twisted stock rope.

Prices:

One 7 foot Fantom Rope, shipped to your door is $25.00 USD
$20.00 for each additional on same order, so get a group buy going!

Buy 10 or more and they are $15.00 each and $10.00 shipping

For the past 8 years this rope has been gracing forum member's sleds around the country. Sold thousands of feet and never a warranty claim!!

CANADIANS!! CAN SHIP TO YOU TO. Just add $5 to the first rope.

PayPal: 4Zwalters@gmail.com

2494838890051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features