• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

recoil noise after rope replacement

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
i just got done installing a Cobra Cord pull rope as a preventative measure. I followed the instructions posted by Prayn4snow found here to a T: https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/kreating-khaos-162-extreme-and-other-easy-mods.451157/page-7

everything went very smoothly. the only thing i noticed was when tightening the 13mm bolt on the recoil, it was very tight at the 1 full turn back to tight. I didn't remember it being that tight.

i fired up the sled and it seemed as if pulling the rope was more "notchy," but that could be my imagination.
I also noticed an occasional high pitched noise, almost like a bad bearing, coming from the recoil. it was occasional and not constant.

I pulled the recoil and checked everything. everything looked good and it operated smooth when pulling the rope.

I backed the 13mm bolt off just slightly.
It is all back together, but I have not tested it.

Any ideas, thoughts??

thanks

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Hey Kylant,
Sorry to hear you were having some issues. A couple questions for you. Are you using the standard Cobra cord or the High temp Turbo cord? They are a little thicker especially the Turbo cord. With this in mind the reel won't hold as much (length) as the stock cord. On my sled using the Turbo cord, the length is cut shorter than stock for this reason. Im wondering if you have to much cord on the reel and it's hitting? If you look at the pics on my build you will see I'm pointing at a notch on the reel that shows when its full. I hope this helps :)
You could also call Cobra cord if you have more questions. Here is a link to their web site: https://www.cobrapullcords.com

Last edited:

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I am using the standard pull cord. It is slightly longer than the factory rope, but only about 1 inch. I really could not see the rope in the notch like you pointed out. So I don’t think it is overfilled. I took it all apart to check everything, and everything looked fine. When I pull the rope with the recoil off the sled it is nice and smooth. Back on the sled it definitely feels more notchy. I did back the 13mm bolt off just slightly. I did not notice any of the bearing type noise today. I rode all day today and everything seemed fine, but it is still notchy when I pull it. Even my buddy noticed it. My other buddies khaos is smoother. ??‍♂️

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
talked to Corba. he has not heard of anything like that before. he suggested i may be feeling motor compression more now that a stiffer cord is pulling it over.
the more i think about it, i think that may be what i am feeling. it makes sense ??‍♂️

Premium Features