• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear torsion springs

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
All - I am picking up a 22 expert turbo - I probably weigh around 265 with gear plus tunnel bag. Is there a benefit to installing stiffer springs versus having the existing springs cranked on 5? If all I change is the rear springs - does it mess with the geometry of the sled?

D
Mar 13, 2014
I weigh about the same and ended up doing the stiffer titanium springs on my previous sled. I did help but I never thought it all worked very well at all together. I personally would go air and delete the torsion springs.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I'm similar weight as you and I've tried a couple different combinations on the rears.
Stock springs all the way to 5 was too soft.
Stock springs with hygear torsion spacers, better but still bottomed out more than I'd like.
HD 270/271 doo springs with torsion spacers, WAY too stiff, no ski lift, harsh ride.
HD springs without spacers, slightly less stiff, but still not enough ski lift and hard ride.

I would go back to the stock springs and torsion spacers if I did it over again. The HD springs from doo are too stiff. This was on a 154, a 165 may not be as stiff or harsh since there's more leverage with the longer rails.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
All - I am picking up a 22 expert turbo - I probably weigh around 265 with gear plus tunnel bag. Is there a benefit to installing stiffer springs versus having the existing springs cranked on 5? If all I change is the rear springs - does it mess with the geometry of the sled?
Enzo suspension. The ride is phenomenal

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I prefer no torsion springs on mine but spendy and definitely worth it especially if you find yourself on one ski going through the trees more times than not

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Farmboy is pretty accurate. My findings on 165
Presently running the heavy duty springs and spacers on #3. It’s ok, for me I would like to go stiffer, however my Fox QS3 shock needs more valving to keep up with the spring tension.
Still has good ski lift, same handling etc.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Farmboy is pretty accurate. My findings on 165
Presently running the heavy duty springs and spacers on #3. It’s ok, for me I would like to go stiffer, however my Fox QS3 shock needs more valving to keep up with the spring tension.
Still has good ski lift, same handling etc.

Thats the mistake I made on my previous sled. I had stock valving and like the skid very stiff. Ultimately that's why I went air. I can keep making small adjustments. I did the elevate ice age spindles recently. I doubt I would have kept running them without being able to tweak my rear shocks.

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
I am 230 lb without gear and have the stock springs with spacers on 2. I only bottom out softly on the big stuff because I have aftermarket shocks and control the bottom out with the compression adjust

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Thanks all - Sounds like I will have a 1.0 version and then progress.

I'll add all the ZRP stuff (Spindles, Z motion etc...) and dura pro's plus grippers...... along with hygear torsion spaces.

Then maybe over the summer or early next year upgrade the suspension. Leaning towards Enzo.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
I prefer no torsion springs on mine but spendy and definitely worth it especially if you find yourself on one ski going through the trees more times than not
I agree I prefer the Raptor Ace over torsion springs much better than X or SP stock shocks., its great to be able to swap back and forth between lockout T-Motion or use T-Motion quickly and easily while out riding.

Last edited:

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I hope the gen 5 is as good. I'll probably take the torsion springs off as soon as there's a kit ready anyway lol. Until then I'll ride my 22

H
Dec 15, 2014
I'm 300 dry. I went hd torsion springs and spacers set on 2. I upgraded to Fox QS3R's and purchased hd springs for them. Good setup for me. One recommendation i would make is that T motion does not work for us heavier viking style guys. Lock it out.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
Torsion spring spacer are a bad idea and waste of money, all they do is make you loose precious suspension travel. Look how the bump stops are right under the torsion springs.

They is a big bunch of different torsion springs available from Ski-Doo. Ask your dealer and he can retrieve the chart in his system. If he says he cannot, make him try harder. You do not need to follow the recommandation, the springs for SC-5M, cMotion, tMotion and rMotion all fit and you can figure out which one you want based on it's specs.

Personally I run the 503192104 / 503192105 which are 18% stiffer than stock but with 10 degrees less preload.

The 503192270 / 503192271 are 31% stiffer than stock and IMO, that's too much.

T
Oct 10, 2001
Spokane WA
Do you have the spring chart?
Torsion spring spacer are a bad idea and waste of money, all they do is make you loose precious suspension travel. Look how the bump stops are right under the torsion springs.

They is a big bunch of different torsion springs available from Ski-Doo. Ask your dealer and he can retrieve the chart in his system. If he says he cannot, make him try harder. You do not need to follow the recommandation, the springs for SC-5M, cMotion, tMotion and rMotion all fit and you can figure out which one you want based on it's specs.

Personally I run the 503192104 / 503192105 which are 18% stiffer than stock but with 10 degrees less preload.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA

Thank you. If I run the stock ski shock springs, stock center shock spring - will it handle weird by just replacing the rear torsion springs?

Premium Features