• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear drop bracket

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Anyone know who makes a rear suspension drop bracket for a 01 rmk? Interested in looking at one maybe possibly just making one. Maybe someone has one on their sled and can send me pictures for reference? :)

R

Rattlin_Ram

Dec 1, 2007
Flatlands
If I remember right (it was like 8 years ago...) I dropped mine down and back like 1.5" and put a longer track on it. On the front I used a rivet hole on the existing bracket, just drilled it out for the bolts. On the rear I had to use new brackets and just made sure it was the same down n back measurement that the front hole was....

I LOVED the change. The sled popped up on the snow better, assuming because of the lower angle of attack. It rode smoother on the trails. And handled better off trail.

I only went from a 136x2" to a 141x2" so I don't think the handling changed any with the track change. It was all in the skid change.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Well I put a 159 on my sled and I'm having issues when the back of track comes all the way up like when loading on the trailer my track hits somewhere and I smoke belts and I was running a 2 inch track before and never had this problem now it's a longer track and I do

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
What about the rear sag. Seems to squat a lot when I get on the sled which maybe part of the problem. How do I stiffen it up?

A
Oct 20, 2014
Rear sag is normally caused by worn torsion springs. I just replaced mine from my dealer for $120 for the .405/77 degree springs. Stiffest springs you can buy for this sled. I was going to go with the .385 springs but they were $180 for the set!

If you need the part number let me know and I can grab it for you.

As far as the belts smoking... Check your belt deflection on your clutches. You may possibly need shims on your secondary to align the primary and secondary correctly... Any straight edge should help you determine deflection. In your service manual it shows you how to do it properly.

Last edited:

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Let me get that part number. As far as my clutching goes I just serviced them both and aligned them before I rode this last time. My track bound up somewhere and it got stuck. It is also set pretty lose which may have something to do with it. When it's on level ground all is fine.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Sweet thank you. One more question. When you used the drop brackets did you do the front of the track as well? A lot of what I've read online says if you don't that your sled will be uncontrollable. To me this seems strange that it would cause that much of an issue and I generally stay off the trail and in deep snow (that's why it has a159 on it now). I can't imagine the ski pressure being completely intolerable for the amount of time I'm on an actual trail.

A
Oct 20, 2014
The main reason people tend to drop down and go back is because they usually need the clearance for the tunnel so the track doesn't hit it, especially over bumps and things of the like and it helps the approach angle so it's not so harsh. The bigger the angle of approach the more you will tend to trench the machine. The local guys here who do skid swaps regularly say they always move the track down and back equally on the front and rear..

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Okay i see. I think before I do anything to crazy with new brackets and such I'll move down one hole in the rear stock bracket and ride this weekend and see how it goes. If I don't like it I'll relocate the skid down and back equally.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Moved the holes now and noticed somehow my torsion Springs got set on the lowest setting sometime when I was changing tracks. A lot better now. Now let's see how it goes on the hills

Premium Features