• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real basic clutching/gearing questions

P
Dec 15, 2018
So in my past engine world gearing has been to optimise horse power or more importantly torque and to accomplish a relative goal. My examples-drag race or Bonneville. I've never messed with a snowmobile before. If a guy wanted a more consistent acceleration (slower) just to be a begginer, could he gear it down and increase clutch weight to make it a bit more of a gradual acceleration and still allow the engine its happy rpm range? Sounds dumb to you iam sure but iam thinking it would give me more confidence this first season and I'll be no where terrain wise where I'd be disadvantaged.I've read that these engines like to be at a certain rpm to function and they suffer failures when not? So instead of having my stock "first gear" just gear it more like a granny gear? Thanks sorry this is so basic but I've yet to get to know any mechanic s who I can talk to.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
It’s not a dumb question at all!
If you were into gearing at Bonneville then snowmobile clutching/gearing will be quite enjoyable for you.
The bible for clutching is Olav Aaen clutching handbook. If you check it out, it will give you a good base to start from.
Ps-Careful with clutching though. It can get obsessive and addicting.

G
Nov 30, 2007
Olav's book is a must have.

Joe's website has alot of good basic clutch/gearing info to read through, poke around alot of stuff to absorb. Mostly for ski-doo type but the basics work for all.

Also google for some of his vids, informative and entertaining!!

-grover

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok so I'll admit...my hear hurts reading about this. So my first try ( with my brain) to make a slower (smoother) acceleration and a lower rate of speed. Lower the primary spring tension and increase the secondary spring tension? Seems like a taller "first" gear would bog the engine? But just having the ratio in the secondary restricted so to speak would slow it down. I know this isnt what most guys want but the damn thing is so "darty" it's hard for me to control the throttle lol. Iam guessing...that when your in deep snow all this changes? So when I see a guy wot going in deep snow bed actually not going 50-90mph right . Even though the sled sounds like it right? Let's say hes on flat ground in real deep snow. Is he going around 30-40? Yaha iam dumb. I get spinning the damn thing and I get rpm and max torque but iam struggling to understand how not to spin it and not bog or to loose all the performance lol. Dumb lol

P
Jan 22, 2013
leduc, alberta
Ok so I'll admit...my hear hurts reading about this. So my first try ( with my brain) to make a slower (smoother) acceleration and a lower rate of speed. Lower the primary spring tension and increase the secondary spring tension? Seems like a taller "first" gear would bog the engine? But just having the ratio in the secondary restricted so to speak would slow it down. I know this isnt what most guys want but the damn thing is so "darty" it's hard for me to control the throttle lol. Iam guessing...that when your in deep snow all this changes? So when I see a guy wot going in deep snow bed actually not going 50-90mph right . Even though the sled sounds like it right? Let's say hes on flat ground in real deep snow. Is he going around 30-40? Yaha iam dumb. I get spinning the damn thing and I get rpm and max torque but iam struggling to understand how not to spin it and not bog or to loose all the performance lol. Dumb lol
The answer to your question is that the secondary clutch is torque sensing....when load increases, the secondary closes to create a downshift, thus allowing the engine to maintain rpm. Lowering the engagement will soften the response at lower rpm's, as will softening the secondary spring. raising engagement and increasing the secondary spring tension will sharpen the response.

Premium Features