• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RE-Fish Creek plane crash

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
Steamboat Springs — Authorities found the wreckage Tuesday of a twin-engine Cessna 310 that disappeared Sunday morning. The passenger and pilot — a Hayden man and his son, were killed.

Mark Klapperich, 56, of Hayden, and Levi Klapperich, 26, of Durango, died in the crash. The plane was found about 1 p.m. Tuesday, six miles east of Steamboat Springs near Fish Creek Reservoir.

“My understanding is it’s at 9,900 feet, in a fairly heavily treed area,” said Randall Hannaway, a member of Routt County Search and Rescue. “It’s very close to the reservoir, based on what I looked at on the map. It would appear to me that it would be very rugged terrain.”

Hannaway said it was too early to determine the cause of the crash. The National Transportation Safety Board was on its way to review the scene, he said.

“The plane itself, my impression was it was in very rough shape,” Hannaway said. “It sounded like there was a fire.”

The plane was on the northwest side of the reservoir, he said.

Levi Klapperich was flying the Cessna that disappeared Sunday morning after leaving Yampa Valley Regional Airport in Hayden. Klapperich was a licensed commercial pilot as well as a flight and ground instructor, according to Federal Aviation Administration records.

The plane was listed as belonging to Robert Hutter of Bayfield. No one answered the phone at his home, but a 310 Cessna was listed for sale on several Web sites under his name and telephone number. It’s unclear whether that was the same plane.

The Klapperiches were heading for Fort Collins-Loveland Municipal Airport. Levi Klap*perich had left Durango on Saturday to pick up his father at YVRA, his family said.

Their destination was Boulder, for the annual Bolder Boulder 10K race. Several members of the family planned to run it this year, Doug Klapperich said. He is Mark Klapperich’s nephew and Levi Klapperich’s cousin.

“It was mainly family from Colorado that had assembled on the Front Range to rendezvous and run the race Monday,” Doug Klapperich said. Klapperich, who earlier described his family as close knit and said Levi and Mark were “key components of that,” could not be reached after the wreckage was found.

On Monday, the Civil Air Patrol had expanded the search to encompass 4,000 square miles in 11 counties. That included nine in Colorado and two in Wyoming, said Maj. Mark Young, Civil Air Patrol spokesman. The search covered the same area Tuesday, he said.

Search and Rescue spokeswoman Riley Polumbus said a searcher had noticed an unusual smell while snowmobiling Monday.

“At one point, one of the rescuers smelled something and thought, ‘That’s not a snowmobile smell,’” Polumbus said. “They marked it on GPS.”

When the rescue teams returned for debriefing that night, the smell was one of the significant findings of the search. The team returned Tuesday and found the wreckage quickly, Polumbus said. She said she thought it was unlikely that searchers on planes would have been able to see the site.

“I think the one thing we really wanted to stress was to thank everybody, the family members and all their friends, and all the different agencies that helped,” Hannaway said.

Polumbus and Hannaway said they knew of no previous plane crashes in the spot. But people get lost, stuck or hurt when snowmobiling or skiing near Fish Creek Reservoir each year, Polumbus said.

“There’s 10 feet of snow up there, more or less,” she said. “It’s treacherous terrain.”

:(

D
Nov 6, 2019
I know this Is way old but first I'm seeing on here and not sure where the article came from but it's a load of bullshit. I was the one who found the aircraft and levi was not only a very good friend of mine but also one of my flight instructors. The search and rescue who we met up with in the morning in the parking lot was very unfriendly to start with and made 3 of us who came to look feel very unwanted at first then after I finally convinced them I have first responder training, emt, search and rescue training along with being a pilot and knowing how levi would think and react and even plan a flight they let us tag along. We left the trail head at 830 to 9 and by 1030 11 they were all ready to stop and take lunch. While they are lunch I explained to them we were going to ride to the end of the peak on the north side of fish creek and scout. From the top. They literally told us we were wasting time and that they had searched there before. Well we rode to the end and I decided to drop down into the bottom of the ravine and ride out. As I was riding out I spotted the prop and prop hub about 100 yards from the airplane sitting in the side of the hill faced up. Circled around and seen what little was left of my good friends aircraft after a post accident fire. The search and rescue team had no smells thats all bullshit. They actually split up in 2 groups and the other group drove off in a creek drainage. I do appreciate the search and rescue efforts but they really were very unwelcoming and arrogant.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Arrogant rescue workers... say it isn't so. Same issue with wildland fire watchers, no idea what they are doing, too arrogant to accept help because they are professionals....LOL This is exactly what happens when we exalt the people doing these jobs as somehow better and smarter than anybody else. They are just people doing jobs, and they make mistakes just like everybody else. I am so tired of hearing about these false hero's. Pretty sure if we lost someone in the backcountry SAR would not be a call I would make. Confident our group is more capable than the people they would send.

D
Nov 6, 2019
Like I said I know this is an old post. But after a Google search I had found this. It just pisses me off that Sar tries to play the hero when in reality they were just rude and had no reason to be. I appreciate the kind words for my friend. It's been over 10 years and still have a hard time going to rabbit ears and riding and not thinking about my friend.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Like I said I know this is an old post. But after a Google search I had found this. It just pisses me off that Sar tries to play the hero when in reality they were just rude and had no reason to be. I appreciate the kind words for my friend. It's been over 10 years and still have a hard time going to rabbit ears and riding and not thinking about my friend.
Not justifying anything they did or didn't do, but can you imagine the number of times that people show up to help search and rescue and don't have any business being out there? These people end up being liabilities and then search and rescue needs to find them.

Sorry for you loss, but take a look at the other perspective here.

D
Nov 6, 2019
Sar almost had to be rescued themselves! The second team rode off into an open drainage! Took them 3 hrs to get out! I understand the issues that could arise from some average joe showing up but these guys had no idea who I was nor did they bother to ask any questions from the start when they were rude. I didnt just show up with 2 rental sleds and no gear. I was as prepared and capable as the sar group with my equipment I brought with me

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
We dropped into one the fish creek drainages a few years back in neck deep snow. Major Stuck Fest, exhausted and out of daylight to find an alternate way out, we called Rout Co. S&R to give them a heads up, they said "sucks to be you, conditions are too deep for a rescue, suggest making a fire, call us in the morning. Overnight lows of -15! Thanks to FB and Snowest, within 4-5 hours there were a team of well rested local Snow Ninja's with adequate machines and riding skills to come help us out. We successfully avoided a potentially deadly situation thanks to their abilities and willingness to help us out. My question is why cant Search and Rescue drop their inflated ego's, and expand their team to include these highly skilled riders ("Sled Team 6")when they are overmatched. Ridiculous not too!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

D
Nov 6, 2019
We dropped into one the fish creek drainages a few years back in neck deep snow. Major Stuck Fest, exhausted and out of daylight to find an alternate way out, we called Rout Co. S&R to give them a heads up, they said "sucks to be you, conditions are too deep for a rescue, suggest making a fire, call us in the morning. Overnight lows of -15! Thanks to FB and Snowest, within 4-5 hours there were a team of well rested local Snow Ninja's with adequate machines and riding skills to come help us out. We successfully avoided a potentially deadly situation thanks to their abilities and willingness to help us out. My question is why cant Search and Rescue drop their inflated ego's, and expand their team to include these highly skilled riders ("Sled Team 6")when they are overmatched. Ridiculous not too!

I couldnt agree more!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Why wont SAR reach out to sledders... EGO, simple as that.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Why wont SAR reach out to sledders... EGO, simple as that.

I doubt it's that simple.

We don't any such thing around here that I know of, I mean - other than Sheriff's posi- generally the horse club ....
I'm in the corn fields, and not much place for folks to git lost or in trouble around here, so I am not close to the issue here, but I would like to be on such call list if I was in such an area. On the other hand, I'm guessing that liability and training concerns are as much an issue as having to go in and rescue the rescuers.
We've had similar posts about folks searching that couldn't read - or even have a compass, and didn't know the area.

I like to think that the local cops and such around here know enough to call me if a blizzard situation, but I tend to be "not seen" all that much, and likely not on most folks radar, so I should maybe ping the chief one day on the subject. I keep waiting for '78 to stop back around one day!

Could turn into a real cluster real quick.

However - I am VERY interested in the comment about FB/SnoWest postings and anythng else that you would care to detail for us.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
If you want to get involved in SAR, then go do it. Get the training, learn their procedures. Maybe you can bring more to the table than they currently have. But, you can't be mad when they don't want you to be part of their crew when you randomly show up. They have no idea your training, and you certainly don't know their procedures. They can't stop you from going out and looking on your own, but if you really want to help, get involved! They are always looking for volunteers.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com

Did you have cell service down in whatever hole you were in?

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
If you want to get involved in SAR, then go do it. Get the training, learn their procedures. Maybe you can bring more to the table than they currently have. But, you can't be mad when they don't want you to be part of their crew when you randomly show up. They have no idea your training, and you certainly don't know their procedures. They can't stop you from going out and looking on your own, but if you really want to help, get involved! They are always looking for volunteers.

It just seems silly the supposed best response group doesn't want to include the best people for the job.

D
Nov 6, 2019
I can tell you when this fish creek airplane accident happened they were not a group of welcoming people. It may have changed and they may want help today but I sure hope there attitude and procedures have changed.

D
Nov 6, 2019
Here's a picture of the national gaurd landing at the site.
23cf4ab4e04c31ca6b73b558dec48f0c.jpg

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
It just seems silly the supposed best response group doesn't want to include the best people for the job.

How do they know who the best people are? Do you have stickers on your truck that say this? Or did you show up and tell them how good you were?

Look at this from an outsider perspective. Someone shows up randomly who has never helped SAR with anything else at anytime. They tell SAR how good they are and that they want to help.

Premium Features