• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rasmussen suspension questions

Ranzou

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2018 Summit X 175".

After researching and talking to many professionals, shops, and manufacturers I believe the Rasmussen suspension best matches my needs (or at least has the best sales pitch). The RRS Facebook page has a 40 minute video from the Utah Snowmobile Show on October 27, 2018 that goes into a lot of detail for each component.

The main selling points for me is the longer progressive rear torsion spring, the 3-stage front springs with regression that can support the sled while on edge for extended periods of time, durability of the RCS springs, and weight savings of the titanium with less memory loss over the steel version.

Fox is not releasing an iQS for the 175" this season. The QS3-R looks interesting and was my choice prior to the snow show. However, most professionals recommend a coil over as opposed to air shocks. The Ski Doo booth's professional rider recommended the Fox Zero's from their catalog.

Raptor is still testing their Kinetic series for the G4 and release date is unknown.

Elka's customer support didn't help much, but did show me where to find compatible options on their website.

Tom's Snowmobile has great options, but I'm concerned about the torsion delete in the long run.

Has anyone used the Rasmussen suspension setup? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I watched a binch of those utah seminar vids also it completely changed my outlook on xm or g4 setup have been running front springs on softer setting cause seemed the help lay over easier not realizing like bret said youve already used up half the travel to initiate and more as sidehilling and using up rest of the travel tp hold sled into the hill along with terrain that bottoms the shock which no wonder why you cross a rut and wants to lift the hillside side of the sled and set other ski back down. I like the non coil over rear skid skidoo has and wouldn't change to coilover. Have had few top skidoo tech say they dont really like air shocks. Gonna be redoing my limiter strap also
Now I or most arent as hardcore tech riders like Rasmussen so his kit is designed for his super tech type riding beleive thats why his kit is $2500 wow. Think biggest amout of riders out there dont need that radical of a kit or setup.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I don’t have any experience with the Renton coil spring, Titanium stuff.

But I am a huge fan of Toms Snowmobile product. Nice weight savings, better functionality, more adjustable. At least in my experience.
I’ve been running Fox Float shocks since my 04 REV Summit X on the front skis. Never one issue, no leaks, nothing.
I’ve been running Toms rear Fox float Evol since it was released for the 08 Summits. Again not one single issue. Just great performance and getting rid of those annoying torsion springs. I’ve always gained a better running height( not sacked out) from the suspension, better ride quality.
Again this has been my experience, nothing but good things.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I have experience with both. Brett built a good product based on what he was looking for, and it does perform when the going gets spicy. However, it leaves a lot to be desired on trail and has a very strange feeling to it.

You have to remember, part of the reason Brett is running this setup is he isn't allowed to extensively modify his skid. He has to run the torsion bars per his deal with Ski-Doo.

Tom and I worked on a setup last year that accomplished a lot of the same goals while still offering a lot more comfort and plushness on trail. Plus, it utilizes that natural properties of an air spring (progressive) to do what Brett is trying to do with the torsion bars.

Basically what Tom and I did is make a setup that has the front track shock setup to be very linear through the top 1/2 of its travel and very light from a low speed compression standpoint. This allows the front arm to easily collapse getting the sled up on snow. Like Brett's setup, we let the limiter all the way out.

The rear track shock was valved and setup for the application. Being I was turbo'd, it was setup to be very progressive and a bit firmer than your stock Fox QS package. Either way, this is where ski lift is controlled.

Overall this setup was absolutely brilliant. Held a steeper sidehill without washing, I could still lift my skis if need be, did not trench (due to front track sock tune) but the rear track shock limited weight transfer at a point very well.

Give him a call - He's got a skid setup for $1299 that includes custom valved shocks. Its a great setup.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I have experience with both. Brett built a good product based on what he was looking for, and it does perform when the going gets spicy. However, it leaves a lot to be desired on trail and has a very strange feeling to it.

You have to remember, part of the reason Brett is running this setup is he isn't allowed to extensively modify his skid. He has to run the torsion bars per his deal with Ski-Doo.

Tom and I worked on a setup last year that accomplished a lot of the same goals while still offering a lot more comfort and plushness on trail. Plus, it utilizes that natural properties of an air spring (progressive) to do what Brett is trying to do with the torsion bars.

Basically what Tom and I did is make a setup that has the front track shock setup to be very linear through the top 1/2 of its travel and very light from a low speed compression standpoint. This allows the front arm to easily collapse getting the sled up on snow. Like Brett's setup, we let the limiter all the way out.

The rear track shock was valved and setup for the application. Being I was turbo'd, it was setup to be very progressive and a bit firmer than your stock Fox QS package. Either way, this is where ski lift is controlled.

Overall this setup was absolutely brilliant. Held a steeper sidehill without washing, I could still lift my skis if need be, did not trench (due to front track sock tune) but the rear track shock limited weight transfer at a point very well.

Give him a call - He's got a skid setup for $1299 that includes custom valved shocks. Its a great setup.

Does tom have a kit with the rear arm that eliminates the t motion

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I just installed a set of Tmo limiter bushins from Mikmac on here great deal fast shipping Noticeable difference how chassis doesnt roll over the ski just on shop floor pulls the outer rail up pretty quick, easy install I put them in with skid in sled ratchet strap all ya need just slightly suspend rear of sled off ground wa done in about 20 min. My sled should be Huge difference, in off Season Ive Rebuilt rear skid shocks, installed SHR T3 skid relocate, mover rear lower scissor back 3/4in, new hyfaxs, New Ras2 frontend, New ski bushings with Munster bushing savers, Swaybar disconnect, Skinz Post Forward kit, CFR 2.0 backcountry bars and ODI grips longer thicker ones. Just need to know where to set my front shocks for sidehilling .
e8ceaf6586069816daf78c26bd921588.jpg
a8d84c4a8e87fecbf5b59ee69bf8a062.jpg
266dcd5e0fe21e5bd33bc1660305035e.jpg
26e7217cf6744bc107f070e24dd19e74.jpg
11f2f16dc272b4e9115ecf99ccf3ba80.jpg

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Premium Features