• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

raptor 700

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
Quick photoshop, Would this work?

Pros:
-100+hp with a turbo (decently reliable)
-Comes with e-start, reverse stock
-Seat is actually comfy vs bike seats

Cons:
-Weight, well it weighs approx 40lbs more than a yfz450 (the 450 quad), so assuming that's mostly in the engine. add 10 more for turbo components etc., assume it loses a bit of weight with a stripped down frame/no wheels, compare that to a 450 bike and it might be in the ~380lb wet range? Who knows.
-Width, kind of wide with a lockup clutch, but way skinnier than a cvt still

Overall the power would be better than a 450 mx bike but not as heavy as a sportbike conversion.
A-arm front end because I still think it would be superior to forks but I suppose it could be forks too (but then why not just put the motor into a bike chassis)

Thoughts?

attachment.php

700r.jpg

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
I have thought of this exact same thing a few times, just haven't had the time to get after it.

I think it could work well, but might be too much effort for the gain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
Don't bother. It's got 10 less hp than a modern 450. Might be more reliable stock but the turbo will Change that. Reverse would be nice but not worth the weight penalty.

I built a 55hp kfx450 snow bike with reverse and is only a few pounds heavier than the mx engine but the flywheel weight of the atv crank really kills the fun factor. It's for sale.....

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I think it's an interesting idea. Only if you dig into the motor though. Those Raptors are so restricted stock it's not even funny. I've heard the sand duners get 80hp out of them. Probably take a couple grand to get there though. Only way you're going to get that out of a 450 bike engine is to add a shot of nitrous. Then your reliability is going to go downhill again.

Premium Features