• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Raptor 700 engine in snow bike?

R
Nov 19, 2019
Has anyone out there tried to squeeze a raptor 700 engine into a snowbike yet? I've raced quads for years and have a stock bore and stroke Raptor that's 70 hp. The quad beats the hell out of me and I think I'm kinda done with it.
But, this engine with a turbo pumps out big hp and I'm surprised that I've not seen anyone use this engine yet. I know it's heavier, but 100 plus reliable horsepower with a turbo sounds like what I need in my snowbike. If someone has tried this please share.

R
Nov 19, 2019
Tranny and clutch can take the hp with small.upgrafes and I'll be the only guy with reverse. Well I'm gonna go for it, when I get it figured out I'll let y'all know.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I have reverse on one of my snowbikes. Its pretty sweet. I used a KFX450 motor and put kx parts on it to get the big HP. It has a gigantic flywheel and revs up like a diesel truck so kinda kills the fun factor but 70hp might be better. The turbo seems to be a deal breaker for many, They try it and sell it the next season.

R
Nov 19, 2019
I have heard about the 450 s having issues with turbos, but the Raptor 700 can handle a turbo. There are many dune bikes running turbos with no issue. The Raptor community is very well informed and has tried about every setup imaginable. I encourage you to go to a raptor forum and do some reading about this engine. It's a beast and you could do this reasonably if you have the know how. Don't discount the years of experience and money spent on these engines just because they are in a quad. There's guys in Dubai with endless bank accounts that have Raptors that will blow your mind, and guys here in the states have been able to figure out what works because of people who have no limits. I could go on and on but trust me Raptor engines are bad mofos!

R
Nov 19, 2019
Stock Raptor 700 is around 40 horse or less. My mods are as follows.
+1 mm valves
Cnc ported Racers edge head
Webcam stage 2
Ignition, FCI intake
Powercommander fuel controller
Barker's dual exhaust
Dyno tuned by Roosterbuilt in Wa state
70 hp and I can't recall my torque numbers but I'll look for my dynosheet, or you can add a turbo to basically stock Raptor with 7-10 pounds of boost and be over 100 hp easily and reliably.
Maybe I'm crazy, but importing some euro motor or putting in a big bore old school two stroke seems pointless when these engines are all over. What's everyone's thoughts, am I nuts or missing something?

E
Dec 19, 2007
No your not nuts I've thought of doing it too. If you have an engine already you sould try it if you have the skills, it would be a fun project. Try without boost first 70hp is no joke and may be more fun to ride without turbo lag and rev limiter issues. I just know with snow bikes hp isn't the only factor, I've had big bore 2 strokes, 450's, long tacks and short tracks in my garage all at the same time and usually will pick the smallest track 2 stroke first if its running. My buddy has a R1 timbersled sitting in his garage and never rides it. Just keep in mind If you decide you don't like the end result it will be hard to sell.

On my 450 quad build the transmission is a tad wider and was hard to get the sprocket to line up in a bike frame. The engine is ofset slightly to the right. Not a big deal but my right foot is always hitting the clutch cover and makes me stand upp goofy footed. Most people never stand anyway....

Last edited:

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
I posed the same question and got shot down, what changed? Jk ;)

Honestly I think it would be sweet. The wide clutch might be an issue though

E
Dec 19, 2007
I didn't realize the engine was that much heavier than a 450. 40lbs is a lot. I probably wouldn't do it. You are getting close to the weight of an r1 engine.

R
Nov 19, 2019
Yes it would be difficult, but I don't want to give my engine away by selling the quad for basically nothing. But I just read about Arctic cats new engine that's a fuel injected single cylinder producing 65 hp. Now that sounds even better then the raptor. Kinda makes me think that eventually Arctic cat may put this engine in a snowbike. I hope they do, and I'm sure someone will do this soon on their own. Would be awesome with the cvt tranny.

R
Nov 19, 2019
If I do put really engine in I will definitely roll without a turbo for awhile to see if it would even be a possibility. Thanks for your responses

Premium Features