• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

radios

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
CAn you detail the helmet set up? How do you do a repeater , what do you do for a power a source??

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I am now looking at antenna and looked at Nagoya 771 buy frankly cant tell the real from counterfeit. Has anyone used this brand ... kind of expensive $20 BUT hand made ... https://signalstuff.com/

Generally it is the green packaging and includes an o-ring to seal between the antenna and the radio. The molded section that narrows is smooth and not a steeped design as seen in the fake.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Street price for Nagoya 771 is around $20 ... Can buy a hand made antenna directly from https://signalstuff.com/ for the same price of $20. Why not go direct to eliminate the likelihood of a counterfeit? im still looking for an "authentic Nagoya 771" under $20

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'm a happy rino user but i can't find a durable shoulder mic for the single pin and i don't have any friends willing to spend $400+ on the Garmin. It is so nice being able to track down friends with the Garmin!

Sent it

Leave your Rino on your sled as your "legal" transmitting radio and have a Baofeng in your pack with a shoulder mic for your "emergency" radio. Officially only transmit from your Rino and listen on your Baofeng.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Leave your Rino on your sled as your "legal" transmitting radio and have a Baofeng in your pack with a shoulder mic for your "emergency" radio. Officially only transmit from your Rino and listen on your Baofeng.
I have the license to operate on GMRS(my rino is dual band) so, unless there is something else making the baofeng unlawful, wattage? Frequencies? I should be able to legally operate it.

Sent it

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have the license to operate on GMRS(my rino is dual band) so, unless there is something else making the baofeng unlawful, wattage? Frequencies? I should be able to legally operate it.

Sent it

For those who don't have a ham operators license you should get it but some don't or won't. And depending on your country there are different rules and requirements.

B
May 13, 2009
I have been doing a lot of work in this area and have learned much.
Many Baofeng radios are only 5 watt even if advertised at higher. To be sure of the spec go to the Baofeng website https://www.baofengradio.com/ and see which models they promote, only those can you be sure about. Other models may be solid but sold by a third party and may not be approved in your country. I have one such radio and it is good only it is 5 watts and was sold as 8 watts. Here is an example of another similar radio but likely only 5Watts. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001510193338.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7aef4c4dH6KiXI

They all seem to program with Chirp software but as a UV-5R model.

Next is antennas. There are lots of knock of antennas too and they load up the radio and the power just does not get out. The Nagoya Original NA-771 have tested out good for me. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32817805833.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7aef4c4dH6KiXI

I tried the knock off NA-771 and they were usable but worse SWR when tested on my meter.

Definitely these longer antennas do make reception better, more so than looking for more power.

Hope that helps.
good info thanks

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The Oxbows are alright. Cheaper than a BCA. You don’t have to take up space in your pack and dig the thing out to charge or if you are having issues.

Battery life seems excellent.

The volume knob should have like 6-8 preset volumes that require a little bit of “force” to change. In current form it is just a progressive knob that is super easy to turn, and I find it shut completely off throughout the day.

I have been accidentally hitting the PTT button often. I need to work on finding a better mounting location or method. I do like that the button is responsive to minimal touch though, seems like on the BCAs half the time I would be holding the button and talking without it working.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If you use FSR's to access trailheads, make sure to get something that can communicate between sledders, and also program for the forestry road channels (the BCA's can't do that). Tons of problems every winter in BC with the public driving on active FSR's with no radio. 1 lane snowy/icey road with loaded logging truck coming down and truck pulling sled trailer going up = a bad time.

Premium Features