• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Racing RMSHA - A Racer220 Guide To Getting Started

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Very Nice #220!!!

I expect to see your name on an admin ballot soon!

Thank you HA!! Maybe I should put in for a spot :face-icon-small-dis Lately it seems like that may be the closest I'll even get to the circuit, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work this year. Sure would be depressing to miss out especially with some new races and formats on the table. SPONSORS!! SPONSORS!! I could sure use some cash to fill the $5k hole in my wallet from truck and medical bills this fall LOL.... Maybe not all of it, but a little would help. :face-icon-small-win Gotta pay to play my friends. Life is good!

........but my sled hates me right now. All stuck in a corner of the garage and stuff. Every day.......... Lots of new snow........... :face-icon-small-sad HA!

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
Hey 220

I hear ya on the healing. I am working to get over a brain tumor. I was looking last year at making a run at Snow King but I had my surgery on 9 Dec so my season was shot.

But doin better and have been working to regain my balance issues. So with a bunch of work and some sled repairs, I'll be riding this year.

Were looking like winter finally and should get on the hill pretty soon.

Take care and we'll see ya at Jackson either way.

syko

S

Sleddin4Life

Jul 13, 2009
Riverton, UT
Racer220 has done an awesome job of answering the basic questions and has been more than willing to help out with my many private messages/e-mails I have sent him. I'm looking forward to running a couple of RMSHA races in the Semi-Pro class this year and appreciate the guys like Mitch who are willing to help out. It's the guys like you that help grow the sport.

Are there any new racers in Utah that are going to run some races this year? It will be my first year and if there are others that want to go through the learning curve with me and maybe even pound out a little course on a weekend let me know. I won't be running every race but plan to hit a couple of the closer ones.

Also for those who don't know, the Preston and Lost Trail races have been cancelled.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Thanks for the props man ^^^! As stated the first race was canceled, so there's a couple extra weeks to get things lined up and ready for Bear Lake Feb. 8-9. There are not many better hills on the circuit to try out hillclimb racing than Bear Lake. It's wide open and has virtually no obstacles to risk breaking anything, and is a great spectator hill if you plan to bring anyone along to watch. It also has an Amateur (locals) class that is a much less expensive and just as exciting way to see if you have what it takes to race.

I want this thread to stay alive all winter, so post up anything you want to know or discuss.

racer

R
Oct 3, 2008
Eureka, Montana
I want to enter the next race in the semi pro class. I have a 2011 freeride that is all stock and a 2013 summit x 154" but I have put a SLP pipe and can on it. Can I race my 13 in the stock class? my guess is no. Do you think I would be better off on my freeride because of the set up. I want to ride the xm but want to be able to race in all classes. Guess I should just bring both.

Thanks for all your info and help!

A

AMSOILR

Nov 9, 2008
Idaho
Bear Lake Hillclimb

[/IMG]
Thanks for the props man ^^^! As stated the first race was canceled, so there's a couple extra weeks to get things lined up and ready for Bear Lake Feb. 8-9. There are not many better hills on the circuit to try out hillclimb racing than Bear Lake. It's wide open and has virtually no obstacles to risk breaking anything, and is a great spectator hill if you plan to bring anyone along to watch. It also has an Amateur (locals) class that is a much less expensive and just as exciting way to see if you have what it takes to race.

I want this thread to stay alive all winter, so post up anything you want to know or discuss.

racer
The Bear Lake Hillclimb is coming up soon. Racer 220 is already helping to promote the race. The Bear Lake County Rim Riders are putting it on this year. There will be a local amateur class on Saturday. We are also having some 120cc races for the kids. We are always looking for hill help if anyone is interested. Check out the RMSHA web site for contact information. Come on down and watch some great entertainment.
scan0004_zpsb458db41.jpg

Last edited:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
I want to enter the next race in the semi pro class. I have a 2011 freeride that is all stock and a 2013 summit x 154" but I have put a SLP pipe and can on it. Can I race my 13 in the stock class? my guess is no. Do you think I would be better off on my freeride because of the set up. I want to ride the xm but want to be able to race in all classes. Guess I should just bring both.

Thanks for all your info and help!

The Freeride would work in all 3 classes. A lot of Semi-Pro guys run a stock sled in all 3 and they are definitely capable of qualifying. The '13 will only be legal in Improved Stock and Mod. All ISR rules are applicable when running as a RMSHA member, and I would assume as a temporary member in Semi-Pro classes if you are not planning on paying the full membership. Reason I bring up ISR is there are more safety things you have to do to an Imp/Mod sled i.e. better clutch guard, belting around clutch perimeter, etc... These are all outlined in the ISR manual. Amateur class is not sanctioned and usually requires helmet, tether, and chest protector for safety gear. It is a 'run what you brung' style class, and is usually run towards the end of finals day.

Oh and I was reading the rules about putting the sponsors logo on your back or your disqualified? Looks like it's SLP what do most guys do about that if you don't pre order the bibs or jacket?

As a RMSHA member you will be issued a bib if you opt for one that will have all the circuit credentials and your number. You may be able to pick a number of your choice if it's available, or pick one that is available if your choice is taken. If you do your own jersey or jacket you need to have RMSHA, your number, and the SLP logo in appropriate sizes on it (also) outlined in the ISR manual. I'd reference it, but it's in the shop and I'm feeling lazy right this second. :face-icon-small-blu If you run as a temporary member in Semi-Pro a bib will be assigned to you for that race with everything on it you need. You won't be able to pick your number.

I would assume there is money that can be made here?

Yes. Pros/Womens pays out Top 5 IIRC, Semi-Pro pays out Top 3. Assuming Juniors and Amateurs class also pays out Top 3, but ask a promoter rep to verify that.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
I have a buddy that used to race about 15 yrs ago and he has 2" titanium paddles that you bolt to the track do you guys use those any more?

Yes. It mostly depends on what kinds of conditions we have that you would see the benefit of them, and there are races that they are not allowed at anymore such as Afton. You can only use them in Improved Stock/Mod classes as well. Most of the sleds you will see running them are the Pro guys with turbos. Not too many racers run them all the time, but at hills like Jackson the extra traction is a plus especially towards the end of the weekend. A track loaded up with screws will generally provide adequate traction at places like Bear Lake, Beaver, Pebble Creek. The rest is up to the rider.

R
Oct 3, 2008
Eureka, Montana
Well I signed up today for 5 classes at Bear Lake and paid for a membership cost $500. But I figured if I am going that far I want to ride as much as possible. I chose #944 I am sure I will have a few more questions before the race but thanks for the help! Look forward to seeing ya at the race!

This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and now I am finally doing it guess it's time to shut up and ride:face-icon-small-ton

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Good deal man. Definitely worth it to put in the New Members class for a couple more shots at qualifying for Jackson. Heard good reports about snow down there, so hillclimb weekend should be great conditions. For anyone else wondering about snow flap setups, here are a couple pics about what they want to see and how it should be setup.

(from an email I sent)The ski brakes can really go anywhere on the sled as long as they aren't going to fall off during a run and aren't hard for the hill help to get to i.e. next to the exhaust where they could get burned or zip tied on with too many ties. On my Doos I have just used old style belt clips riveted to the tunnel. When I had my Polaris I had the under seat bag and put them there. That way you just unzip and they come right out. And it didn't add any weight to be worried about or drill extra holes. I used old belts that I just cut in half and bolted a loop together. Just make sure you get them long enough that the loop actually fits the ski. The new Doo skis are a bit too wide and take more than half a belt to get a big enough loop. Or you can use some chain but you don't see that often.

As for the snowflap they really want the stock flap attached with the additional flap behind it for rigidity. The trucker flaps from NAPA, Carquest, etc... work good. What you want to do is cut the top so it fits into the same spot where your stock flap rivets to the tunnel. Then right under the bumper each side should be an inch wider than the tunnel. The length should be long enough so when you sit on the sled it touches, but you don't need a bunch on the ground. They want the stock flap and extra flap to rivet or bolt together to the tunnel then rivet a couple spots about halfway down so they are basically connected. This keeps them working together to stay down instead of flopping all over letting more roost out. The pure function is to keep the flap rigid so debris is less of an issue for hill help and spectators.

IMG-20130129-00136_zps270e3750.jpg

IMG-20130129-00137_zps67ec13e7.jpg

Hi Racer220 I am interested in joining the RMSHA for the 2014 season. Ill be 18 in October so I was wondering if when I start I enter the New Member Semi-Pros? Also, what sleds are good for the class that I need to enter? As far as rules like size, track, track length, weight, and modifications? What is allowed and what isn't?
Thanks

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Hey Tyler,

To briefly answer some of those questions...
Yes, I feel it's a good idea to run at least 1 year of Semi-Pro before figuring out if you can move up to Pro. Talent and money will be the biggest factor. New Member classes are completely separate from Semi-Pro, and you will be racing for a chance to qualify for Jackson and that's it. Pros and Semi-Pros races together in New Member classes, but it is a great way to get more runs at the course too.
Semi-Pro I would stick with 800 cc minimum, and if you don't have a couple sleds then run a stock sled so you can race Stock, Improved, and Mod. The more classes, the better.
ISR dictates a lot of stuff as far as sled specs. Tracks can be any length I think, but have to have a certain amount of lug (1" minimum I think). Weight and modifications are determined by what you can do in Improved and Mod. Stock class is basically Stock out of the box. You can make minor changes to clutch components, shock internals, etc... No motor mods, exhaust, or suspension changes unless it's a direct OEM replacement, but again REFERENCE ISR Rulebook if you aren't sure. Follow the additional links in the thread below for more info as well. My advice unless you know someone you can hang with that already has a setup for racing, stick with a stock 800 and get to a couple races to experience it and learn what works and what you can change. I covered a lot of the essentials for safety gear and sled setup earlier in this thread. Study up on that and it should answer a lot of setup questions.

Thread with more RMSHA info links

D
Feb 9, 2013
I'm planing on racing amateur class in Jackson this year. I'm planning on using my spare sled which i a 09 Polaris dragon. I have Betterbords on this sled and they can not be removed cause the original boards were cut out. Is this going to be a violation of Stock rules. I'm thinking of running it anyway because after all you have to win before they really look at your sled.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Racer220 Where can i get the full ISR rulebook?

I think you can order them online through Wahl Bros racing and a couple other sites. Most full memberships to any circuit will usually get you one as part of the member fee. Any circuit affiliated with ISR gets them, so you might contact someone on the RMSHA board to see if you could purchase a left over. I don't think anything changed for hillclimbing from 2012-2013 so this years or last years would be good if you can get one somewhere.

@Dhblue02, I would just try contacting one of the Snow Devil members and pass that info along to them. Technically any of the board replacements are not considered stock, but it would be up to them if they will allow it. If you do run without getting an answer first and end up qualifying, they will tech your sled before finals. I would make sure they will allow it first so you don't get a DQ in tech for it. Would suck to beat out 40 other riders for a shot at the top and end up not being able to run.

Premium Features