• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quiet 4 stroke exh?

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Im gathering a list of things for my build and a quiet exh is at the top of the list. I was at Baker a few years ago and two sno bikes rode by. I could hear them a LONG ways away, they were incredibly loud. (way louder then any sled I have owned and I rode mod sleds for a long time) I am assuming they both had blown out packing in their silencers and or full on "race" setups with no spark arrestor or muffler. I just don't want to be "that guy" who pisses everybody off with a loud bike.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Just buy any exhaust and run the ama 94 db insert they all come with, might give up a hp or two but will be relatively quite.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
none that quiet

that's one of the annoying issue about most the sno bikes, that stupid loud 4 stroke exhaust note.

they could be better if pointed down towards the snow, built a couple of aluminum end caps to do that, but power robbing although quiets down that riding off in the distance endless thumper noise.

dinky muffler sizes on bikes is part of the issue, 4 stroke noise just really carries, 4 stroke sleds too.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
I'm for sure going to do what I can to make it as tolerable as possible. Once I get the bike and kit mounted I will look into aiming the exh at the ground like most sleds. I do think that would help a lot. Should be fairly easy to do, I have built a ton of stainless headers for race cars so I hope to be able to do this.

L

lacesout

Oct 5, 2014
loud bikes save lives. bikes in general should all be loud. someone can hear you coming or you can hear someone else coming down the trails or wherever. Its not like you are riding in town. who cares what other people think if you are brapping in the country.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
A lot of riding areas have been closed because of attitudes like that... where I ride sound issues are a big deal and I am just trying to do my part to help keep our areas open.

C
Feb 25, 2012
Alberta
I haven't heard a Pro Circuit, I run a FMF Q4 and has a nice sound, not nearly as ear piercing as stock MX mufflers. Avoid 2 brothers as well, had one and it was way too loud even with fresh packing.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I have the same issue my Yosh pipe works well for power but sucks for noise

The stock YZ is quieter than my WR with the Yosh pipe.

So far all I have done resulted in a loss of power -- the YZ is next already a bit quieter and will try a different end cap as soon as I have the snow Kit on.

Keep us up to date on mods and mufflers that might work.

K

KMS

Dec 1, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.kmsperformance.com
My UTV customers have struggled with this for years. The simple and cost effective fix is to use some sort of turn down on the exit. This will bounce the sound down. It does rob about 2-3 hp but the noise factor goes way down.

Sometimes it's not all exhaust noise, my 09 husaberg 570 has amodified air intake through the seat as the air box sits directly under it. When you crack that throttle and get on it, it is literally ear splitting. Ear plugs are mandatory. I gutted the stock exhaust and repacked it, no spark arrester or anything, just a straight shot out. Both mods helped performance. Trying to get these thumpers breathing and quite is a challenge. Maybe the $6000.00 turbo option ...ouch! I'll stick with the $2.00 earplugs for now.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
loud bikes save lives. bikes in general should all be loud. someone can hear you coming or you can hear someone else coming down the trails or wherever. Its not like you are riding in town. who cares what other people think if you are brapping in the country.

you are the reason why the treehuggers want to close all of our trails.

anyway,

The stock exhaust on my Husaberg FE390 (says KTM on the exhaust) is very quiet, I sold my Akrapovic to keep the DB's down.

Quietest aftermarket I have seen is the LEXX from rockymountain with the trail saver tip. It was ~88db on my WR450

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Definately same page I am on.

I love ripping the bikes, and I love a nice crips exhaust note, but after a day of WOT My head is ringing even without ear plugs. Get to the trail without em, gotta head back, sucks. Get a larger OD pipe and do a turn down. not the nicest looking thing, but it helps keep the sound from carrying so dang far.

Also, your not making friends with loud bikes. I know lots of guys want to act tough and pretend it doesn't matter, but whether you like it or not, it does affect you. Don't be a bone head and make noise just because you think its cool.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I had the promoto deal with the turn down quiet cap on my WR450, it worked well for a stock exhaust, but I think the KTM exhaust with the Krizman spark arrestor is a good balance of quiet/power. What bike do you have?

Premium Features