• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive gear down with Pro pulleys.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
for archiving purposes, ended up being injectors.

edit: still have issues, injectors didn't solve anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
B

burgess

Sep 17, 2010
Wright, WY
Helix

I have a set of pro pulleys I was thinking of trying on my 16 axys 163. I also have a 60-42-40 helix collecting dust. Should I put the steeper helix in along with the gearing change, or try it stock first? Sled is bone stock. Running 8050-8150 on 62g weights at 9000-1000, so a bit more rpm wouldn't hurt.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I would try the gears first, several have had good luck with just that change. Plus then you can see what exactly the gears do. If you don both at once, you'll never truly know what each mod did independently.

C
Jan 2, 2018
Axys gearing

Ok 2016 axys 163 2.6 is how my sled started life it is now a 2.8 camso conquer 165 3.5pitch boondocker sidekick alternative impact 36in front end slp vent kits /air intake avid drivers anti-stab kit ect. Just wanting a little more on the bottom end and wondering from the stock 2.86 drivers 2.6 track to the 3.5 pitch drivers and the 2.8 track how much my gearing changed stock numbers to what it is now ? And how to get it back to at least where it was feels like I'm starting out in the wrong gear tell it starts to move a little then it comes to life thanks for any input

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Ok 2016 axys 163 2.6 is how my sled started life it is now a 2.8 camso conquer 165 3.5pitch boondocker sidekick alternative impact 36in front end slp vent kits /air intake avid drivers anti-stab kit ect. Just wanting a little more on the bottom end and wondering from the stock 2.86 drivers 2.6 track to the 3.5 pitch drivers and the 2.8 track how much my gearing changed stock numbers to what it is now ? And how to get it back to at least where it was feels like I'm starting out in the wrong gear tell it starts to move a little then it comes to life thanks for any input

well those 3.5" drivers are larger than the stock ones. made your final ratio higher than stock. could try pro gears to bring it closer stock but with a turbo might be a wee bit low

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
This! My stock Axys churs at 82mph in 1:1 clutch ratio!?? That seems pretty high, does it not? Granted, it does not seem to lack low end snap from the little I have run it, but still..

82mph is close to what my 2011 pro pulled on a short lake pull. Sure it had more to give, but when we talk about 40-41mph trackspeed climbing (low alt) and 1:1 gives you 82??

I'll try to hold out while under warranty, but will keep a close eye on my belts and see how cool things are.

RS
You are 100% correct. 82mph is high as the sled will never get to that speed in the mountains.
A lower gear ratio will get you more responsiveness and it should hold rpm's better at wfo.
There's not much available for gear ratio choices for Polaris so if yoy are 300lb+ then go with the lowest gear available. You may to have run 2-4 grams lighter weights to keep the rpm around 8100. Should work great for you.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lostinblackhills

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rapid City SD
As a 300LB+ snow addict with a limited budget, I cant tell you how excited I am to try this out. Sounds like the best bang for buck performance add on a guy my size could do. Thanks for the info !!!

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I have a set of pro pulleys I was thinking of trying on my 16 axys 163. I also have a 60-42-40 helix collecting dust. Should I put the steeper helix in along with the gearing change, or try it stock first? Sled is bone stock. Running 8050-8150 on 62g weights at 9000-1000, so a bit more rpm wouldn't hurt.

IMHO the helix will be to much, I settled in on a 54 40 .36 or run the stock 40 helix and ive tried a LOT of different ones best of luck

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It's good to hear that this works well and supports the info that RichRacer posted last season...Especially for my bud Murph !

AND ... With BOOST!

However
The 22/44 combo (AXYS-top, ProRide-bottom) would NOT be too loose... It would be too TIGHT for the belt...so I'd say you would have a heck of a time getting the belt on...You would be adding almost 2mm to the combined radius compared to the matched pairs.

The AXYS VS the PRO gear combo... the numbers crunch to having the Pro Gears on the AXYS being a Red-Hair tighter on the belt...but just a couple thou... as long as my algebra is not too rusty.

The ratios that I come up with are:
22/43=1.95:1 [AXYS Pulleys]
21/44=2.09:1 [ProRide Pulleys}
22/44=2.0:1 [Hybrid]

No 'comparative' ratio is needed as you are not changing the diameter of the drivers on your sled...right?
Actual ratio is all you need IMO.

FWIW, I still have the original Axys QD belt on my 2016 Pro-RMK with Pro-Ride sprockets. It's survived a season on a BMP stage 3 set up, running 8T 2.86 Avid drivers and the 2.6 track. Two seasons with a BMP 860 kit and 7T 3" drivers and the 3.2" track. This season I assembled my spare 800 and installed the 2019 Boondocker Sidekick Switch set on high pressure.

I gave it a good look over last fall while it was off for the turbo install and other than the lettering on the outside of the belt being worn off from the occasional belt deflector roller contact, it's still on my sled, but the F-n-I belt deflector kit wouldn't fit with the BD turbo kit, so it's running without it. I don't have the mileage a lot of you guys get, but it's doing great.

ccat

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Im trying Pro gears on my Axys this year too. Stock primary, secondary, helix, and 10-64 weights. I mostly ride around 6-8500ft, and pull 81-8250rpm. I will be over reving with the lower gears, correct? Im thinking 10-66 or 68? Or Dalton adjustable? Thanks for the help.

N
Sep 27, 2015
It's my understanding that you will actually pull less rpm because the load is reduced and the sled upshifts easier. I would make the change and go ride before buying anything different. 8200-8300 is sweet spot.

ccat

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
I didn't change weights after gearing mine down.

This is one of the best mods for altitude riding, especially for the money.
Great, ok. I'll leave the 10-64s and give it a shot in Blue River in a couple weeks.

G
Dec 7, 2018
I ride a 13 pro rmk 163” and I’m looking into switching quick drive gears with a buddy who has an 18 axys chassis 155” sled to gear both of our sleds down. From what I’ve found he would definitely benefit from this and be geared down but I’m having trouble finding out wether or not my 13 pro-ride will be geared down as well. Do you guys think the switch would be good for both of us? We both want to be geared down

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I ride a 13 pro rmk 163” and I’m looking into switching quick drive gears with a buddy who has an 18 axys chassis 155” sled to gear both of our sleds down. From what I’ve found he would definitely benefit from this and be geared down but I’m having trouble finding out wether or not my 13 pro-ride will be geared down as well. Do you guys think the switch would be good for both of us? We both want to be geared down

It will be good for your buddy.

You will be ready for high speed lake runs.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I ride sea level and have geared my sled down for years, it works great. The only drawback is if you want to top end race. But in the pow you will out perform the stock geared sled.

Premium Features