• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

QUESTIONS: Replacing stock non-react spindles with ZRP offset spindles...

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
So I am planning on replacing my 2017's stock non-react spindles with ZRP offset spindles I picked up used but in great shape.

Looking at Polaris' install instructions for the "accessory" colored Axys spindles, they provide all the new nuts and bolts and say discard fasteners as you remove the old spindles.

Is it okay (safe) to reuse the stock spindle hardware? My gut says yes, that Polaris is just covering their bases in terms of liability in case someone has crashed / smashed / broken their original spindles and is replacing them with the accessory ones (since they are way cheaper than the stock parts off the microfiche - huh?). But I don't want to take a chance with something as important as steering...

C
Feb 10, 2019
Saskatchewan
Put a couple drops of blue loctite on and just as good as new. Polaris uses nylock nuts on everything. Technically they are a one time use nut. But if you are much of a handyman and ride your sled like a rental, you will soon come to realize that replacing these each time you take an item off will bankrupt you lol. Buy a bottle of blue loctite and be set forever.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Put a couple drops of blue loctite on and just as good as new. Polaris uses nylock nuts on everything. Technically they are a one time use nut. But if you are much of a handyman and ride your sled like a rental, you will soon come to realize that replacing these each time you take an item off will bankrupt you lol. Buy a bottle of blue loctite and be set forever.
Yeah, that makes sense, and is what I used to do too, been riding and wrenching my own sleds (mostly) for 24 years. I have reused nylocs a lot and usually don't even put loctite on them, I will in this case... maybe I am just getting a little paranoid as I age LOL. (in SNL's Dana Carvey's grumpy-old-man voice... "our steering would fall apart and we crashed, and we LIKED it...")

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
it's always a good thing to go around the suspension bolts once in a while. last year I caught on one of the rear skid arm a bolt 1/4 inch backed out.

that ruins a day

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
it's always a good thing to go around the suspension bolts once in a while. last year I caught on one of the rear skid arm a bolt 1/4 inch backed out.

that ruins a day
The front track shock cross-shaft where it bolts to the skid is infamous for this too... yeah, ruins a day, a front suspension failure could ruin a lot more than that too. :-0

Premium Features