• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for those with Klim or any Alpride avibag

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Recently bought the '23 Klim Aspect 16 with the E2 Alpride electronic blower system. Charged system with USB port and put in two new alkaline batteries. Both battery indicators showed full. This was three weeks ago and bag has just been stored in a cold garage, not yet used. Yday, turned on supercapacitor, light was yellow, but AA batteries were at zero. It's my understanding AA batteries keep capacitor topped off when power level drops off.

So, in those three weeks, capacitor dropped off, batteries topped off till they went dead. Question is- What do you guys do that are weekend warriors like myself? Do you remove AA batteries after each ride, charge capacitor with USB , reinsert AA batteries the night before a ride? Obviously, trying to avoid buying a ton of batteries.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I was using a USB Battery bank to charge the pack the night before (that way it could charge anyplace) and then new batteries the morning of the ride trip. Also make sure to turn off the pack at the end of the day otherwise it would eat batteries. After the ride trip I would take the batteries out for storage. But I could have a few weeks to months in between my uses. I buy my batteries in bulk from Costco and would just take the "used" ones out that were still pretty good and use them for something else at home so I was always putting brand new batteries in my avi pack. Sure I would go through some batteries during the season but much easier then finding a dive shop to fill a tank.

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
Grab some NiCad rechargeable batteries.
6F8D58B8-6741-4408-A3E9-6CD8F0CEEEA1.png
Turn the unit off when when you store it and take the batteries out. This is good practice for your transceiver too to avoid corrosion. Freshly charged batteries will have the capacitor good to go by the time you get to a zone. I don’t even bother with the USB.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I rode with the Aspect 16 last season, and didn't run batteries down nearly that quickly. This is of course with the original Alpride system, so maybe the E2 takes more juice. But I regularly left my bag turned on for weeks at a time (Klim rep doing this himself in one of their videos). I think I went through 3 sets of alkalines all season, changing only after deployments just to be safe. Bag worked great.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Pretty sure the problem was the AA batteries. They were some generic brand I had bought from O'Reilly 's I had laying around in the box.

I really recommend the Aspect 16 as far as feel. That chest plate keeps the load off your back, good mobility and light. I don't pack it with anything but shovel and probe.

First ride with it was interesting as I accidentally deployed it! Around hour 2 of the day, I had the cord from my 509 heated goggles to battery wrap around the avibag handle. Had head down as I approached hill, as I climbed and head came up, it deployed. Will say this, it packed easy (E2 folds different than E1) , and the new Energizer AA had it fully charged in around 30 minutes. Have since rerouted the goggle cord around elastic strap so that shouldn't happen again.

Screenshot_20221220-192213_Messages.jpg

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
I feel I should retract my previous statement. Went out last week and did exactly what I stated above, dead capacitor and relied on batteries to charge it on the ride up. Notice half way through the day that I was blinking red and again checked at the end of the day, was still red. Won’t leave again without usb charge over night and good batteries for backup. Felt I should post this, don’t want to give bad advice with life saving equipment.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
rtfm

AA BATTERIES The E2 SuperCap System uses two AA batteries for two primary purposes: 1- to recharge the SuperCapacitors 2- to guarantee that the SuperCapacitors keep their full power, compensating for their slow loss of charge and ensuring several months of autonomy (see the section on autonomy). NOTE: Only alkaline or lithium (AA batteries) should be used (for quick recharging at very low temperatures). Use brand new, premium quality Alkaline AA / LR6 batteries. Do not use AA zinc carbon batteries and NiCd or NiMH accumulators (rechargeable). These are often not strong enough to sufficiently charge the SuperCapacitors. Depending on the AA batteries technology, recharge and autonomy can vary: • Alkaline batteries: – are capable of 1 recharge OR 3 months autonomy of normal use (1.5 month if constantly on). – it is strongly recommended to change the batteries after 1 recharge of the system (after inflation). • Lithium batteries: – are capable of 3 recharge OR 5 months autonomy of normal use (3 months if constantly on). – it is strongly recommended to change the batteries after 3 recharges of the system (after inflation).

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
Listen to this guy?. With details like that he obviously knows what he is talking about. Anyone who reads this post in the future disregard my original post all together. I assumed NiCad batteries were a better choice simply due to their performance in my GPS compared to lithium batteries. Must not be capable of required discharge rate the capacitor needs.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Listen to this guy?. With details like that he obviously knows what he is talking about. Anyone who reads this post in the future disregard my original post all together. I assumed NiCad batteries were a better choice simply due to their performance in my GPS compared to lithium batteries. Must not be capable of required discharge rate the capacitor needs.
That was out of the manual on KLIM's site. KLIM Aspect Manual

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I charge my bag up at the beginning of the year and put fresh batteries in and they last all season (unless you pull the cord) then I remove the batteries for summer storage. I do shut it off between rides. This is my third season with the Aspect 16.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Have had about 8 rides with the Aspect 16 E2 avibag. Want to add two things I've noticed, one positive, one negative.

The E2 capacitor claims 3 weeks autonomy between use. No way. One week after full USB charge, capacitor will be flashing red. I would not ride with this bag without full USB charge the night before as well as insert AA batteries right before ride.

The chest protector, although small provided decent protection. Smacked into a tree yday, center right torso moderate force into tree. No bruising, just slight ache. Was expecting much worse with impact but it looks like chest protector really helped.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Have had about 8 rides with the Aspect 16 E2 avibag. Want to add two things I've noticed, one positive, one negative.

The E2 capacitor claims 3 weeks autonomy between use. No way. One week after full USB charge, capacitor will be flashing red. I would not ride with this bag without full USB charge the night before as well as insert AA batteries right before ride.

The chest protector, although small provided decent protection. Smacked into a tree yday, center right torso moderate force into tree. No bruising, just slight ache. Was expecting much worse with impact but it looks like chest protector really helped.
From the manual;

AA BATTERIES
The E2 SuperCap System uses two AA batteries for two primary purposes:
1- to recharge the SuperCapacitors
2- to guarantee that the SuperCapacitors keep their full power, compensating for their slow loss of charge and ensuring several months of autonomy
(see the section on autonomy).

AUTONOMY OF THE E2 SYSTEM
The system’s autonomy depends on the quality and energy of the AA batteries and the frequency and duration of use in ON or OFF mode. The times
listed below assume the use of high-quality alkaline batteries:
• Approx. 2-3 months of autonomy with two new AA alkaline batteries not including recharge of the SuperCapacitors (new batteries inserted after
recharging the SuperCapacitors)
• The system can be used without additional AA batteries. However we strongly suggest to always use it with the batteries to ensure extended
autonomy.
NOTE:
• If the system is charged with the USB-C and used without batteries, it will only have a maximum autonomy of 12 to 24 hours, which is perfectly

normal because the AA batteries ensure the autonomy of the E2.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Ryan, thanks for the link to the bags operation. Blows my mind that you can pay over a grand on an item and it does not come with an owners manual. Mine only came with a quick start guide and it was for the older E1 Alpride which has a different supercapacitor and totally different deflation valve.

It's not right that one has to turn to YouTube and forums just to figure out its operation. Klim gets a D for that and should have done better considering this is a life saving device.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I charge my bag up at the beginning of the year and put fresh batteries in and they last all season (unless you pull the cord) then I remove the batteries for summer storage. I do shut it off between rides. This is my third season with the Aspect 16.
Same here 3 years know issues?

Premium Features