• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for the Ladies: Large Clothing?

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Women's gear has improved over the past few years, but still slow in getting to the active, aggressive riding gear. Lots of it is built for looks and warmth which results in uncomfortable and bulky for those of us who like to be more aggressive. HMK has a nice womens pant and jacket that's a shell and for a layering system, similar to what Klim offers the guys. Klim has yet to offer good technical gear for women. IMO. They say they've added a woman designer to improve their line, but I bet she doesn't ride and has no real clue as to what women riders want in their gear as the improvements haven't been that great. Seems the most important thing to offer us women is a drop seat!! Come on now.

At 5'3", and only a 30" inseam, I find it very tough to find gear that is not a foot too long. I have a women's med which fits great everywhere except the long arms and legs. I don't care if I look all trim and sleek, but I do care that I can move around without getting tangled up in my own gear! Too big of gear isn't effective either. It seems like bigger-framed women are wearing guys technical gear (while never perfect, there's lots of options to find something that works), and plus, plus women aren't usually technical riders so they need more warmth and comfort than technical ability (from my observations in the mountains, not saying they aren't out there) I wear a Klim mens boot size 5...the smallest technical boot I could find and womens xsmall gloves, that are too big! There are frustrations for all women riders, not just the plus sizes.

The problem is not enough companies providing enough options for women to find gear that fits them. When a company offers one ladies pant and one womens jacket it's tough to fit everyone's sizing and riding requirements. You don't see jean companies offering one fit only...they'd be broke. If your wife gets into making gear, it's going to have to offer the same breathability, waterproofness and technical aspects of the men's gear or it might as well be just a snowsuit.

F

foxyrmk

Nov 26, 2007
Milton-Freewater, Oregon
myspace
You gals have posted almost everything that I would complained about, but what about us gals that are 6ft and taller, we have a very hard time finding clothing to fit right. A few years back I needed a new pair of pants and at the time it was only Klim Freeride pants that were able to accomdate my length, end even then they were still short.

This year I need a new pair of boots, again it'll be men's, but will have to find something that's narrow and probably end up wearing a thick sock, Yuck!. I wear a 11 and when I find a pair it's like a 10 on me.

I wear mostly all men's gear because the women's line is so full of bulk!

I like pink, but it can be overrated at times.

B
Dec 24, 2007
Question for you ladies.

When it comes to BIG BOYS, there is no shortage of XL, 2XL, 3Xl heck, even 4 and 5Xl are out there.

But are there any companies that cater for large gals looking for "plus" sizes.

FXR Racing makes very nice gear for plus size folks. I am the rep for Ak and Western WA. feel free to e-mail me and I can give you more info or check FXRRACING.com

C
Nov 30, 2007
I have the opposite problem as most of the sled sistas that have posted already. I am curvy, built like a linebacker and 5' 10" so I usually end up with mens product that doesn't incorporate things like hips. I have never purchased a sled specific clothing product and will not until one of the manufacturers comes up with product that is designed for my shape. I wear snowboarding clothes and even there I end up in mens as the womens line is usually made to form fitting to be functional. In the end it comes down to this, if you want my money. . . give me what I want.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher...I think you should review some of rules of the Ladies Only Forum....Seriously.....

1. Treat the women of Snowest with the UTMOST RESPECT they have earned it and deserve it!

2. Any comments that are chauvinist, derogatory or offensive will not be tolerated, please keep it clean and positive in nature.

Your remarks tonight to Soccerd6 are alot of the reasons women don't post on this forum. :mad:

Consider you and your executive privilege "slapped". :eek:

Obviously my attempt at a light hearted response in a serious thread that "I" started, fell on dead ears.

Please accept my most humble apologies for the offense I have caused, it was most certainly NOT intended. For crying out loud, I am the one who suggested to Shwee and Wish that we create this forum. Why on earth would I want to come in and sabotage something I worked to create?

If you honestly think that my comments are driving away other ladies from posting in this forum, and that by my being here I am a greater liability than an asset, I will graciously withdraw from this forum and leave it to you instead.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Christopher, I think the only person who might have answered your question (regarding larger sizing clothing for women) is a dude. Kinda funny... if you ask me. ;)

So, I just read through all the replies, putting myself in the mindset of a sled clothing manufacturer... and I have to tell you... my first thought is "mission impossible". lol We are a tough crowd.

I had a conversation with one manufacturer last year and their response was (summing up) we are 10% of the market share, thus we get 10% of the product share. They are here to make money, not make us happy. We think if you do the latter then money will follow. But in the end, 10% of the market share doesn't justify a company making s,m,l,xl in ever color and in petite, tall and in pear, begonia, (body style)etc. Until we get more girls into sledding we are going to have limited choices.

I know I'm one of the louder pushers for women's gear, but if we look back... the gear manufacturers have come a HUGE distance in 5 years! Atleast all of the companies now are making an effort! THANKS FOR THAT!!! :D

Karen, the coat you have is geared towards flatlanders, not mountain riders. Just FYI. ;)

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Snowboarding gear really is great, but not all of it has the quality of Klim, etc. I got tired of replacing them every year or two and finally bought Freeride pants.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
First, I just wanted to say thank you for putting up the Powder Room for us ladies.

Second, the demand here in Alaska for woman's gear has been increasing over the past years. (which is nice to see since we are getting more woman out there to play) While I'm a big supporter of KLIM gear, they have a nice clothing line out for woman's gear which in my eyes is getting better and better. While the sizes fit me well, pink is not in encoded into my DNA! LOL

However, if you are looking for plus size gear KLIM does make some XL 1x, 2x gear but in mens sizes.

This is all my 2 cents and what we have going on in the market for Alaska. They have the gear out there, you just have to talk to your dealer where you buy your sleds from or clothing from to look into carrying more woman's products. Catch is the demand has to be there to drive the sales for this gear.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Obviously my attempt at a light hearted response in a serious thread that "I" started, fell on dead ears.

Please accept my most humble apologies for the offense I have caused, it was most certainly NOT intended. For crying out loud, I am the one who suggested to Shwee and Wish that we create this forum. Why on earth would I want to come in and sabotage something I worked to create?

If you honestly think that my comments are driving away other ladies from posting in this forum, and that by my being here I am a greater liability than an asset, I will graciously withdraw from this forum and leave it to you instead.

Geesh, I thought nothing of it myself. Maybe had a little chuckle if anything.
Too bad......:(
Having a sense of humor among forum chit chat I assumed was a must.

Hope your wife will pursue the clothing idea.:face-icon-small-hap
I think alterations may be the way to go.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
okay - done with SW.... never again!

Best reply of the night.

I seriously thought both of these posts weren't serious. First over a color, :confused: lol. And Tumbles.... What happened here? I hate when I can't read in between the lines.
I do know-
Christopher has his hands full these days if anyone has stumbled across any of the many posts and or threads out there. He has been bashed and trashed plenty, with many other mods and admin guys.( I feel for you peeps ) I figured he was being funny when he said what he did. :face-icon-small-hap But I guess we all have things that can get to us.;)
Sorry now back to subject. Gear. I need boots. Why the heck don't they make half sizes? Klim and HMK?

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA

I can assure you...My ears aren't dead! :eek: And my sense of humor is 100% intact! In fact, I think 99% of my posts are funny! ;)
One thing I do know-
You can't read tone of voice on a forum...
Christopher...your comments rubbed me the wrong way. Women do want their opinions taken seriously. I think this is a great area of Forum. I applaud Snowest for realizing there is a need for it.
Your apology is accepted. I hope we get some more "Lady Lurkers" posting here.
Oh...and btw...I'm allowed to have an opinion and I like Pink. :rolleyes::p
I hope your wife gets some good ideas from the thread you started. Does she snowmobile?

X
Jan 24, 2009
Eagle River
Originally Posted by sledhead ut
Geesh, I thought nothing of it myself. Maybe had a little chuckle if anything..

AGREED!

Wow i think it may be a lil too serious in here for me!!! With my sarcastic sense of humor i may not be welcome...or maybe we'll have double standards and since i'm a chick it'll be ok to joke around!?!? :D

SO I've never bought "snowmachine" gear for the same reason everyone else has stated. MyToys and I went to our Winter Rec show, I found a pair of men's klims I could go for but they aren't made for hips and have way to much bagginess in the front, although better than the HMKs I tried. Looking at their womens coats I think they're getting better but still need much improvement...especially color choice. So Christopher it'd be great if she started another line, more choices never hurt!!!

N
Nov 2, 2008
GP, your avatar cracks me up! I get dizzy just glancing at it. Thanks for posting it!

I can relate to the sizing issues of all that posted. Nothing ever fits me perfectly either.

Christopher, if you are expecting a bunch of sledgal's to step forward and post that they are a plus size, and can't find gear, you need a lesson about women. They may be a plus size, yet ride well, be in good health, and have a great self image. Most won't openly discuss their actual size, that's private.
Many women lurk and never post about ANYthing at all.

If your wife is able to alter or mend garments, whilst maintaining the waterproof/breathability qualities, have her sign up, join the discussion, and post here. That way people requiring alterations can have a private way to contact her. No offence, but they shouldn't have to go thru you to get info to her. The service someone requires is none of your business. Discretion is the name of your wife's game, in this case.;) You wouldn't want to have to tell a tailor's wife your pants fit great now that the crotch doesn't sag, would ya???

Premium Features