• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

QS3 revalve?

L
Nov 25, 2018
Trying to find research on the necessity for rebuilding the qs3's on my 19 MC due to me being a heavier guy (260lbs w/gear).

I played around with psi settings this past season, but it seemed like it was always too stiff, or would bottom out.

I found the recommended settings on the fox website, but still couldn't get them dialed in.

Is it worth it to have these revalved, or should I be able to adjust with higher/lower psi?

TIA

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
The 19 shocks weren't the best from the factory. Many people have been talking about revalving them. Gas Shock Repair in Idaho has been the most common name coming up for getting them setup to your liking.

L
Nov 25, 2018
A few shops out here said the floats are not worth revalving and to just go to coilovers...but I'm not ready to drop $2K in suspension at this point.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I would rather spend $400ish for something that is rideable and save my money for riding.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What pressure ranges were you trying and what type of riding do you do most?

Since you have compression adjustment capability with the QS3 knobs you should be using the air adjustment for ride height, some bottom out resistance, and weight transfer in the skid. The air pressure is the spring and supports you and the sled. As a heavier rider upping the spring rate (more air) is the most significant change needed. Heavier spring rates should have more rebound damping to control them. You'll know this is the case if you get a bouncy, pogo stick feeling. Can't adjust this without a re-valve.

After pressure's somewhat sorted then use the compression knobs to adjust how soft/stiff the sled feels over bumps, jumps, and terrain. Generally the more aggressive you are the more damping you'll like. you can start with the knobs on 2. Then make one change at a time. If you like what you did then great, but if it seems worse try it the other way. If you have a setting with lower air pressure, QS set to 1, and it feels harsh, you are likely riding too low in the stroke and you're going to feel it packing and bottoming. You can also make it feel harsh with low air pressure and QS set to 3 because then you have little stroke length to work with (I know that's what she said) and the compression is jacked to resist bottoming, but also giving a harsh ride on small bumps. So it's not like there's set rules for a relationship between air pressure and QS settings.

I haven't gotten to ride the stock 2019 stuff, but If it were me I'd start with the ski shocks at 75psi QS2, front track shock at 65psi QS1 (deep snow) QS3 (trail), and rear track shock 140-145 QS1-2 (deep snow) QS2 (trail). I'm 270lb, fairly aggressive rider, and prefer a taller ride height with less damping feel.

Also disagree with the "floats aren't worth revalving" comment. I think the more progressive air springs work well for bigger folks. Spring vs. air is a preference thing.

L
Nov 25, 2018
What pressure ranges were you trying and what type of riding do you do most?

I have them now at 70psi front shocks
RTS at 150.

Think I'll have them revalved. Fox makes good products, so I can't imagine that a good suspension guy can't make them better for my riding.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
A few shops out here said the floats are not worth revalving and to just go to coilovers...but I'm not ready to drop $2K in suspension at this point.

That's a ridiculous statement, if someone know's what they're doing there's huge improvements to be made in floats.

Float 1 & 2s are junk but anything newer than that can be a decent shock.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Toms Snowmoblie has a revalve. I have bought a LOT of stuff from Toms over the years and he’s NEVER let me down. Sending mine off this week.

L
Nov 25, 2018
Stupid question, but do you need to get all 4 done? I am wondering if I can take out the front shocks, and only the rear shock, and leaving the FTS put.

Do I have to remove the skid to get the rear shock out?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Do all 4. No skid removal is needed. But you want to be able to suspend the track off the ground for removal and install. I make sure the shocks have no air in them so I can compress them on install.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Tom only wanted the ski shocks and RTS. He thought the FTS was fine. Like I said I trust him, he’s never let me down before. Only thing I didn’t like about this sled was it wheelies out on steep climbs way to early for me and the thin weak tunnel.

Premium Features