• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pulling flywheel- 03 Escape

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
Track down a bolt/grip type puller. It doesn't need to be a real expensive type but a 3 bolt puller in a Y pattern with the pressure screw in the middle. Depending on the puller you will need to round up 3 metric bolts that are 6mm X 1.0 pitch about 60 mm long or so and flat washers for each one. Once started on the project take a good look at the flywheel and only thread the bolts in the flywheel far enough to make full thead depth contact. If you thread the bolt in further then needed and you can and if the flywheel turns at all while trying to get it off the extra bolt sticking thru the back of the flywheel can damage the stator.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
A jaw puller won't work. I don't think WestMont was clear on that. You need the type like a steering wheel puller.
The heavier duty puller you have the easier it is to get them off. If it has never been off it may be a whore to get off.
If you have a welder, a drill press and somewhere to get some thick metal and fine thread bolt and nut you can make your own for next to nothing.

You need one like this

SM2010-0757.jpg

Last edited:

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
I've used the 3 jaw type many times and no problems what so ever! The SLP type is probably the safest but which ever one you choose make sure you use the hardest bolts.. I think they're like a grade 10.2.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
Thanks devilrmk. Pictures always help. :beer; The proper tools will make the job a lot easier.

To help prevent damage to the threads on the end of the crankshaft you might want to take the flywheel nut and washer off and then put the nut back on until the nut is flush with the end of the crankshaft then install the puller just in case the flywheel has never been off and you end up using a lot of force to get it off. Once the flywheel is loose then remove the puller, the flywheel nut, and the flywheel. I wouldn't use an impact wrench either.

Last edited:

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
I've used the 3 jaw type many times and no problems what so ever! The SLP type is probably the safest but which ever one you choose make sure you use the hardest bolts.. I think they're like a grade 10.2.

Were you using a jaw puller with the slot in the jaw to grab a hold of the bolts?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I used the standard puller available through Polaris, and a right angle industrial grade impact wrench. Not available in the US of A. I'll part with that beast for $400. I paid $500 and it is the best impact wrench I have ever seen. I also engage at least 5 of the 6 bolt holes as things could get a little messy with 2 or 3. Especially if it is the first time that bad boy has been pulled.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
RMKcowboy I think we might be making it sound harder then it really is or should be. It's not a big deal to get them off using the right tool.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Yea its not really that big of a deal, I Have broken bolts though trying to get them off the first time. It is better as whoisthatguy stated if you can use all 6 bolts then it will come off pretty easy.

I have used an impact driver and also used a hammer to smack the pressure bolt but neither is advised. Supposedly crank damage can occur.

You can heat the flywheel once you get a lot of pressure on it and it will pop off usually. Be careful with the heat though as you can fubar your electronics inside.

Not sure if you ever make it down to Spokane but if you do you can borrow my puller. You could probably bring your bottom end up to that sledhead dude up in Coolin and have him pop it off for you. He is a decent guy to deal with.

Last edited:

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Fubar. I'll have to try and figure out some way to pop that sucker loose.

They can be stubborn but they will come off! As stated above this probably isn't the best for the crank but if you apply quite a bit of pressure to the flywheel with the puller and it won't come off, try tapping lightly around the flywheel with a dead blow hammer. Be careful not to hit the bolts if your using a 3 or 4 jaw puller like ones found at a auto stores.

Premium Features