• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull 7x23 in line aluminum with 1/2 ton or dually?

Rikster

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2012
Hi everyone, looking for some feedback on have you ever pulled enclosed 7x23 in line snowmobile trailer with your 1/2 ton or have you ever pulled similar or larger trailers with your dually? I have a 8.5x25 right now that I pull with a 2500 however I only make 1-2 trips out west a year. Trailer is getting old and needing to upgrade. And our next pickup in line will be a dually. So trying to gauge what is my worst evil, towing with a dually or 1/2 ton. Thanks for your feedback

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I tow my 25' aluminum in line with a f150 3.5 eco crew cab 6.5' bed no problem. Heavier truck is always better when the wind is cranking. Just make sure trailer is as level as you can get it. Also make sure you have sufficient tongue weight. I would love to have a 350 diesel again, but just can't justify it for what I do and how much fuel cost. It's always at least $.60 a gallon more here in Michigan for diesel.

Rikster

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2012
I have both. I also used to have 3500 srw's. I will take my dually every time hands down. Add 2 inch dually spacers to your future dually and a good set of tires and it will be an animal in the winter conditions compared to my old 3500 srw's.
Thanks for the feedback!

Rikster

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2012
I tow my 25' aluminum in line with a f150 3.5 eco crew cab 6.5' bed no problem. Heavier truck is always better when the wind is cranking. Just make sure trailer is as level as you can get it. Also make sure you have sufficient tongue weight. I would love to have a 350 diesel again, but just can't justify it for what I do and how much fuel cost. It's always at least $.60 a gallon more here in Michigan for diesel.
So how are your rpm on the eco boost? We rotate pickups for pulling sometimes and the 3/4 gas seem to downshift a fair amount, trying to gauge if a newer 7x23 will pull that much better than my steel 8.5x25 in a little wind (always is windy in ND!)

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Regular highway driving it will sometimes stay in 10th, but for the most part it will be in 9th using tow haul especially in the wind. Rpms are usually less than 2500. When I drive out to Wyoming I am doing 75 to 80 once I get through Omaha unless the roads are bad. I get around 12 to 13mpg when towing at those speeds.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
My old man's 3.5 Ecoboost blew my mind when we first hauled 4 sleds in an enclosed 1000mi trip out west. It pulled awesome , way better than a 6.2 GM. All about the turbo and the low rpm torque. And this was before the new ten speed trans. Trailer was a 7 or 7.5 legend.
Ecoboost gets my vote for you. Especially if only out west a few times a year. Look for one with the max towing package.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
The F-150 with the twin turbos will pull your trailer, but be prepared to hang on to your ass towing with a half-ton when you get into some nasty crosswinds all to common here in the west!

Premium Features