• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Plush -- MY PRO RMK ELKA SHOCKS INSTALL AND REVIEW (LOTS OF PICS)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
For those of you who are gearing up for late summer or fall upgrades to your ProRMK suspension, consider Elka shocks.

I put a set on my sled in May and got two rides on them.
Their adjustability is VERY easy to manage, but almost limitless.
As the day warmed up and snow conditions changed I was able to adjust my ride for slow speed, high speed and for rebound on all four shocks.

My original thread.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376092&highlight=elka

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I took notes, weighed the shocks and skid for differences.

It seems like Polaris has gone with a mixture of (mostly) metric and (some) SAE in the suspension components.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The rear suspension shock size and weights:

Rear track shock:
stock: 5.2lbs and 16 7/8"
Elka: 6.4lbs and 16 7/8" "

Front track shock:
stock: 2.8lbs and 11 3/4"
Elka: 4.0lbs and 11 3/4

Total skid weight:
stock: 45.6lbs
Elka: 48.0lbs

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Next begins the tear-down of the stock left front end.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Now getting the shocks mocked up.

Front ski shocks:
stock: 3.6lbs and 16.625"
Elka: 5.4lbs and 17.25

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
This is where I get to show off these really nice compression and rebound adjustments.

The red dial on the reservoir has 35 clicks in it's adjustment range for slow speed compression.

The black dial has 20 clicks for high speed compression adjustment.

The little red dial at the bottom of the shock has 50 clicks for rebound adjustment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My first ride report:

Didn't know quite where to go with my settings. I had some advice from Sledheadd, but he's 80lbs heavier than I and his ski shocks are triple rate (mine are dual).

I left ALL spring preloads EXACTLY as they came. No adjustments made to them.

I set ALL FOUR of my reservoirs at 5 clicks for black (high speed compression), 10 for red (low speed compression) and 20 for bottom red (rebound).

For the first 3 miles we had spring road conditions, some chatter, some bomb holes and then a good amount with some VERY windblown sidehill roads. Tough going through that stuff.
The red was too soft. The downhill ski wanted to dive. Clicked it up by 5. Helped a lot. Didn't want to dive downhill hardly at all, but still very easy to roll sled up on edge.

After the first section, we left the road and ran the ridges for a couple miles. SLOW booning around the tree wells. Slow enough that my sled was overheating.
Still VERY deep snow, but the paths between tree wells was getting skinny. LOL
There was still considerable sidehilling on the firm spring snow. The slow speed compression (RED dial) seemed to be really close to dialed.
Was able to carve and move around as needed in tight trees and wide wells.

I REALLY like being able to hop off, turn the dial a couple clicks and see an instant result in handling.

A few clicks either way on the red dial results in a noticeable change in handling at slow speeds.

After we got over the gas drop hill we got into the REALLY cupped out rain-channeled snow. Those rain channels were running 4-8" deep and even up to a foot deep in the low spots between gullys.
Running crossways across those rain channels was FUN for testing.

We found a meadow area top a ridge and did some testing there. I'd go across slow speed (10-20mph) and fast speed (30-50mph) a few times. The faster I went, the less I felt coming through the handle-bars into my hands.

A couple clicks up and down, testing each time, took NO TIME AT ALL to dial in the best ride through that REALLY rough chatter.
The rear skid is holding about 1" of sag. I have always had mine set up a bit firm in the past, but it was quite PLUSH on this ride and yet it never bottomed out. It felt really good.

I hopped onto a 2014 M8000 with Float 3s. It's set up for a 240lb guy.
We traded back and forth a couple times during this meadow testing. Noticeable difference between, although not comparing apples to apples here.
When we got the Elka shocks set up for me and my weight on that cupped and channeled out snow, BOTH OF US liked my ride better by far.
Like I said, when he rode my set-up for me, he liked my set up for me, even though he's a 100 pounds heavier than I am.

Climbing through old rough melted out slide debris was fun and VERY smooth. I didn't have to adjust my front skis, but I did firm up the track shocks a couple clicks.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Ride report #2 (LATE June and REALLY cupped out snow)

75° and bluebird skies.
The snow was HARD and REALLY cupped out.
There was no carving and playing to speak of.

The rain channels at the bottoms of the hills were often 24" deep. Coming down off a climb was QUITE nasty if you hit them at the wrong angle. I haven't seen rain channels like this before. We had some HUGE rainstorms in the last couple weeks. A couple places in W. Mont got up to 7" of rain in 72 hours.

The Elkas were QUITE nice and SO easy to adjust to the conditions.
So much of the chatter and the big hits in the rain channels weren't coming through to the handlebars.

On the way out, we had a couple miles of really drifted over road that was sidehill riding only. I couldn't one-ski this one. Too far and too long.

You know the scene...you guys have all been there in the mountains on these drifted over roads with the the occastional (or frequent) 2 foot wide strip of gravel on the shoulder of the road (not wide enough to ride on and the hill always tries to suck you back down onto it). The shoulder might be bare, but the snow is 6 feet deep on the other side up against the bank. It's steep sidehilling and it sucks.

I knew I couldn't one-ski this for the 4 miles. I'd be keeping both skis on the snow so it was going to be very tiresome, tough...and annoying at times. After a while I got smart and lightened up the red clicker a few clicks (slow speed compression) on the right ski and it was much easier to navigate this drifted road...while I kept the uphill ski loaded with pressure. It never came off the snow after that and I was able to ride 5-10mph faster through this stuff.

THAT little adjustment made it far easier to hold my line without the sled creeping downhill into the trees (or the 2 foot wide gravel strip onf shoulder to the road that might be visible at times). I could actually steer back uphill when I needed to.

This made the last 3 to 4 miles of the road ride back out SO much easier to do. Buddy on his stock 13 Pro and the other on the stock 14 Cat had to stop twice and shake their arms out to give them a break. I also saw where those in front of me WOULD creep down on to that skinny shoulder strip...and had to get off and throw the back of the sled out so they could point back up hill onto the snow.
Not I. I didn't need a break.

I am so happy with these shocks. The adjustability on them is EXTREMELY user-friendly with a SHORT learning curve.

attachment.php

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The ruts/rain channels were deeeeep. And hard as a rock but these shocks took out a huge part of the hit.
My buddy with a 13 Pro and stock shocks really like my set-up.
Buddy with the 14 Proclimb REALLY liked my set-up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

compressedIMG_5762.jpg compressedIMG_5779.jpg compressedIMG_5780.jpg compressedIMG_5781.jpg compressedIMG_5782.jpg compressedIMG_5783.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm jealous of the urinal in your shop!

Did you find in late june near missoula or did you travel?

Didn't have to travel very far at all.

The urinal is great. Every garage/shop should have one.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Scott.... How many miles do you think you've had on them?

Have you played around with pre-load adjustments that much?

What are your current settings on the shocks? (compression-Hi, Comp-Low, Rebound, pre-load on springs)

What width Z-broz arms do you have and were you able to retain stock ride height in your opinion?

Nice looking ride... keep us in the loop !!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott.... How many miles do you think you've had on them?

Have you played around with pre-load adjustments that much?

What are your current settings on the shocks? (compression-Hi, Comp-Low, Rebound, pre-load on springs)

What width Z-broz arms do you have and were you able to retain stock ride height in your opinion?

Nice looking ride... keep us in the loop !!

I think I only have about 800-1000 miles on these shocks now due to two low snow seasons. I'll have to check my notes.

I have played with preload just a little. It was pretty close to where I liked it from the beginning. I may lighten the preload some this season, but I'll decided after I have a couple rides in.

My current settings are still left over from my last spring ride in April of 16. I'll check my notes and dial settings and report what those were.
I left things set a bit more firm, and will be doing a settings check and re-tune for this season before my first ride (which may still be a couple weeks).

I discovered if the rebound was too still that things would pogo too much in the cold hard morning conditions.
I could have waited for the warm sun to fix that. BUT instead, it just to a few clicks of that lower rebound dial to fix that as well, right on the spot. :)

And on those spring days, we have a pretty ugly windblown road that we must sidehill for a couple miles to get back out to the trailhead. If I soften the slow speed dampening and soften the rebound a couple more clicks, it makes sidehilling a breeze on that hard crusty wind-blown road. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find the sweet-spot, but luckily the sled will tell me within seconds if that's right for me or not.

Couple with these shocks and the geometry of these high clearance Zbroz arms, do give another 1/2" or so of belly pan clearance. I loosened my limiter strap slightly to counteract that front lift that sagged the rear skid back just a little bit.

I'm sorry for the lack of hard numbers on the settings. Stay tuned, I'll have those for you soon.

Last edited:
Premium Features