• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Product Review: Oakley Prizm Goggles (Revolutionary FLAT Light Lenses??)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Recently there has been a monster thread running on the topic of LOW LIGHT LENSES.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3759834

In the course of that thread the new Oakley PRIZM lens surfaced as the latest and greatest technology in helping the human eye to see more definition in FLAT LIGHT riding. As a result of many other SnoWest member comments I opted to make a retail purchase of a set of these goggles and write up the following review.

Note.
Oakely is not a sponsor or advertiser on SnoWest.
Oakley did not solicit this review.
I paid full retail for these goggles..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Lets start with the marketing hype coming out of Oakley on the new PRIZM goggles.

This is absolutely what most of our days in Island Park look like.
FLAT HORRIBLE LIGHT
picture.php

And this is what Oakley SAYS their new Prizm technology can do!
Nothing short of Amazing.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.oakley.com/en/prizm/snow

Prizm Goggle Overview
See clearly, react faster and ride with confidence

Prizm™ is a revolutionary lens technology that dramatically enhances contrast and visibility over a wide range of light conditions.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_sT8AYTCyWo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

Prizm™Black Iridium

Bright Sun
render-black.png

Prizm™Jade Iridium

Sun and Clouds
render-jade.png

Prizm™Rose
Oakley recomended for use in Snow and Overcast

render-rose.png

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Prizm Goggle Technology

The science behind Prizm™

Prizm™ is a revolution in snow lens optics built on decades of color science research. Prizm™ lenses provide unprecedented control of light transmission resulting in colors precisely tuned to maximize contrast and enhance visibility.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E6ekyHArIcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The goggles I selected for this review are the

OAKLEY PRIZM AIRBRAKE with Rose Lens
http://www.oakley.com/en/womens/gog...oggle-prizm&merchandisedName=PRIZM™ Airbrake™

PRIZM® Airbrake™ Snow

Introducing Oakley Airbrake™, a performance snow goggle with an interchangeable lens design that helps you adapt to the environment and enjoy the best vision possible. Oakley Switchlock™ Technology makes lens changing fast and easy, and two lens colors are included with each goggle so you'll be ready for a range of conditions right from the get-go. Additional lens options are available, so no matter what the mountain has in mind, you'll be able to keep up with changing light conditions and maximize both performance and safety.

A mountain can throw down more weather conditions than any other environment. From sunlight glaring off glacial ice to socked-in blizzards and mud-thick fog, the variance is extreme, and no single lens tint can provide optimal performance for every environment. The Oakley Airbrake snow goggle has an interchangeable lens design that lets you adapt to any light condition and match your vision to the environment, and it utilizes Switchlock Technology to make lens changing quick and easy.

Interchangeable lens designs are nothing new for goggles but conventional technology puts you at a disadvantage. Impact protection can be compromised. Uneven pressure can distort the lens shape, altering the optical properties and corrupting your vision. Changing the lens can be a real pain. Oakley solved all these problems with Switchlock Technology.
Switchlock Technology offers the most elegant and simple solution, and it does so while maximizing impact protection, eliminating visual distortion and giving you a fast and easy way to swap out the lens. Just rotate the lever of the locking mechanism. The mounted lens is released and the goggle is ready for whatever alternate lens you need. Your vision will be razor sharp and accurate, and you’ll have protection that meets the gold standard: ANSI Z87.1 rated impact resistance.

Airbrake is optimized to fit medium to large faces, and the architecture offers all-day comfort. We crafted the durable yet lightweight frame with a rigid front and a flexible chassis, so the front eliminates pressure in the nasal area and maximizes airflow while the O Matter® chassis adapts for a perfect fit. Strap outriggers ensure pressure is distributed evenly, and we engineered them to work with or without a helmet. Along the facial contact area, this goggle has a triple layer of polar fleece foam that balances pressure and wicks away moisture.

Our pure Plutonite® lens material filters out 100% of all UV. To fight fog, we matched F3 anti-fog technology with a dual lens design: one lens on top of another with a thermal barrier between them. Two lens colors are included with the goggle so you’ll be ready for a full spectrum of conditions. We created a full array of optional lenses so you can arm yourself with innovation and be ready for whatever the hill throws down.

FRAMES:

• Optimized to fit medium to large faces
  • Rigid Front Frame with Flexible O-Matter® Rear chassis
  • Rigid Frame support to minimize optical distortion, eliminate nasal pressure and maximize airflow
  • All day comfort of moisture wicking triple-layer polar fleece foam
  • Balanced fit (with or without helmet) via Fixed O-Matter
  • Interchangeable Strap Outriggers
LENS:

• Switchlock™ Technology for the quickest and easiest lens change for any light condition
  • Comes standard with two lens tints and case
  • Fog elimination of dual vented lenses with F3 Anti-fog technology
  • Tuned light transmission of Iridium® lens coating (optional)
  • UV protection of Plutonite&reg lens that filters out 100% of UVA/ UVB/ UVC & harmful blue light up to 400nm

INTEGRATED TECHNOLOGIES

Prizm™

Prizm™ is a revolution in lens optics built on decades of color science research. Prizm™ lenses provide unprecedented control of light transmission resulting in colors precisely tuned to maximize contrast and enhance visibility.

Iridium®

Designed to balance light transmission and reduce glare, this premium lens coating is made with superheated metal oxides. It is available in a spectrum of colors for optimizing vision in virtually any light condition.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Product Review: Oakley Prizm Goggles (Revolutionary Low Light Lenses??)

Testing was done with a KLIM F4 helmet

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419290954.353182.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419290996.853499.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419291008.971974.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419291039.169973.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
First thing that had to be done when the goggles arrived was to swap out the dark lenses for the rose.

I have to say, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, I have never encountered an easier goggle to changes lenses with. I suspect I could do this with my gloves on !

This is absolutely the best simplest fastest lens change I have ever seen.

Lift the lever, pop the lens, swap it out, snap the new one in, lower the lever locking it back into place.
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS DESIGN!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292044.120833.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292056.453311.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292066.552779.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292077.553985.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292087.136675.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292096.720110.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292105.620232.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
PRODUCT USE REVIEW

The day I spent riding was a CLASSIC Island Park overcast day.
Low clouds, snowing, gentle breeze all day long.
Absolutely FLAT light that varied from bright to dim to dark over the course of the day. Should have been IDEAL testing conditions, and very normal winter riding for me.

I was comparing these goggles to my KLIM Radius Goggles with Rose Lens.
This is the normal goggle I ride with in these conditions.
So right off the bat please know that I have a strong preference for ROSE colored lenses in FLAT light conditions. I thought this would be a good head to head comparison.

7001-000-000-700-R.jpg

2 of my riding companions were wearing YELLOW lenses, and one was wearing a CLEAR lens.

Putting the googles on in the parking lot for the first time I did not see anything remarkably different between the Oakley and the KLIM. For the most part the view "appeared" to be pretty darn similar.

First thing I did notice about these goggles is that they flow MORE air.
I would guess that they are a Alpine Skiing design with a lower density foam that allows more air to pass through them. My first thought was that my face was "Cold" in areas I was not used to. As the day wore on and the riding became increasingly physical this ceased to be an issue. In fact getting MORE AIR into the goggle was a good thing as body temperature went up and sweating increased.

An odd thing I noticed was that I could FOG the OUTSIDE of the goggles.
Don't think I have ever encountered this before, and I am NOT sure of why this was happening. At first I thought I was fogging the inside of the goggles with each breath. The fog would appear and then vanish with each exhalation. But when I touched the goggle to adjust it I realized that the fogging was on the outside of the lens! It could be the Size, the Shape, the location in my helmet, that allowed some of my breath to pass over the outside lower corner of the goggle and condense. It was never an issue or a problem, but it was "odd".

After riding a couple of miles from the parking lot we stopped and I asked each of the members of the group to switch between the OAKLEY and the KLIM while looking out over a large field and comment on any differences they saw in terrain resolution.

Again, I could see no substantial difference between the goggles.
The two riders wearing Yellow Lenses saw a major change just going from yellow to pink, but not from one pink to the other. Similar comments from the rider wearing glasses with a clear Over the Glasses goggle on.

We rode up the mountain into the clouds and fog and snow.

The goggles continued to be cold and I could always feel more air flowing across my face when riding at speed. When playing in the trees it was a NON-ISSUE, only noticed it at speed.

Rode and played on trail, meadows, trees, creek bottoms, ect. Lots of varied terrain and transitions from bright to dim lighting conditions, but more or less always under overcast skies.

9146146ec47ed5d8a46afb4edc7da803.jpg

7dd320b82b7f57a822fb2d9a2303a5dc.jpg

efbc0e5c70f61aaee768a8a996c7bf04.jpg

da7b5db31ad04e41d4c6b6f8f33ba341.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After a full day of riding and having had the Oakley Goggles on for 4+ hours straignt we came back down off the mountain and arrived in the samle large open field where we had begun. I once again invited each of the riders to swap out the goggles and offer comments.

This time something changed.
All 4 of us noticed something we had NOT seen previously.

When going from the Oakley to the KLIM we saw a "sharpness" factor that none of us noticed before. It wasn't a matter of being able to see the snow more clearly, or the terrain better, but rather how sharp the image looked. It was an issue of distortion from the lens itself.

This is really hard to quantify in words.
But the KLIM goggles were "crisper" after having worn the Oakley's all day long.
I will get each of the other riders to jump in here and post their personal comments as well in their own words rather than mine.

At the end of the day, for ME, I did NOT see the huge difference in snow resolution that Oakley was advertising. Rather I found the goggles to be perfectly interchangeable with my KLIM goggles.

But I do NOT want to pass final judgement on them until I have had at least another full day or two of riding to be absolutely certain.

These are VERY EXPENSIVE goggles!!
They work fine and were pleasant to ride with. I would have no particular hesitation to ride with them at all.
But for the cost I did not see the advertised over all increase in ability to see more subtle variations in the snow that the PRIZM marketing was promoting.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You and me both!
But, I am NOT ready to throw in the towel on these goggles just yet.
I will ride with them again on Friday and Saturday and get a little more seat time with them before I pass final judgement.

Premium Features