• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proclimb Mods in the Alpha One Era

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Guys like you, I have an Arctic Cat Proclimb that I think runs and works quite well. That was until the Alpha One came along and changed everything! I have added quite a few mods to keep my sled competitive over the years (3" Powerclaw, SLP single pipe, MDS weights, TKI Mountain Cat belt drive, Skinny Boards, etc). Now there is a complete Alpha One kit with the rail and track for $3,000 (if you have a 2017 Mountain Cat or equivalent). There are elevate kits for $2,000. In some cases, these kits require new shocks, for an additional cost. Yes, it would be cheaper than buying a new sled and it would push off the cost of buying a new sled into the future but, when does one determine it's time to stop doing mods on our Proclimbs and move on up to something newer? It may depend on your riding group and how competitive they are, or how new the sleds they are driving, the terrain you routinely get into but, in the end I think it boils down to how thick is your wallet. Your thoughts?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
In your case I would say there's no end. I would have drawn the line before you with the dropped case but you punched that out. might as well keep going. The beauty of these is its the same bulkhead as the new ones right so everything can be swapped. newer plastics, even the Ctec motor if you want to someday. I saw BDX selling them complete for like 3 g.
It comes down to how much time you have to work on it, most people don't have that kind of free time so then doesnt make sense imo.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I kept my 2019 mountain cat and pick up a 2020 best of both worlds. I also try to sell them now with 2500 or less miles as my 2016 had almost 4k and was a hard sell.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Guys like you, I have an Arctic Cat Proclimb that I think runs and works quite well. That was until the Alpha One came along and changed everything! I have added quite a few mods to keep my sled competitive over the years (3" Powerclaw, SLP single pipe, MDS weights, TKI Mountain Cat belt drive, Skinny Boards, etc). Now there is a complete Alpha One kit with the rail and track for $3,000 (if you have a 2017 Mountain Cat or equivalent). There are elevate kits for $2,000. In some cases, these kits require new shocks, for an additional cost. Yes, it would be cheaper than buying a new sled and it would push off the cost of buying a new sled into the future but, when does one determine it's time to stop doing mods on our Proclimbs and move on up to something newer? It may depend on your riding group and how competitive they are, or how new the sleds they are driving, the terrain you routinely get into but, in the end I think it boils down to how thick is your wallet. Your thoughts?
Great question as that situation happens all the time with sleds, cars, trucks etc. It’s cool to see how other people handle it.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I kept my 2019 mountain cat and pick up a 2020 best of both worlds. I also try to sell them now with 2500 or less miles as my 2016 had almost 4k and was a hard sell.
I always get the mod bug but after learning the hard way once or twice I try to turn my machines over more often with lower miles to help with resale. I put them back to stock or close to it and sell the aftermarket stuff separately which helps a lot too. I aim for $2-3k per season in depreciation.

That said I love my Alpha so far and my son just started riding so I may keep it longer if I'm riding less to take him out more and will be spending on upgrading his sled Kitty cat > Z120 > Zr200

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
It would seem that yearly mileage is a big factor in trading every year or two vs keeping the existing sled and adding update mods. I don't get alot of seasonal miles on my sleds that are kept in an enclosed trailer. I love to get out and ride, however work, flat light days, lack of a riding buddy, etc often keep me from riding. I still have a '10 M8 LTD 153 with ~1200 miles, an '11 Crossfire 141 ~1200 miles, and a '17 Mountain Cat 153 ~150 miles. The sleds depreciate to the point that they are worth more to me than market value, so I tend to upgrade them in terms of shocks, suspension, skis, can, clutching, tracks & bags. Obviously then I just keep them; it's nice to choose my ride for the existing snow conditions, have a back-up sled or just take a friend. That is why I ordered an IceAge Elevate kit ($1,800) to put on my Mountain Cat dual rail 153. The reviews for it are very positive for the dual rails & I feel that the mod is a good choice for this low mileage sled. At my riding ability, I think that it will be a worthwhile upgrade as opposed to buying a new Alpha for the 6-8k difference.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great replies guys! I especially can relate to MountainCat1. I ride the mountains as well and don't have a lot of miles on my sled. I too keep mine in my enclosed trailer and don't really have a designated riding buddy. I am still working and most of the best riding days I am at work. That being said, I like to keep my sled up to date as possible. In 2016 it was an upgrade to a 36" ski stance and Gripper skis. In 2017 it was the Mountain Cat dropped drive shaft and belt drive. In 2018 it was thinner running boards and tucking in the plastics to match. The next thing would be to upgrade the clutches or do an elevate kit and maybe go to Alpha 10# rear idlers. I plan to try to ride an Alpha this winter to see if it's for me. If not, I may just do the elevate kit later this winter. Although, while I am still working buying a newer sled and stopping all mods on my 2015 seems reasonable as well. I see 2017 and 2018 Skidoos and Polaris's for $8,000 with 300 miles on them. Buying a new one doesn't seem like the best idea. Maybe I should stop all mods and wait to buy a used 2020 Alpha for $9,000 at the end of next season?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I have an Alpha and i think i would be content with an elevated twin rail mtn cat.

Sent it
Interesting & valuable comment; I believe posters CO2.0 & Racin' Station both stated the gains with the Elevate kit on the twin rail were greater than on the Alpha. I value experienced reviews; Do you care to elaborate?

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The Alpha is a more capable sled than the twin rail mtn cat. My 165 won't pull wheelies like all of my cats from 2009-2018 did....
twin rail cats are so easy to park on a sidehill, Stop and go while others struggle. The Alpha doesn't park as well and when the snow isn't deep..... azz end slides down real fast with just a blip of the throttle..... now, when the back drops, all u have to do is center ur weight on the sled and hit the throttle and she is going straight up the hill! Traction is unreal.
I have a twin rail skid waiting to go inside the Alpha track... just gotta commit to cutting windows and clipping. I want the option of switching back and forth with just 4 bolts for the whole skid.

Don't get me wrong, i love the Alpha.
I Just like the twin rail in firmer snow when sidehilling. Keep the speed up and the Alpha isn't near as bad.

Sent it

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have an alpha and 14m925 -vipec-nitrous, dropped with belt drive with 3 inch PC,skinny boards, lightweight everywhere and the list goes on, maneuverability I think they both handle great, traction goes to the alpha, skid is always clean, really shines in wet snow compared to twin rail, I'm really impressed by the 800 ctec, power delivery along with clutching is so smooth, compared to my 14 I feel like this is what makes my 14 feel "old". I dont understand why everyone thinks they need a 850 or 900...this 800 has no issues staying in front!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great info Summ8RMK and F7arcticcat! You have me thinking that adding an $1,800 elevate kit to a 2015 sled doesn't sound like the best of ideas (at least for me). My clutching is still 2015 and it too could be updated to Team clutches for $1,200. Maybe I will just do the Alpha One 10" rear idlers with an offset axle for this season and start to save for a used 2020 Alpha in 2021?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Our kits works super well with the 2015 and Alphas just a fyi

Cheers

Allan

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Maybe I will just do the Alpha One 10" rear idlers with an offset axle for this season and start to save for a used 2020 Alpha in 2021?

Do you have the 162 and wish it was a little shorter sometimes like me? thats the only reason I was thinking 10" wheels. otherwise nothing to gain there. Was looking at my driveshaft last night, dang thats a big hunk of steel. gonna do '18 shafts and a bdx rotor next fall if I still have mine.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've done nearly everything I can with my proclimb to where I am riding an ascender with a big bore zuke engine and the old plastics tucked in. I've got it setup now to where I like it and spent the last two pre-seasons going through it from the ground up. The engine has 2400 miles on it, but every other major mechanical or moving part of the sled has 600 or less miles. I might see if I can sell off enough parts I have laying around to pay for a set of Elevate spindles to better match my high-riding Kmod skid, but other than that I'm going to ride it this season and put some pistons in before next. I'm already into it for way more than I could ever hope to recover so I might as well enjoy it. Seeing no new chassis coming for 2021 makes me even more OK with it. Plus I bought a newer truck that I needed way more than a new sled at this point so that's got the finances a little tied up anyway.

That being said, I did go through and make an entire build sheet for a new Alpha just for fun! I can tell you exactly what it takes to build a 400lb dry Alpha and the associated $$$ lol. The fact I'm dreaming about building the next sled kinda told me to stop spending on this one.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Pretty limited mods since I bought the last of the breed with most of the Ascender improvements but the ole reliable zuk! I have a BDX stainless can on it and this year, not an Alpha mod but more of a Doo Expert mod, the stubby tailflap LOLIMG_1791.jpgIMG_1792.jpg

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
There is a gerneral rule that i like to follow, sell your sled before it hits 2500 miles or every 2/3 years. That way you retain some of its value!! I would stop spending once plateform has been proven then switch. BC as much as the zuki motor can rip it still does not hold a stick to the ctech 2 engine. The newer powerplant works so much better as a complete package! Im stuck with my old 15 and have been debating on the alpha skid for deep days and switching to a 141 for spring sesh

Premium Features