• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proclimb - Balance ring primary clutch

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
I have removed my e-start with everything that belongs to it.
Have removed the big gear ring on the primary clutch and I wonder if I need to add the balance ring to compensate for removing the big gear ring?

I can`t see one on country cat page on OEM parts list for the 2013 M800 sno pro model, so I have no idea if I need something like that.
Since I removed some weight of the clutch, i`m little scared it will mess something up

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I've got a 2010 and figure if the factory thought it was that important to have one (since it added weight and wasn't free) then I better transfer that ring to my new cat clutch.

Lots of guys run without them and swear that it works well without.

I know you only have the toothed gear and I don't think the ring is available separately (for whatever reason). If the toothed gear isn't too much larger, I'd just keep it on the clutch.

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
Can`t put it back on since I have given my e-start kit away too a friend :p

I do know that some people remove the ring or what ever it is to gain more bottom end and a more responsive clutch.
But in the long term some says that it can hurt the crank because of the lack of weight on the crank

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I know its not the same sled but I have put well over 2000 miles on my m7 without the ring with no negative affects. And yes, the m7 did have the ring from the factory. I just never swapped it over when I installed the second and as of end of last season 3rd primary.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
From what I understand there are some ****ty harmonica in the 8-8200 range
If your modded and you spin over 8200 consistently then you should be ok
If it's stock I would replace it
And yes it is available for purchase
Be sure to use green loctite on the bolts
I believe it's loctite 620
I know there are people that would disagree with me but they didn't put it on there for fun
It does serve a purpose

Tee-Kay

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I think the part number that you are looking for is 0645-410. But before you go and buy it please consider the following.

If this part is used to dampen out harmonics on an engine then why does this ring fit the following engines...570 fan cooled, 800 upright, 900 upright, 600 laydown, 700 laydown, 800 and 800HO laydown engines. That is a lot of different applications running at different speeds with very different clutching yet it is always the same ring. I cannot give Cat credit for creating the perfect harmonic dampener (especially since it is solid metal with no viscous fluid) for all of these engines considering the many issues they have with their drivetrains.

If it is a weight thing for balance then how are the guys running the P-85 conversion making out? If you remove the ring and bolts from a Cat clutch and compare it to the weight of the P-85 they are actually getting quite close.

I do not run the ring on my sleds and have not had any primary clutch issues with them...this includes a 900 1M running a Mad Max 999 kit for over 2000 miles, a M7 stock for over 1500 miles, a M7 setup as a 700 then ET-900 big bore then RKT 800 big bore for 3000 miles and now my current 2011 M8 HO with 1000 miles.

That is my $0.02.

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
I know people remove them go get more response out of the sled. It`s kinda cheap tune up to get a lighter clutch and more response out of the drive line.
Have heard about people riding without it for several seasons with no problems, and some other say mount it before something is going wrong.

So I am really unsure what to do. My dealer is going to see if they have it in stock, and they are not sure either if I even need one.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
For what its worth my m7 lost the first clutch around 1800 miles replacement clutch had no ring and now the sled has around 4500 miles on all original internals. Never even replaced the top end and she's tuned to run at 8100 rpm. Also ride with 2 other m7s that have been running without the ring for nearly the same amount of miles. I would think if it was that important for keeping the engine together that at least one of us would have had a problem by now.

M
Oct 23, 2013
IF installing an electric start kit on a m8000 2017 snopro
and the ring gear goes onto the primary does the primary need rebalancing?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
maybe its a safety ring. adds strength, keeps it together if something cracks...

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
when I transferred my steel ring from the old clutch to the new, I would have had it rebalanced if it would have been convenient to do so, but as it was, I didnt know who might be able to do it locally and since I didnt want to ship it out I didnt balance it and I dont think it really needs it. the oem clutch took a dump the first year and the clutch ring has been transferred 2 times to each successive new clutch. This is on a 2010 M8 with 4500 or so miles.

Now, if I had a scale which measured grams, I would check the rings static balance (if that is what it is called) by supporting the outside edge at 2 points, then the 3rd point would be the scale. Then rotate a number of time to see it the reading changes.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
when I transferred my steel ring from the old clutch to the new, I would have had it rebalanced if it would have been convenient to do so, but as it was, I didnt know who might be able to do it locally and since I didnt want to ship it out I didnt balance it and I dont think it really needs it. the oem clutch took a dump the first year and the clutch ring has been transferred 2 times to each successive new clutch. This is on a 2010 M8 with 4500 or so miles.

Now, if I had a scale which measured grams, I would check the rings static balance (if that is what it is called) by supporting the outside edge at 2 points, then the 3rd point would be the scale. Then rotate a number of time to see it the reading changes.
that is not near accurate enough to determine if a clutch is balanced or not

Premium Features