• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

problems with 03 600 rmk

S

sledgreg

Aug 27, 2008
Chilliwack
www.sleddicted.com
so just had the sled serviced before first ride.... got it on the trail to get to where we usualy play, and wifes sled died. couldnt pull the starter rope so we thought it was seized.

go it home took belt off rotated clutch and what and I was able to pull the starter rope......

ripped appart the top half and one piston on the top has the look of 30 grit sand paper.... and looking further down to where the connecting rod connects to the crank it is all loose, where as the other piston is just a little black, but the connecting rod looks and feels normal to where it attaches to the crank.... im thinking heat caused the problem.

what are my steps from here.... We were looking to sell the sled, and get a newer one for my wife. The dealer the week before was gonna give us 3000, wish I would have done that then, but we werent quite ready

Someone told me that the crank is one whole unit and that the rods are pressed onto the crank, so in order to fix I would have to replace crank, and prehaps whole bottom end...

any ideas
Thanks

im

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City

Was it the clutch side? Sounds like the bearing cage came apart and went through the top end. When this happens all the balls pile up in the bottom and lock up the crank. After it stops, you can work them loose because the balls rearrange and let it turn.
Crank is indeed a pressed together assembly but totally rebuildable. Motor has to be totally disassembled and the crank case split apart to get the crank out. New crank is now $951.00 from Polaris and I know you can get it rebuilt at SLP for less than that.
I am inclined to this it was a oiling problem. If the chassis is in good shape then fix it. If not then maybe it's time to cut your losses. Chassis is worth 1k to 1500.00 depending on track and condition.
Sorry about the bad news.

Premium Features