• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro RMK doesnt build full RPM but will slowly creep up

T
Jan 13, 2013
So my 2013 Pro RMK is my old sled that I kept for my girlfriend to ride, I hopped on the other day and realized the sled is low on RPM but will slowly creep up if you hold it wide open for long enough. Primary clutch is rebuilt, has a new primary spring, and new exhaust valve springs, and the valves have been cleaned. Whats next to look at? I didnt notice exactly what RPM it was making, probably around 7000.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
Belt could be narrow, or the secondary has issues. Could be helix, buttons, spring, or a combination. I am assuming the primary got new weights and rollers. Make sure the correct weight weights were put in for your altitude. Another thought. If the sled has been stored all summer check to see if rodents have used your exhaust for storage or made a nest in it.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
RPM of 7000? Should be more like 8150 or 8200 at WOT. Clutch issues, I'm thinking. Broken or warn parts, something sticking, etc.. Verify primary work was done correctly, what about the secondary ? If the exhaust valves are opening correcty ...... ? .....Next is clutching. IMO

T
Jan 13, 2013
The primary clutch is a newly rebuilt clutch as the issue was before the new primary clutch too. Its been happening for a while now so not bad gas. The exhaust valves have new springs inside and are moving freely. Im thinking secondary clutch issues, unless theres another part of the exhaust valves that im missing that might be the issue.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I don't think it was common on the pro ride but the actuator cable breaks on the axys.

with the EV off you can move the actuator and see if it controls l the EV

it could be a bad actuator too although not common.

Alpine Xtreme Edge

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2017
Oregon
I don't think it was common on the pro ride but the actuator cable breaks on the axys.

with the EV off you can move the actuator and see if it controls l the EV

it could be a bad actuator too although not common.
The pro-ride chassis doesn't have an actuator with cables connecting to exhaust valves, instead they work off exhaust pressure with a solenoid that bleeds pressure until a specific rpm that the ecu tells the solenoid to close, thus letting the pressure open the valve fully.

The tiny pin hole port above the valve in cylinder must be clear of obstruction for that function to operate correctly.

You do make an excellent point for and relating to axys chassis motors regarding the actuator/cable breaking issue.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
The pro-ride chassis doesn't have an actuator with cables connecting to exhaust valves, instead they work off exhaust pressure with a solenoid that bleeds pressure until a specific rpm that the ecu tells the solenoid to close, thus letting the pressure open the valve fully.

The tiny pin hole port above the valve in cylinder must be clear of obstruction for that function to operate correctly.

You do make an excellent point for and relating to axys chassis motors regarding the actuator/cable breaking issue.
oh crap totally forgot about that lol and I had a pro ride

T
Jan 13, 2013
Tested the sled out after doing a good clean of the exhaust valves and it hits 8050rpm but it seems to hit 7300iah fast and then the last bit has a slight delay. Im not sure if im just used to my last two sleds (17 axys turbo & and 19 alpha) or if this thing is low on power. Just seems gutless to me the way it is. But the new alpha and my old axys turbo are both pretty impressive sleds so I may just be comparing to the wrong sleds... The 13 pro is bone stock even has the stock can and all stock clutching.

VHOK

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2002
Helena, Montana
Test the resistance of your spark plug caps, suspect high resistance. This creates a weak spark potential and poor burn. I think the resistance Value is 5K ohms but need to verify that in service manual. I replace both spark plugs and caps as part of preseason maintenance.

P

prairieguy

Nov 26, 2007
Have u done compression test? I just went through this and was low on compression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
My money is on the secondary.
Keep up the Snowest updates. We should start a betting system on Snowest. When someone has a sled issue, we could lay odds.

Premium Features