• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Prized Cascade forestland about size of Tacoma to be preserved

U
Sep 12, 2010
Perhaps we should ask our skiing friends for a good word here. This purchase has a lot of nice snowmobile country, but not a lot of stuff that people ski.

I can't imagine the TAY crowd want US locked out of the plum creek land and crowding their lines?

C
Oct 17, 2012
Ronald, WA
The liberals, envirotards, and fascists won't be satisfied until our sport is finished. Doesn't matter if they don't use an area, they don't want us around period. These are the same people who sued to have some sand dunes in the middle of nowhere Nevada closed to ORV's because there was a chance a ****ing butterfly was threatened.

As a sledder, if these new owners so choose, they can put a gate at the new Woods and Steele snowpark. And at The Last Resort, the loop and Roslyn ridge trail could be easily shut down. It's not big mountain riding but it's fun, family oriented trails. It's why a lot of people have cabins in the area.

The Nature Conservancy talks about working with the local community on management. We will see if they are talking about the community of Ronald, Roslyn, and Cle Elum or if the wishes of the Seattle REI crowd will win out. If it's anything like what has happened to local ORV users in the Teanaway Community Forest planning committee, we are screwed.

articcat1200

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2012
90 acres for sale gold creek

there is 90 acres for sale right in the middle I think just below the tower at gold creek. 450000.00. We should pool and start buying it our selves.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I read all through their self riteous website. I found their contributing partners. Government, EPA and I quit reading at that point. I get it!
I'll say it again, the local communities, individuals and business owners are going to need to get together on this and start squawking. Then pull in the "real" crowds that spend large dollars there all year recreating.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
The liberals, envirotards, and fascists won't be satisfied until our sport is finished. Doesn't matter if they don't use an area, they don't want us around period. These are the same people who sued to have some sand dunes in the middle of nowhere Nevada closed to ORV's because there was a chance a ****ing butterfly was threatened.

We have read the tea leaves and although we give every year $$$ to the Blue Ribbon Coalition we are spending money on what we can do.... dual sport motorcycles... so the coming of winter used to be exciting for us... it is also a downer as the bikes and racing toys are stuck in the shop. Yes we still have snowmobiles, still enjoy snowmobiling, but it is no longer a priority

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
This is terrible. There are so many businesses in the area that depend on this land for recreation. Hugely impactful for so many people. I am sure there is something being done, or a place to get our voices heard. Anyone know where or how?

Tampico

Premium Member
Aug 20, 2008
Tampico, WA
PCL to TNC land purchase

@mrquick68 "This is terrible. There are so many businesses in the area that depend on this land for recreation. Hugely impactful for so many people. I am sure there is something being done, or a place to get our voices heard. Anyone know where or how? " One of the options to get our voice heard would be to join WSSA (sadly SAWS is gone) and the Blue Ribbon Coalition. They are already making contacts and I have heard that a TNC rep was at the new sno-park grand opening.

On another topic concerning the Teanaway DNR purchase, in Yakima county the DNR is way easier to work with than the USFS/Naches RD on motorized recreational issues.

Tampico

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Why is that?
A different crowd to deal with?Ive experienced the attitude/arrogance more that a couple times.

O

outlaw707

Jan 24, 2014
Here is a copy of a email i was forwarded earlier:
Greetings WSSA!

Many of you are aware of the recent purchase of 48,000 acres of land along the I-90 Corridor by The Nature Conservancy from Plum Creek Timber Co. These lands encompass hundreds of miles of snowmobile trails and off-trail play areas.

While this news may put most snowmobilers on edge, it is important for us to remain calm and focus on building a partnership with the Conservancy, with the goal being able to maintain our access to these areas. WSSA, the State Parks Winter Recreation Program, and local clubs have already been in contact with representatives from the Conservancy. (A representative from the Conservancy attended the grand opening of the Evergreen Sno-Park last weekend.) The Conservancy's stated goal is to work with stakeholders (land users/user groups) to develop a land management strategy to protect/enhance ecological values while trying to maintain public access. Snowmobilers need to work with the new land owner to attain this goal.

Click here for maps showing the land purchase with our snowmobile trails overlaid.

Matt Mead
WSSA Publicity Secretary

C
Oct 17, 2012
Ronald, WA
Maybe the county should double the taxes on this land. Seems only fair since there will be no more timber revenue, timber jobs, and motorized recreation could pretty much vanish. Organizations like this only work when they have favorable tax breaks. Play hardball with them. Otherwise the upper county could take a real hit.

Premium Features