• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

primary slams hard on my 11 m8. just started, quick fix or time for a new primary?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
The '10 & '11 AC clutches, as well as the Diamond Drive shaft bearings do not hold up well. Depending upon the maintenance, 1000 to 1500 miles problems show up. Great sleds other wise, but look at both primary & secondary clutches & the DD gear box to find worn parts & replace as necessary before damage occurs. There are superior aftermarket replacement products available to keep these great sleds running thru the snow!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I pull my clutch off using the hydraulic method.
Metric grade 8.8 bolt (grade 5 sae)
M14 x 1.5 thread
I used white teflon tape but they say the yellow (for gas?) seals better

image.jpg

F
Jan 3, 2008
The '10 & '11 AC clutches, as well as the Diamond Drive shaft bearings do not hold up well. Depending upon the maintenance, 1000 to 1500 miles problems show up. Great sleds other wise, but look at both primary & secondary clutches & the DD gear box to find worn parts & replace as necessary before damage occurs. There are superior aftermarket replacement products available to keep these great sleds running thru the snow!

Mountain Cat, Can you elaborate on which aftermarket parts are better than stock. I would like to do some preventative maintenance on mine and wondering what I should replace.

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
Look for cracks in the spider, bushing wear & excessive slop in rollers. Replaced a bushing before season and spider broke last sunday. 3100 miles. Should have saved time and money and just bought new then. $345 shipped. New secondary before next yr.

Premium Features