• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

primary clutch question

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I changed out my weights in my 08 600 RMK today. I changed from 10-56 to 10-54 weights for mountain riding, but anyways after reinstalling the new ones I noticed that I could slide 1 weight side to side. The other two would not slide to the side at all. I can slide the bolt that holds the weight almost like there is no tension on just that one weight, the other two are a lot harder to move.

I really didn't feel like taking it apart again and trying a different set of weights to see if it was in the wieghts or the primary. But these weights that I installed are brand new.

Will this effect anything or should I have the clutches machined and balanced? They have about 1100 miles on them so far.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
The problem would be in the weights, pins or rollers and would most likely not be solved by machining and balancing. I'd bet that once you start and run the sled that all 3 weights would be pinned tight, also the minute that the engine starts running the weights will automatically get pinned against the roller anyhow due to centrifugal force.
I'd also suggest a thorough cleaning and inspection of the clutch to ensure it is not binding open slightly, which could also cause the belt to sheave clearance to be too tight and cause belt wear, squeeling and creeping of the sled.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
The sides of the weight mounting area do get worn over time-worse if you let the weight pin bushings get sloppy and if the tower button clearance gets excessive. we have used comet weight shims beside the weights when this area gets sloppy to tighten it back up. Be sure to shim all three to keep balance and shim on the drive side of the weight.There are variances in these clutches/weights also that can cause the rollers to not contact the weight ramps evenly-this could also be why you can move one pin and not the others.

curt

Last edited:
Premium Features