• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch issues?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
This crack goes all the way to the center of the clutch. The sheave still looks good...
~1,200 mi, 2019 Alpha.
Today, i was cruising at 74mph for a little while a few times, thats as fast as it will go, Half or full throttle.

Mostly cruising 55-65. We had lots of ground to cover in a short time.
Most every day i will hit 70-72mph for a short spurt. Always cruise at 40-55mph to get to the goods and on the way back to the truck.

If these are supposed to be disposable, they shouldn't cost $600+ to replace....

Sent it
6b4af68079eac5e1981dd3ff262749a7.jpg

Last edited:

Shane23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2012
Are you guys talking about issues like this. 1700 miles. I just checked everything on it about 300 miles ago. Didnt see any issues. Check for cracks almost daily and didnt see any before the ride. But I didnt check on the inside of the sheaves by the bearing. It could've started there but who knows now.

20200129_135258.jpg

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
So bringing this back up...
Is it helpful or not helpful to put an aftermarket clutch cover on? I noticed Ive got some cracking going on at about 1/2 the clutch cover bolts. Just like a couple pictures earlier in this thread. Sled has about 550 miles or so after this past weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I recommend to take the sled into the dealer. They should replace the complete clutch for you.
Install a Thunder products 911 cover on the new clutch. It’s the strongest aftermarket cover and has a larger bearing.

The cracks in the cover indicate the towers are flexing so they are now weakened.This could cause an departing of clutch pieces.

Maybe inquire if they have a clutch in stock and if not, how long to get one in. There was a back order a while back so you don’t want to have the sled held up at the dealer with fresh pow on the ground.

Excellent question to ask.Post an update with the sled later!

Last edited:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Recent '18 purchase, had ~1050 miles. Rode a day, then swapped weights. Found those small cover cracks but no where else (removed clutch, cleaned, inspected). Replaced cover with zrp, measured 0.020" between sheaves at full shift. Hopefully it stays together but I'll inspect often. I keep it under about 50mph on trail but likely hit full shift in the air at times.

F
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
A good cover with a decent bearing has to help.
Do a quick test on your primary with the stock cover. Easy to check right on the machine. Just grab and see how much it rocks the whole sheave, spyder, and related parts on a fully assembled clutch. You will be surprised how much free play there is in that cover bearing after you get some hours.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Thought I should put this back up ttt. Why would the center bearing fail? I mean is it just something that can happen occasionally?
I’m on clutch 2 in as many rides. 3 for the sled.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Man, that’s crazy. I saw one post where the guy saw sparks come from under the roller bearing. Was that you?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Man, that’s crazy. I saw one post where the guy saw sparks come from under the roller bearing. Was that you?

No, That wasn’t me. I didn’t see sparks either. But what mine was doing by mid day 1st ride, I was having belt squeal at idle and start up if it was shut off. It would squeal for about 5 seconds then stop.
Removed that clutch yesterday and the bearing was starting to show burning. Another new one is now on.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Why is it that the 18+ explode but the nearly identical 16/17 do not?
The significant difference is the larger center hole for the bearing.
That alone is not the cause... but may be the base for the cause? Or could it just be poor manufacturing?

Sent it

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Ive paid attention to the date stamps on the 3 I’ve had.
The first was aug 2017(cracked cover), second was
Sept. 2019 (seizing bearing), and the most recent is March 2019. Ive backed it off the truck and onto the trailer with no issues.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Why is it that the 18+ explode but the nearly identical 16/17 do not?
The significant difference is the larger center hole for the bearing.
That alone is not the cause... but may be the base for the cause? Or could it just be poor manufacturing?

Sent it

I sort of think the center bearing has something to do with the failures. Its real easy coming from previous sleds and just dealing with a little belt squeal. Usually it will stop after a few miles, maybe its set that way on purpose, maybe the belt is heated up. But if there’s squeal on these with the bearing, it needs attention. For example.....I could grab the bearing by hand and spin it until it would bind. Once it stopped or bound up, I could not move it. I would say when the bearing seizes, strange things could/likely will happen. Could be that they aren’t getting attention until its too late. Mine also had some odd burning and wear on the belt(30 miles). Just speculating with all of this.

Last edited:

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
All of our clutches have the same aproxmiles. Wondering if the slider bushings on the spider are the issue? Grab the inner sheve and outer cover , lots of play. Garbage clutch , plus can’t rebuild. Cat isn’t Gona keep up with the competition at this point and I hope they’re watching this Forum.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
All of our clutches have the same aproxmiles. Wondering if the slider bushings on the spider are the issue? Grab the inner sheve and outer cover , lots of play. Garbage clutch , plus can’t rebuild. Cat isn’t Gona keep up with the competition at this point and I hope they’re watching this Forum.
I noticed that the part numbers have changed from 18/19 to the 20/21 models

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
2019 alpha turbo 1800 trouble free miles. While inspecting clutch for this season I found cracks starting up from the pin weight, & the casting around them flaking off. New clutch otw with zrp cover and balance. Great sled easy on belts, ridden pretty hard sux to deal with a weak clutch though.

I have had the same awesome experience with the exploding clutch lucky it was 2 miles from the truck on the trail, an hour earlier it would have needed a chopper ride. It took out the entire left side of the sled including the pipe. Got the sled back from the dealer and noticed a horrible vibration after 30 miles brought it back and the crank is bent. So know I'm waiting on a short block from cat. Good thing i have 2 more years of warranty!! Sled only has 1100 miles.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I noticed my cover is flaking by the posts as well. The rest looks good........? Time for a stronger cover

Premium Features