• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch inspection

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
After much grunting and groaning (and a few ounces of whiskey) I managed to get my primary pulled tonight. My sled has about 2200 miles on it and I've been (lightly) riding it for 3 seasons now so I figure its way past due for an inspection. I have a pdf of the 02 deep snow manual but was wondering if anyone has any pointers. In a perfect world I would send it off to 1200psi and have him go through it, but I don't know if I can swing it. If the weights and bushings all seem tight is there any need to send it off? I have a micrometer and a set of calipers so I can take some measurements, but knowing what to check and where would be a huge help.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
There are shim tolerances INDYDAN will do to make the clutch better. Not sure if 1200psi will do but 1200psi will do a great balance for you.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Your buttons need to be as tight as they can be while not restricting movement. If you can feel any slop there they need shimmed. With a NEW belt, check your side clearance. .020" is the max tolerance. Better to be closer to 0. NO idling before your belt is broke in. Then with the spring off check the bushings, any looseness and they need changed. Check your rollers, any of them tight or too loose they need changed. If it all checks out then send it out to get balanced. Its pretty important to make sure all of this is ok unless you want a broken crank.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There is a "Sticky" post at the top of the IQ forum on this topic in GREAT detail by Ron...I copy it over here to.

For most of the work on your Primary, you will need special tools: a holding fixture that bolts to the bench (200+ ft. lbs torque), spider wrench, large torque wrench, bushing press tools etc...

IMO... I like sending in my clutches to www.indyspecialty.net, Indy Dan on the fourms here. He's done 4 for me and I'm nothing but happy with his work and the performance of the clutch!!

He completely goes thru the clutch: Thourough clean, resurfaces the faces of both shieves, new bushings, spyder rebuild, weight pins, weight bushings, it is shimed for your new belt... He then balances the clutch on a 2 plane balancer. Top notch work. He can make better than new what many shops throw out at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
With that kind of mileage your weight bushings are gone for sure and you may have ware in the pin area.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I'll be giving Dan a shout here shortly to see what he can do... I can't swing all the special tools needed to dive into it myself right now. It definitely needs a tune up that's for sure!

Premium Features