• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PR2 Racing ECU

E
Mar 3, 2017
Hi Guys

I have been trying to get ahold of Jeff with Pr2 since end of March 2021 about my ECU that got sent back to him. The ECU was not allowing the battery to recharge so it killed 2 batteries before i figured out the problem. Has anyone heard from him? The dealer who sold me the ECU Coopers Motorsports, told me that im **** out of luck if he doesnt respond as they are not going to do anything even though it was defective the day i purchased it. Im out $1000 and im not very happy about it and my ECU is gone.

Appreciate any info on what i should do.

Thanks

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
That's very odd. Jeff has been great to deal with in my experience. Worked through an issue with one of my ecus with him and he was always prompt to reply. Unfortunately you will get 0 help from coopers on anything. Since Ben left the service has gone to complete garbage. Hopefully you can get it sorted directly with pr2.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Jeff was available and answered the phone last Wednesday. The number on his web site.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Seems like his (PR2) service and response time is diminishing these days. completely hit and miss if you manage to get ahold of him. I have customers with similar experiences and have missed substantial parts of the riding season waiting for Jeff to reply and/or ship.
I have tried to correspond with him as well but gave up.
I would recommend C3Powersports PLX ECU's. Same Vortex box, better service and great snowbike tunes. They may be able to reflash your ECU. PM me if you are in Western Canada, I am a dealer for C3 and can help.

C
Apr 22, 2019
All our PR2,s were a joke, Stock ECU ran stronger, I sent back several times and then switched to C3 which are strong.
That has not been my experience when working with later model KTM's...all of the Vortex ignitions that we got from Jeff ran stronger on the dyno than the stock ECU's did. We did end up tweeking Jeff's tuning for the particular application of parts and found even more hp and tq...but overall I would say that PR2 does a good job of tuning. Anyone can lean out the fueling, and advance the timing and eak out more...but unless you are doing it on a dyno for a specific setup ...you are also playing with fire in that reliability goes out the window. C3 also writes some good tunes...but not any better or worse than PR2 when checking them on a dyno...One might produce a little more hp...and the other a little more torque at any given RPM...just my observations. But if someone is providing better customer service than others...that is probably the place to go.

Last edited:
E
Mar 3, 2017
Thank for your feedback, i have tried calling half a dozen times and been emailing since feb. I recieved an email response in march and then radio silence since. I left a message with the suspension shop as well. Its very weird. As for the ECU, i noticed significant more pull with it, but still had issues with some pops and sputters no matter what the map. As for it not charging, im not sure, i replaced the battery and had the bike checked out for a bad stator but in the end when i switched out the ECU to stock my charge came back. Be wary of coopers, they dont stand behind the products they sell and pass the buck.

Ill keep trying, i have no choice. At this point all i want is my money back.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We ran stock, Pr2, Raze and C3 , took them all up on same climb and swapped them all on the hill and made same pull.. The C3 pulled much higher Rpm , The Pr2 ran soo horrible and also used much more fuel than all the others, Jeff worked on the ECU 3 times and it never was better than stock.The only PR2 that ran correctly was on a 500 XCW .

C
Apr 22, 2019
We ran stock, Pr2, Raze and C3 , took them all up on same climb and swapped them all on the hill and made same pull.. The C3 pulled much higher Rpm , The Pr2 ran soo horrible and also used much more fuel than all the others, Jeff worked on the ECU 3 times and it never was better than stock.The only PR2 that ran correctly was on a 500 XCW .
What were your thoughts on the Raze compared to the Vortex with the C3 tunes in it?
I have not messed with the Raze stuff...as I don't have the cables or software to program it.

Chris

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
What were your thoughts on the Raze compared to the Vortex with the C3 tunes in it?
I have not messed with the Raze stuff...as I don't have the cables or software to program it.

Chris
The Raze ran clean, PR2 ran rich off the bottom and horrible mileage , C3 ran crisp and pulled another 500 rpm on the top over all the competitors .

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
His Vortex and throttle body bore combo is good for 4-5 hp and 4-5 ft/lbs of torque...a very good combo in my opinion!
Thanks for response. Have you had experience with the different intakes on the dyno? Jeff mentioned for Hp the stock intake runner is hard to beat? Had a great chat with him about length and how it changes the bike running. I am running a afr gauge so will be able to adjust fuel trims with vortex. Have a c3 intake on shelf just not sure if I am going to use it? Pm if you like? Would be nice to know what afr to shoot for power wise in mid to WO throttle.

C
Apr 22, 2019
Thanks for response. Have you had experience with the different intakes on the dyno? Jeff mentioned for Hp the stock intake runner is hard to beat? Had a great chat with him about length and how it changes the bike running. I am running a afr gauge so will be able to adjust fuel trims with vortex. Have a c3 intake on shelf just not sure if I am going to use it? Pm if you like? Would be nice to know what afr to shoot for power wise in mid to WO throttle.
The stock 450sx intake is hard to beat generally, and does better than the stock 500 intake even with the reeds removed from the 500 intake. An airforce intake tuned to length for a specific application will outperform the SX intake. I have tested many intakes on both ktm 450's and 500's on a dyno.

Premium Features