• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power Valve Cable Replacement. Relearn?

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I recently replaced the PV cables on mine and my friends sled. Both seem to operate correctly with no shown codes or CEL. How does one know if they need a relearn on them? I see people talk about cable length settings as well. I see no wat to adjust this. It just bolts up with no adjustment. Maybe I missed something? I made sure nothing is coming in contact with the pistons.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I recently replaced the PV cables on mine and my friends sled. Both seem to operate correctly with no shown codes or CEL. How does one know if they need a relearn on them? I see people talk about cable length settings as well. I see no wat to adjust this. It just bolts up with no adjustment. Maybe I missed something? I made sure nothing is coming in contact with the pistons.

No issues replacing on two sleds without relearn.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I replaced mine without doing a relearn. Then about 200 miles later it threw a engine code 520325. Engine light would only come on at WOT. Dealer relearned it and all good.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Did you set new cable back to same position as the old cable - ie measure or count or mark exposed threads / distance to bracket / etc.?

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

The cable is not adjustable.

You just tighten the nut on each end.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Just did the cable replace and exhaust valve clean up on 18 800 163 with 2200 miles, as the cable failed at the exhaust valve end and took in in for relearn at dealer and first trip out was no problems but we had no powder to ride in (spring hard surface with 5 inches of light snow , but all seems to fine. The only PITA in the whole job is that you need to get the steering vertical post out of the way to get the valve body removed from the front of the engine, there was no Polaris planning went into this!!!
gtwitch in wyoming

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just did the cable replace and exhaust valve clean up on 18 800 163 with 2200 miles, as the cable failed at the exhaust valve end and took in in for relearn at dealer and first trip out was no problems but we had no powder to ride in (spring hard surface with 5 inches of light snow , but all seems to fine. The only PITA in the whole job is that you need to get the steering vertical post out of the way to get the valve body removed from the front of the engine, there was no Polaris planning went into this!!!
gtwitch in wyoming

Take the upper portion of the EV assembly off first. (Loosen the cable nut)

Comes out easy then.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I have done this numerous times, I just remove the front steering tie rod end, then the bushing in the lower steering post, as it will move out of the way enough.
As you pull the exhaust valves out, just pull the valves in the full open position with a finger and rotate the assembly up and out. Fast and simple, same when installing them.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
There's no need to remove the steering post, just removing the outer cover on the upper part of the EV assembly gives you ample clearance. As long as you don't start your sled or electronically run your actuator while unhooked there shouldn't be any need for a relearn. Mine has been disassembled and reassembled numerous times without the re-learn and all is fine.

Premium Features